FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Australian Uranium in India

mickgardner
I wanted to raise the issue of Australian Uraniam in India.
The topic has come up again this week with the Australian Prime Ministers visit to the USA.
Some have said that because India has not signed the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty that Australia should not export Uranium to them.

I say that this is just posturing.

How can Australia on the one hand export to China, but on the other not to India. Can it be guaranteed that china has not exported or onsold to other countries like North Korea? Australia realy needs to decide under what circumstances it exports uranium and say so out loud to everyone. The NNTP is but a flimsy bit of paper and guarantees nothing. In reality is it not more prudent to ascertain the quality of the country and its use of the product and then decide on a case by case basis? I find India to be a peace loving and indipendant nation. I have not doubt India would profit from it as it gains a more secure and reliable electricity supply.
manumiglani
Yes, There is no reason why India should not be given Uranium by Australia.
India can certainly satisfy its domestic energy needs from the Nuclear energy and Australia can get real $$ for this. ALso, It will lessen the pressure on the oil market and help in price reduction of crude oil.