FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New to Linux

sergi
I've always been sitting in Windows operating system. Now I'm having a Linux 2.6.10 distribution and nothing known about Linux except that it is a linux distribution. Actually, I am a web programmer and familiarity with linux OS seems to me important. Does linux have good user interface design? On the whole is it worth trying it and what advantages shall it give?
{name here}
The advantage of Linux, Plan 9, and BSD systems is their very high level of customizeability and security. Unlike windows, you have no standard GUI - you can install multiple ones, with each one having a unique interface that may or may not be able to emulate another OS's GUI or have none at all. Linux will bring you security that will disallow most spyware and adware from even being able to run. Some distros are more like windows like Fedora, which keeps the command line away from you, removing the true unix expirience, and making it a bit bloated. Others like FreeBSD come with only the command line installed by default, and you can customize the OS to your liking, also removing the bloat while keeping the unix expirience alive.

Try it. I'll bet you'll like it.
lSaKenl
Look, Linux its good because: its free, it is open source and it has no backdoors just like windows systems

it offers diferents styles it depends in what you want, if you are a web programmer i'd suggest you to get Slackware or Suse, y? easy, because it has an apache server included PostgreeSQL MySQL and a couple things that would work, if you arent interested in learning and spend time configuring your system i'd suggest suse, y? due to its friendly style and easy configuring system, no dependencys worrying and those kind of things due to its great manager called YAST2

i wish it could help ur curiosity ^^
Shake
I've been using SuSe for almost a month and I love it so far. I only had a couple of problems installing, but for the most part it's really easy to use. I'm glad I picked it and I'm sticking with it. What else can I say? Where do I start to explain?

Apache is good to have! I use it to test my SSIs. Razz
ocalhoun
That's right SuSE's webserver is easy to configure.
Just fire up YaST, click network services, click http server, and click enable, The rest is automated.
Also, it comes with my favourite HTML editor: quanta +.
nizish
The advantages of switching to Linux for a web programmer are many. Some are;

You understand

the process model,
what a webserver is all about and how it works,
the details of HTTP headers,
details of CGI,
OS neutral scripting, Perl,
OS neutral DBMS MySql
PHP and other loads of open standards
and many more ...
Shirish
well linux has started posing a major threat to Windows and other OS

because of the way you can customize it , it being a free source

anyone can customize and produce a new linux using a base linux system provided by other companies.

you can design Linux OS for embedded and hendheld devices..

moreover there can be enumerous variations in terms of size.
not like windows which requires a load of memory to just initiate.

Anyways do give atry to Linux.its worth it.
djclue917
sergi wrote:
I've always been sitting in Windows operating system. Now I'm having a Linux 2.6.10 distribution and nothing known about Linux except that it is a linux distribution. Actually, I am a web programmer and familiarity with linux OS seems to me important. Does linux have good user interface design? On the whole is it worth trying it and what advantages shall it give?

You said that you are a web developer. Well, actually, since you are a web developer, using Linux is a plus. Why? Simply because in Linux, you could setup a server environment in which you could test your software before deploying it to the web. You'll have more than you'll need may it be server-side scripting languages like PHP, Python, Perl, etc. that makes use of relational database management systems like PostgreSQL or MySQL, or other server-related add-ons, you'll certainly have many choices.

Another plus is that you have specific control on the server settings. And by the way, nowadays, setting up a LAMP stack is as easy as 1-2-3.

Also, there are many powerful yet free software that you could use in web development like Quanta+, Bluefish, and even Firefox (by using the DOM inspector to help you analyze the structure of a given web page, or the JavaScript console to analyze JavaScript errors/warnings that is helpful especially when developing web apps which use AJAX).

I hope that helps...
bboy_nycb
Which distro do you use?

Ubuntu is quite well for a beginner. Desktop-oriented distro but very well configured for a beginner and web programmer. It is very easy to set up a webserver like Apache and the other server-side oriented webservers like Perl, PHP or Python.
brweb
I don't know which is best but FreeBSD is well known and famous for server systems... I am not sure but readed in so much testing reports...
IceNinjaa
hey im wondering, how many partitions do you need to install linux and how many partitions can a hard drive have?
djclue917
IceNinjaa wrote:
hey im wondering, how many partitions do you need to install linux

Well, you basically need two (the / and the swap -> for virtual memory). However, it is better to create several partitions. The most common partitioning scheme is:

/ (fairly large) -> well, it really depends on how many programs you'll install. Mine is 10 GB and I only use about 50 % of it.
/boot (very small) -> I don't use a journalling filesystem for this since it's very small (in my case that is). Mine is about 50 MB and less than 30 % is used.
/home (very large) -> very very large if you want to store lots of multimedia files especially if many uses the computer.
swap (size depends on you) -> it's like the swap file of Windows. Just base the size on the amount of your RAM.

Quote:
how many partitions can a hard drive have?

Basically, the number of primary partitions are limited. However, you can make a lot of logical partitions. Take note though that the logical partitions are "inside" the extended partition. Just take the extended partition as a collective term for all your logical partitions.

In my case, I have only one primary partition and six logical partitions.
Kyoushu
For the past 2 months I've been using Ubuntu on my laptop. The GNOME interface it has is great and from a couple different sites you can get a load of themes that are easy to install. Sites such as gnome-look.org and art.gnome.org are good sites. I mostly tried linux because I was annoyed at having to reinstall windows on my desktop 3 times in less then a year due to viruses. When I installed it on my laptop though, there was a problem with the it reading the network card. So, no wireless internet in ubuntu on my laptop. I tried a few other linuxes, like Fedora Core 5 and Xandros, but none of them worked with my wireless card. Though, in ubuntu I always connect it with a cable(ethernet) for internet. So, if your using a desktop it should work fine.
jackill
Hmmm what wireless card? Some cards needs windows drivers converteb by this tool: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ . A 2 years ago I had same problems and this soft helped me. There are many tutors in the net how to do this, so U should try Smile
alienjones
One small negative aspect should also be mentioned:
When dealing with Linux there is a lot to learn. But the Linux-community is willing to help with any problem, there are millions of tutorials and how-tos guiding your way.

Problems with hardware-drivers rarely occur as some manufacturers only support Windows-OS. But then again, the Linux-family will help you. Perhaps you're lucky like me, finding a Linux-programmer developing a driver especially for your needs.
swsource
If your new to Linux look into Ubuntu Linux. It boots by default in the x window system (gnome or KDE) which I think you were wondering about. If you have successfully installed another distro of linux just type "startx" after logging on. (try NOT run startx as root user, if you don't know how to make new user accounts look it up or ask and ill explain it)

Ubuntu is uber simple and with any luck + its un-official (but deadly good) sidekick EasyUbuntu (which fixes all the "oh yeah its linux I cant do that..." stuff)

It might just make Linux mainstream.
TheGeek
From personal experience, i do not like Suse. Why? because it is big, it is bloaty and it doesnt give you easy access to the consol, which i like. My personal favorites have been DSL (damn small linux) because it can run on anything, and it revived my old P2 machine from an early demise. My second favorite is Slackware for many of the same reasons as DSL however, it is a little more user friendly and comes with more things. Finally my least favorite of all the ones i would ever recommend would be a tie between fedora and mandrake. Since i havent tried the new fedora core i cant speak for it, however, mandrake 10.1 is great to use as the OS for a home or office file server because of its GetApp type features.

I also hear that Debian and Ubuntu or nice but i have no personal experience
marioflory
I agree with the authors that put a message in that thread before.... I guess that you should just give it a try. You can download ubuntu or let them ship some CD to your place free of charge. The ubuntu distro contains 2 CDs: 1 live CD just to let u experience the functionality and look and feel, which boots without changing anything on your system. It is kind of slow, but you get the idea wheter you wanna really install ubuntu on your system. If you do so, you need the other CD and just follow the easy installer. If you want to keep your current windows installation, it is possible, but you have to pay attention while you install ubuntu. Don't just cklick next on every page...

My recommendation: You cannot go wrong usung ubuntu, and you will be very satisfied. THe community is great and there is already a solution for every problem you could possibly have.

Enjoy linux!
ncaditya
I feel the closest linux to windows like ease is PCLinuxOS. It comes with everything inbuilt: NVU for web-designing which is just like frontpage and even better, mp3 codecs, pppoe dialer, and many others 100's of good apps. I have used freeBSD, fedora core 4, ubuntu and mandrake. Infact I boot all of them on same computer using acronis boot loader. FC4 doesnot play mp3 by default. You have to install xmms and mp3 codecs from the internet. Even ubuntu doesnot play mp3 by default. You should add the universe repositories to download software. But the main advantage with FC4 and ubuntu is software installation process. yum-install in FC4 and apt-get install in ubuntu really rock. The installation is completely automatic. Even dependencies(which would other wise be very complicated) are completely taken care of!
To summerize: start with PCLinuxOS, enjoy the mp3 songs and video like windows and then when you think its time go to FC4 or FC5, ubuntu or its parent: Debian!
urangkayo
If you using Linux you'll have full control about your OS not like Windows.

You can use dual boot or triple boot if you want switch back into your Windows OS.

If you newbie for linux i think Ubuntu, Fedora Core or SUSE is distro you can try.

go to www.distrowatch to find about distro
Web-Gazda
I use WXP and Mandrake 9.0 dual boot and it's working fine. The only problem appears when I reinstall windows; he overwrites the GRUB MBR, and then...
Anyway first time it happened i reformatted HDD Embarassed but now i simply copy MBR to diskette or create GRUB diskette. Wink
urangkayo
Web-Gazda wrote:
I use WXP and Mandrake 9.0 dual boot and it's working fine. The only problem appears when I reinstall windows; he overwrites the GRUB MBR, and then...
Anyway first time it happened i reformatted HDD Embarassed but now i simply copy MBR to diskette or create GRUB diskette. Wink

If you reinstalling Windows XP and you lost GRUB from MBR, you can using disk 1 from your distro and booting using disk 1 from your distro, when booting, just write linux rescue

chroot your linux partition and then write grub-install /dev/hda

regards
elyah_ariel
lSaKenl wrote:
Look, Linux its good because: its free, it is open source and it has no backdoors just like windows systems

it offers diferents styles it depends in what you want, if you are a web programmer i'd suggest you to get Slackware or Suse, y? easy, because it has an apache server included PostgreeSQL MySQL and a couple things that would work, if you arent interested in learning and spend time configuring your system i'd suggest suse, y? due to its friendly style and easy configuring system, no dependencys worrying and those kind of things due to its great manager called YAST2

i wish it could help ur curiosity ^^

Ok to say that linux is powerful, but if we considerate the ease of use, when the user is accustomed to XP, I think you must have a few difficulty about software compatibility ... no???
tamilchild
I think Redhat Linux is better than other linux versions. My system

have windows XP and Redhat Linux 9. Dual boot having some problem

when reinstalling windows.

Correct the Dual boot simply update the linux kernal one time Embarassed