FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Manga fans?

SFMeatwad
Anyone here know what Manga is and read it the CORRECT way?

To read Manga, you do what?

(ONLY TRUE MANGA READERS KNOW THIS ANSWER!)

I own about one hundred manga books. Sooo sweet.
ehecatl
Read right to left! Duh! *hits forehead* *owns 500$ worth of manga and more in anime* ^_^ *proud* Wink
eku53ru
I believe you really can read it any way you want - it just depends on what is available to you in your country. It also depends on what you define manga as. XD I read both left to right and right to left, in Japanese, in English, and also have a bit of a collection in my home (~50 tankoubon and ~50 English manga).
ltbennett
i draw manga comics and yes i know how 2 read them but it does depend on the one your reading eg. battle royal grafic novels right to left top to bottom but some others use left to right i honastly dont mind whitch way they goi just enjoy reading them and drawing my own

thx

bennett
Scaramanga
eku53ru wrote:
It also depends on what you define manga as.

As I understand it, the industry itself defines manga as any comic that originates from Japan. It's manhwa if it's Korean and in Chinese it's manua (pronounced more like the Korean but using the same kanji as the Japanese.) All the other stuff (i.e. American/Western produced comics,) that is influenced by a certain manga style, ISN'T manga. Megatokyo? Nope, NOT manga, Fred's just been strongly influenced by Japanese mangaka. For a while the industry was kicking around terms like OEL (Original English Language) and Amerimanga, but I think both of those have kind of fallen out of favour with fans.
TeK
I love manga. I read more manga than I watch anime...
Scaramanga
Addendum to my earlier post:
According to an ANN article, the new term for non-Japanese manga/comics is Global Manga (which is confusing, because it STILL uses the appellation 'manga', which it ain't.)
ltbennett
Scaramanga wrote:
Addendum to my earlier post:
According to an ANN article, the new term for non-Japanese manga/comics is Global Manga (which is confusing, because it STILL uses the appellation 'manga', which it ain't.)

so true
eku53ru
Scaramanga wrote:
As I understand it, the industry itself defines manga as any comic that originates from Japan. It's manhwa if it's Korean and in Chinese it's manua (pronounced more like the Korean but using the same kanji as the Japanese.) All the other stuff (i.e. American/Western produced comics,) that is influenced by a certain manga style, ISN'T manga. Megatokyo? Nope, NOT manga, Fred's just been strongly influenced by Japanese mangaka. For a while the industry was kicking around terms like OEL (Original English Language) and Amerimanga, but I think both of those have kind of fallen out of favour with fans.

I'm quite aware of all this; I'm not as unknowledged as you find me to be (though in the end, your posts may prove to be more helpful to others, so I thank you for summarizing this tidbit of info). =P I was trying to point out the fact that there is more than one definition of manga (in my case, I've found that in Japan it's generally used to refer to any comic, much like anime is used for any cartoon), even though there may be a generally-accepted norm for it. Sorry for the confusion/ambiguity on my part; you probably could've saved yourself a bit of typing if I had been more specific.

On the manua note, I've seen it spelled as manhua, not manua (and also manhwa, but that may prove to be confusing when manwha is in the same sentence). I've also seen manhwa spelled manwha, too. I'm not sure if Animerica is a creditable source to base my spellings on, though. >.<

I already know that MT is not manga, and I wasn't trying to post saying it was (though you are right in giving it as an example; even now, I still think of it as just a rather successful webcomic). I've heard the terms OEL manga and Amerimanga used before, but like you, I don't really like the names. To be honest, I first heard of OEL when I was browsing the Tokyopop forum during its opening days. The note about global manga is rather interesting, though - thanks for linking to it. =)
Scaramanga
eku53ru wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:

I'm quite aware of all this; I'm not as unknowledged as you find me to be (though in the end, your posts may prove to be more helpful to others, so I thank you for summarizing this tidbit of info).

I wasn't implying that you were knowledgable or not, you said "It also depends on what you define manga as." So I gave what is the most commonly accepted definition amongst fans and the industry alike.
eku53ru
Scaramanga wrote:
I wasn't implying that you were knowledgable or not, you said "It also depends on what you define manga as." So I gave what is the most commonly accepted definition amongst fans and the industry alike.

I apologize for my assumption. I had posted that "it also depends on what you define manga as" in order to point out the multiple meanings of manga out there. I was just poking at the fact that, in one sense, the "true manga fan" is hard to define.
ltbennett
soon as i get a scanner i can show u some of the manga i draw
Scaramanga
eku53ru wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:

I apologize for my assumption. I had posted that "it also depends on what you define manga as" in order to point out the multiple meanings of manga out there. I was just poking at the fact that, in one sense, the "true manga fan" is hard to define.

Honestly, I couldn't even begin to tell you what a "true manga fan" IS, and I've been involved with anime and manga for over 10 years. I don't think that enjoying your manga left to right makes you any less of a fan than someone who reads it unreversed. It's just like the whole sub vs. dub argument, and it's pretty moot.
shinnoyami
I enjoy reading mangas, although i can't read japanese so i get them translated in french or english. it really depends on the distributor on if it's left to right or right to left.. right now it seems like more companies are trying to get the original japanese way because it's more in demand.
i have about 40 mangas.. i'm currently reading Hellsing
eku53ru
Scaramanga wrote:

Honestly, I couldn't even begin to tell you what a "true manga fan" IS, and I've been involved with anime and manga for over 10 years. I don't think that enjoying your manga left to right makes you any less of a fan than someone who reads it unreversed. It's just like the whole sub vs. dub argument, and it's pretty moot.

That's the point I was getting at in my original post - there really isn't a solid definition for a "true manga fan"; there are only a collection of opinions, since what the thread owner believes to be a "true" fan may conflict with your or my opinion of something like that. XD
exarkun
Yup, eku53ru is right about that. You don't have to be owning over 200+ manga collections to be really called a 'true' manga fan. In my opinion, all you need is to be able to 'appriciate' the true beauty of it.
SFMeatwad
I do understand and I cherish the beauty of Manga, Otaku, etc etc.

It's just all too good!
rightclickscott
As far I see it, there isn't much bueaty behind it. First, Anime and Manga were things made for kids, you know, like the Japanese equivalent of Bugs Bunny cartoons. Then, Osamu Tezuka created Astro Boy, and became the "god of anime." He took the kiddy cartoons and put a mature spin on it. I don't see much bueaty because all it is to me is, in it's recent carnation, a series of stories from people who have grown up in a country that, most of the time, is incredibly perverted. Sure, there are some stand out titles with great stories, but the thing is, Japan is a breast loving country. That's why you also see schoolgirls with double d's in anime. Because of all the excersize that kids have when they are young, there aren't of big breasts left in Japan, well, not until they started serving McDonalds, then general breasts went up a cup size. S'all true.

Anyways, what I'm trying to rant about is that I don't understand the obsession that Otakus have. I see anime just like I see any other cartoon, the only reason it's different is that it tends to have more mature themes than American cartoons or comics. I'm not complaining, though. I just don't think I'll ever see myself cosplaying my favorite Samurai Champloo character.
jasmine
I am so envious of people with manga collections. Mangas are so expensive in my area so I can't afford them. The mangas I have now are actually scanlations so I'm not really sure if that counts. Smile

Anyways, I love manga. I may not be able to read much now since I don't have the time (working and extra-curricular activities) but I absolutely love the art and the stories.

And the genres you can find are absolutely limitless! You can always find a manga that would suit your personality and likes. Very Happy
exarkun
Well, I am sure scanlations counts too. It is a scanned version of the original true version of the manga, so nothing should be missing in scanlations. The only thing that you don't own the copy.
jasmine
Yea, though there is something satisfying about seeing a row of manga on your bookshelves. *twinkle eyes*

I once came to this manga store at a mall and it was literally a Library of mangas. Only problem is, there were all in japanese, not translated. Sad
grimscythe
I own a lot of manga too , they're cheap in my country , but they only sell a few , 'cuz it takes quite some time to translate them, anyway , since i have to wait for the manga (which takes a few months for a new volume Confused ) i also watch scanlations , i don't know which sites you guys use , but here are my favourites : www.stoptazmo.com and www.downloadanime.org
If there's anyone who has more scanlation links , i'd be thankfull if you could post them Very Happy
Tac-Tics
Real manga fans read them in Japanese Wink

I own about 40 or 50 mangabooks. 95% of them are imports. I have trouble reading some of them, but I really enjoy the easier ones.

If you have no read them, I highly recommend I"s <aizu> by Masakazu Katsura and Q-taro Hanamizawa's REC. They are my absolute favorite. I also enjoy Tsubasa, Chobits, and Card Captor Sakura (suspiciously all from CLAMP....).
aiden_thomas
Manga is extremly good. I own around 30 manga books.
Mainly love hina, EVA, and hellsing.
Over here, it is quite expensive, at around $18 a book. I try to get them where ever i can, but it is hard when no where sells them besides Electronics Boutic, and Empire Toy.

[drool]Empire Toys[/drool]
jasmine
Tac-Tics wrote:
I also enjoy Tsubasa, Chobits, and Card Captor Sakura (suspiciously all from CLAMP....).

Manga from CLAMP are the best! The details are awesome and plots can be so extraordinary!
sketteksalfa
[quote="Tac-Tics"]Real manga fans read them in Japanese Wink
quote]

im studying Nihongo now and i think i can improve this skill better if i read interesting mangas in Nihongo. Tac-tics, do you know some links where i can find mangas in nihongo form. or can you send me some of yours. hehe..
Tac-Tics
sketteksalfa wrote:
im studying Nihongo now and i think i can improve this skill better if i read interesting mangas in Nihongo. Tac-tics, do you know some links where i can find mangas in nihongo form. or can you send me some of yours. hehe..

I'm at a lack of Japanese IME right now, but the approprite word here would be nihongo-han, meaning Japanese edition/version).

I have never really been one to enjoy reading manga on my computer. All my Japanese manga is actual print.
www.sasugabooks.com - their web site is a bit slow at times, but it works
www.amazon.co.jp - they just accepted international purchases about a year(?) ago.

Aside from Amazon.co.jp's international shipping rates (about $3 for every $5 you spend... a tad high), manga in Japanese are typically a lot less than the English versions. Most run for as little as $5 (as opposed to $10 for English).
Scaramanga
Tac-Tics wrote:
sketteksalfa wrote:

I'm at a lack of Japanese IME right now, but the approprite word here would be nihongo-han, meaning Japanese edition/version).

I have never really been one to enjoy reading manga on my computer. All my Japanese manga is actual print.
www.sasugabooks.com - their web site is a bit slow at times, but it works
www.amazon.co.jp - they just accepted international purchases about a year(?) ago.

Aside from Amazon.co.jp's international shipping rates (about $3 for every $5 you spend... a tad high), manga in Japanese are typically a lot less than the English versions. Most run for as little as $5 (as opposed to $10 for English).

Also, I'd recommend that if you're in the US (or Australia) you can look for Kinokuniya bookstores near you, and they will almost always have a pretty good selection of Japanese tankoubon. And Tac-Tics already mentioned the excellent Sasuga Books.
supposing
rightclickscott wrote:
As far I see it, there isn't much bueaty behind it. First, Anime and Manga were things made for kids, you know, like the Japanese equivalent of Bugs Bunny cartoons. Then, Osamu Tezuka created Astro Boy, and became the "god of anime." He took the kiddy cartoons and put a mature spin on it. I don't see much bueaty because all it is to me is, in it's recent carnation, a series of stories from people who have grown up in a country that, most of the time, is incredibly perverted. Sure, there are some stand out titles with great stories, but the thing is, Japan is a breast loving country. That's why you also see schoolgirls with double d's in anime. Because of all the excersize that kids have when they are young, there aren't of big breasts left in Japan, well, not until they started serving McDonalds, then general breasts went up a cup size. S'all true.

Anyways, what I'm trying to rant about is that I don't understand the obsession that Otakus have. I see anime just like I see any other cartoon, the only reason it's different is that it tends to have more mature themes than American cartoons or comics. I'm not complaining, though. I just don't think I'll ever see myself cosplaying my favorite Samurai Champloo character.

Obsession is fun! But honestly, I believe it's mostly an age thing. Though I certainly enjoy anime and manga now, and I still attend conventions and cosplay when I have the time, I'm certainly not obsessed like I used to be -- largely because I don't have the time, other things have priority.

The vast majority of XTREEEM (hee) otaku--in America, anyway-- are teenagers (though there are certainly exceptions), and many teenagers could be defined as obsessive over something. Generally, however, it's football, cars, horses, Justin Timberlake or something else that is, for some reason, considered more 'normal.'

Anime and manga are almost easy to obsess about, because there are so many titles dealing with so many subjects in a variety of different styles: there's something for everyone.

And in response to the beginning of your post -- I think it's ridiculous to claim that Japan is a perverted country (at least, to claim that it's more perverted than most other countries ^_~). Perhaps boobie love is more evident in their media than it is here... but our TV is certainly just as mature themed (seen Paris Hilton's 'music video'?), though perhaps we show equal love to booties and breasts. In Europe, they freely show actual breasts (and nipples! OMG!! Razz) in TV commercials, etc...

If you want to call countries perverted, kindly direct your attention to those like Uganda where children are being abducted, raped, and hacked to pieces on a regular basis.

Japan is the least of our worries.
Tac-Tics
Is Japan Perverted? We went to the source of it all to find out.

Number of pedophile Catholic preists in America: Many
Number of pedophile Catholic preists in Japan: 0

(Number of Japanese Catholics:.... extremely few?)

As you can see from these highly scientific and robust statistics, Japan isn't perfect, but it's better than America in many ways.