FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ip aliasing in win xp (networking guys .. look in )

Xavier
n Linux I can easly creat alias ie. virtual ethernet which can be added to LAN as if its separate physical NIC. ie. I can use single ethernet as multiple ethernet (NIC = Network interface card) .

Now I want to do same in windows. What I want that if I can create virtual NIC and it can be pingable to the LAN to which I am physically connected.
eg.
Lets say my LAN is 172.28.29.1 - 172.28.29.6 , now I want to do Ip aliasing on computer with addres 172.28.29.6 and want to add 172.28.29.7 on it. Note a.. 172.28.29.7 is not an actually NIC but virtual NIC created on 172.28.29.6 . So if anyone ping 172.28.29.7 from lan then he might get it as separate physical NIC.

In linux all above is possible but I donno how to do same in Windos, I hv to do that in winXP . I have tried to provide info as much as I can. So if any body has any idea , suggestion. Please let me know.
ben.lastname
I don't think there would be windows command for that so I think that you would be looking for virtual hardware. I know that VMware uses a software driver for it's virtual interfaces but you probably aren't willing to pay for that. This appears to be what you want.

http://www.ntkernel.com/w&p.php?id=32
Akselus
Xavier wrote:
I want to do Ip aliasing on computer with addres 172.28.29.6 and want to add 172.28.29.7 on it. Note a.. 172.28.29.7 is not an actually NIC but virtual NIC created on 172.28.29.6 . So if anyone ping 172.28.29.7 from lan then he might get it as separate physical NIC.

you can obtain this quite easy in windows.
Go to Network and Dial-up Connections, select your NIC connection, R-mouse and selsect Properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select Properties. Next select Advanced and just click add.. over ip addresses box.
You can add as many ip addreses as you want, all will be visable from your lan.
Hope it's what you need.