FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

hard drive issues...

Saber
Hey, I just bought a 300gb sata harddrive for my pc. I have an older copy of windows xp and so it wasnt able to format more than 128gb of it. So I spliced a new cd with windows xp and service pack 1. That then allows be to format the 278gb (because the 300 gb is counded by a mb as 1000 and not 1024, etc)... Anyways.. Now I have a few problems... (www.kodamakage.frih.net/cpuz for cpu specks)

There are more than one choice of "windows" to start up... even with one drive in the pc..

The first choice only works if I have both drive in(my old and the new, with both drives)

The second doesnt work, and gives me an error saying "Error in your ARC configuration"

The third choice works if I have my old drive in.

My question(s) are
A. How to get rid of the extra drive start up listings.
B. How to get a working install on the 300gb drive
B.2 there was a time that I think I got it to install but then it started giving me the arch error
C. Why do computers hate me...
Ducksteina
A. Look at C:\boot.ini and edit/delete entries in the section operating systems. But be careful, if you do a mistake, you won't be able to boot anything. So make a backup!

B. I'd recommend formatting everything and doing a clean install. The oldest and fastest way to solve problems with Windows. Laughing

B2. No idea, sorry

C. Check out Murphy's law!
FerSx
Ducksteina wrote:
A. Look at C:\boot.ini and edit/delete entries in the section operating systems. But be careful, if you do a mistake, you won't be able to boot anything. So make a backup!

B. I'd recommend formatting everything and doing a clean install. The oldest and fastest way to solve problems with Windows. Laughing

B2. No idea, sorry

C. Check out Murphy's law!

Yep a clean install shuld help u get rid of all yours problems, and it will be better for your system anyway.

BTW make shure u select the proper IDE-SATA HD to boot from in your bios.
Boles Roor
You might want to check the SATA connections on your motherboard. If you have two, or maybe even four, put it the other if you have 2 and in the third if you have four. I had the same problem as you, changed my connection to the third and everything worked perfectly.
brad31337
A tool such as partition magic may solve the problem Smile
Saber
Thanks for all your help, after streamlining some cds... and failing.... I finally got one to work. I got eerything set up right now, thanks for your help.

@brad31337 great program, I had forgoten about it.... I have an older ligit copy... but I dont even know what the key is... when you install it, it asks for a key, you put nothing in, hit next it says " Even that the key you provided is not valid, do you wish to continue to install?" ..... one day.. I will find my key.. I know its somewhere... but untill that day..

Thanks again.
openaasman
i am getting problem in my hard disk when i install operating system, but it works alright once installed after a long process of retry.

when i install windows 2000 i started getting blue screen with some hardware problem stated. i asked many people they says there is some problem in hard disk.

please help me out of it.
ForceRun
Your first problem is Win2k, pay the $80 and get XP, if you have both SATA and IDE hard drives: disconnect all drives but the drive or RAID Drives you want the system installed and than do a format and install the new clean system. (If you don't disconnect Windows will install a small part of the system on the other drives, mainly the C: IDE) After the system is fully installed and you have loaded the MoBos chipset and Drive Driver, than power down and connect the other drive, mount them using 'Computer Management' under the Administrator Tool. And select the Disk Management sub program. That should solve you hard disk system problems.
Muscae
openaasman wrote:
i am getting problem in my hard disk when i install operating system, but it works alright once installed after a long process of retry.

when i install windows 2000 i started getting blue screen with some hardware problem stated. i asked many people they says there is some problem in hard disk.

please help me out of it.

first, write what hard drive you have (IDE/SATA and model),
but i think that your PSU is broken, try on other PSU (borrow from your frined or smt), try change power cable connected to you hdd and CD/DVD (exchange with free ones).
psycosquirrel
ForceRun wrote:
Your first problem is Win2k, pay the $80 and get XP

Whoa there, 2000 is better than XP. It has less security issues, uses less resources, and is more stable. Therefore, it is a better OS. Sometimes getting drivers can be annoying, but the PATA/SATA drivers are always preinstalled...
ForceRun
I used to use Windows 2k back in the day, it was the beta for XP, first main systems based on the NT (Originally NT 5) not Dos like Win98, and it was much better than Windows 2000. XP (NT 6) made networking ten times easily and I have found it to be more stable. I guess Windows 2000 would be more secure just because so few people use it so is not worth spyware makers’ time to corrupt. But on the same point support for Win2k is not going to be around for very much longer and I personally see it worth the time and effort to hang on to an old OS. Confused