FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SAT- Longer Time Given for Wealthy Kids

prepkid
I was looking through websites about the SAT, and I was shocked to find that there was a listing for the various classrooms students should go to on the date of the SAT, if they were taking the SAT under extended time.

The school is almost impossible to get into, so I could not imagine how so many students qualified for additional time. Someone did a research and I found out that parents of very wealthy children are shopping around and paying huge amounts of money to psychologists and educational consultants who are willing to tell them that their child has learning disability so that they may get extra time on the SAT!!!

While the percentage of those needed extra time is typically at 2%, ever since the collegeboard stopped flagging who was taking the SAT under extended time conditions, the number has risen to 15%. That means that of the 1.5 million students who take the SAT each year, about 200,000 are taking them under extended time conditions.

Many of these students are in honors and AP courses who are at the top of their class, and therefore giving them extended time is just ridculous AND unfair. Because of a privacy issue, collegeboard is not permitted to report to colleges who has taken the exams under those conditions- the college won't, that means, know if you had an advantage over others.

I'm sure almost half the students who take the test will be able to do well if given extra time.

While there is a procedure of diagnostic tests and examinations to get extended time, parents often shop around until they find the one person who will make the (FAKE) diagnosis. Many private prep schools across the country either encourage the diagnosis or do not discourage it. Afterall, higher SAT scores leads to a higher number of ivy league admissions and happier parents.

This is not a fair. AT ALL.

You can read more about the article here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=1787712&page=2

Tell me what you think. No one can possibly say THIS is fair.
alexcheng
What can I say, life's unfair.

I mean you can be one of the people on the sidelines complaining about everything or you can just suck it up and try harder.

The way I see it, there are a lot worse things in life than someone getting a bit more time for their SATs than you.
CrimsonStrange
Without complaining, voicing your opinion & drawing attention to a subject/situation/problem, nothing will ever be done to right the wrongs in our world.

That whole SAT situation is just one more example of the wealthy keeping the "financially challenged" down and under control.

Personally, I think that most of those wealthy kids do have a learning disability - they don't & probably will never understand or be able to deal with anything outside of their secure, money-lined world that their parents constructed for them. That's one of the dangers of never having to struggle or sacrifice - you're totally unprepared and oblivious to bad luck/hard times/misfortune.
juliox
Hi, well what can i say, just you have to concentrate on your things, i know that it may be unfair, but believe me that might not happen, and nesides the time on the SAT it is a great time, even one can manage on either the verbal or the Math sides, in my case i did well on the Math even i finish the math before time and i got on the math part 782 and i finished it before time, but on the other side on the verbal part i gotg 600 and because the verbal part is not my strong part as you can see, but people has to continue with their goals as you got your.
Scorpio
CrimsonStrange wrote:
Without complaining, voicing your opinion & drawing attention to a subject/situation/problem, nothing will ever be done to right the wrongs in our world.

That whole SAT situation is just one more example of the wealthy keeping the "financially challenged" down and under control.

Personally, I think that most of those wealthy kids do have a learning disability - they don't & probably will never understand or be able to deal with anything outside of their secure, money-lined world that their parents constructed for them. That's one of the dangers of never having to struggle or sacrifice - you're totally unprepared and oblivious to bad luck/hard times/misfortune.

Well said, Crimson.

We are better prepared for facing everything life throws at us since we face so many challenges while coming to the top.

Since these kids dont, all they know is about boardroom meetings and dining at the Ritz.

One can never say how the world may change. All it requires is a few minutes or seconds. We must be happy in the fact that we are better qualified as an individual and are fit to live on this planet than others, instead of just whining
alexcheng
CrimsonStrange wrote:

Well said, but slightly hypocritical if you ask me. Yes, it's true a proportionally small population of the US holds a disproportionately large amount of the wealth. And yes its true, a lot of the things these wealthy people do is VERY unfair for, as you put it, the "financially challenged".

I mean, this SAT example is a very small one, think about all the other ways a wealthy, connected, individual can ensure their child gets a good education/job/wealth etc. They can hook up a job at some huge company that they have connections with, they can donate a lot money to a school, etc etc.

But what I'm trying to say is, that's just life. You can't change that fact, all YOU can do is try harder to get out of the ratrace. And compared to other parts of the world, coming from a family"financially challenged", it is more than possible to get a good education and great job if you are capable. That is, if that's what you want. There are so many great outs in this 'great land of opportunity' that there's really little reason to waste time complaining about it. But that, I suppose, is just another freedom granted by the States. But that is neither here nor there and I digress.
CrimsonStrange
Great rebuttal, alexcheng! That "financially challenged" in italics... that's a B.S. phrase I've been hearing & reading a lot in the news lately, along with "negative cashflow position".

I fail to see how my remarks were hypocritical...

I suppose I'm just bitter, and I apologize for being so.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that money opens doors that will always be locked for those without money... whether you're talking about the latest medical treatments, an excellent education, (which I don't think an ivy league school can give any more than a community college), a well-running vehicle, etc.

It's a matter of having the ability to choose what you truly want, rather than being forced to take what's offered, even if what's offered is clearly sub-standard/deficient/unsafe/practically useless.

The point is not the extra time given to take an SAT - the point is that because of having the money to pay-off a shrink and cheat a flawed system, their kids get an unfair advantage over other students.

And for a future scenario that amounts to basically the same thing;

Bob and John apply for the same job at a company.
They've both got identical credentials, educations, and skills.
They both give equally impressive interviews, but...

John gets the job because he's wearing a new $1,000 suit and Bob came to the interview in a suit he's had for 10 years, because he can't afford to get a new one... which is just one reason why Bob needed the job in the first place.
alexcheng
Forgive me for not explaining why I thought what you said was slightly hypocritical.

But let's take this discussion outside the developed country bubble for one second. Let's imagine that North America is not the only place in the world that matters. Let's... for example, take a look at Romania.

We'll do a small comparision here with regards to overall living standards and such for the year 2005. All the information I've taken from the CIA website so I'm assuming they are more or less pretty accurate.

Just a bit of background info on Romania, 22 million population VS ~300 million for the states.

GDP Per Capita

USA = $42,000
Romania = $8,400

Average american spends and makes about 5x as much as the average Romanian does.

Population below Poverty Line

USA = 12%
Romania = 25%

Twice as many poor people per capita.

Oil Consumption

USA = 20.03 million barrels/day
Romania = 235,000 barrels/day

So the USA has about 15 times the population of Romania, but uses about 100 times more oil.

Ok... well I'm sure you're getting my point. Just for being born in the US, you're pretty much gauranteed a life that is on average ALOT better than the rest of the world. It's just like being born in a rich family, you're gauranteed a lot better chances at life as well.

But this is all talking about it in a financial sense, I believe there's a lot more to life than just SPENDING and CONSUMING more. Of course, many of us will never see the inside of a presidential suite in a 5 star hotel or the inside of a private jet. But we've also gotta realize that a huge proportion of the world's population is still living in what we would consider complete and absolute poverty. I picked Romania here as a point of comparision completely randomly, I can assure you there are many other places in the world that is living in much MUCH worse conditions both on the economic and human rights front.

I've had the benifit of living in China for the last year and I've seen some really sad things. The living standards here are terrible, you see poverty all over the place, living conditions are 'teh suck'. I've talked to a lot of waiters/waitresses or other low income workers and they talk about having 1 day off a month while working 10-12 hours a day. And do I have to tell you that their wages amount to something like 100 US/month? Of course, cost of living here is also a lot cheaper, but anyone having to work those types of conditions in the states would be making proportionately a LOT more than these people. And this is in Beijing, their CAPITAL city. Imagine what it's like out in the boonies.

So as you can see, when I hear about someone complaining about 'rich' people getting more time on their SAT test, I am slightly offended.

And I AM bitter and I don't apologize for it because what is unfair to me is that people can complain about the SMALLEST inequality while ignoring such HUGE inequities all around the world. And THAT is what I find hypocritical.

This is nothing against you CrimsonStrange, you've displayed nothing but tact and class in your discussions with me, and I didn't mean for it to get into such a full blown discussion. In fact, you've shown more intelligence than most I've had forum discussions with and I thank you for not throwing all that immaturity around.

In the end, I think what I've been trying to say is that SAT scores really aren't all that important. The fact is that what we consider rich and poor is within the developed country context and sometimes we forget that there are those out there that are much less fortunate than we are.
CrimsonStrange
alexcheng, you're one of the most intellectual people I've ever had the pleasure of conversing with. And you flatter me with your respect and compliments. Thank you, so much.

And I think you're absolutely right, in all aspects.

I'm not educated, experienced or worldly enough to fully understand a lot about the events/people outside of what I know.
My life, the little area of time & space that I occupy is very small, and will probably always be so.
I complain a lot about stupid things, and I know it's pointless and shallow. I reckon I inherited it from my mother & grandmother. LoL

And I apologize for being hypocritical - thank you for opening up my eyes about a lot of subjects that I had briefly considered, but never really pondered long enough to completely understand.

I've always maintained that you cannot compare tragedies or triumphs - they're both relative to your own values, experiences and understanding.
Maybe that's just a safe assumption...

You're right - the US basically has it made, and we're destroying our "good thing" by trying to always be better than the rest of the world.

Thank you for all of your brilliant insight and compassion, alexcheng. I won't forget it. Smile
webcola
From what I believe, I think it is somewhat an unfair advantage for rich kids but since affirmative action exists in the selection process of colleges, it kinda evens out in the end.
NewGuyinTown
It does not really matter if the rich kids score high in SATs... They have a quality education from the start. If the rich kid is motivated enough at a very young age, he could finish MultiVariable Calculus and maybe high school by somewhere around when we have 5 to 6 years of education (5th and 6th grade).

What makes you special spawns hatred elsewhere. We are all ticked off when we do not get equal treatment. Ofcourse as Alexceng mentioned, there are poeple less fortunate than us. We are lucky that we can live in a house/apartment and have a computer/connection. Would you like to live as a poor African in Africa, where famine and diseases ravage over the land?
alexcheng
that's pretty crazy to be in grade 6 and be capable of doing multivariable calculus. It happens, but not just cuz ur motivated and from a rich family... I'm thinking.. maybe if ur a frickin genius:P

Also, I knew alot of people in highschool that got really good grades and were really good at studying and then just ended up bombing it in first year university because of the lack of structure and someone basically telling you what you have to do to succeed.

Alot of the people who actually did quite well in University were the people who were the biggers slackers but were really good at cramming exams. I've known people who's marks go down by 10% on average, but on the other end of the spectrum, i've known people who've gotten their grades go up by 10% just because there's a lot less brownie points given out in university, and things like attendance etc. don't matter that much.
sour_lemon_1k
The SAT was never a fair topic in the first place.

In addition to extended time, there is also racism (despite the new test, they do still have those), gender bias, and income bias. OKay, maybe you can shake off the racism and gender bias, but the incom bias is very straight forward. Those with more income are likely to afford better prep courses for the SAT, giving them more points on the SAT. They can also bribe, like you said, for extended time. Of course, being the shitty thing collegeboard is, they make up lame excuses like, "oh, prep courses only help the student get a FEW more points," which is absolute crap. I had a friend who got a 2300 on the SAT who had an advanced prep class for four years during high school, while my other friend, who had no prep class at all, got a 2000. I mean, three hundred points is A LOT on the SAT.

Frankly, the collegeboard should get up off their lazy asses and do something.
senstephen
Ya in today's world money matter and i agree that you have best material in hand. But i refuse that only rich candidate score high as it depend on once intelletual level and hardwork. Now, a days online too you can get a best study material which are absolutely free.They are many sites having good content on sat material.
Myself too take content from Sat Books.

Thanking You
Senstephen
sat Books