FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Kids fascinated by the computer





ehecatl
Of course I can't just NOT go online at least once a day, so since I had to babysit a little 8-month old boy, I grabbed him a small bottle and sat him in my lap at the computer desk so I could check my email and stuff and hold him at the same time. He holds his bottle by himself now, so I don't have to feed him, thus I'm killing 3 birds with one stone, so to say. Well, I started checkin' my email and he dropped his bottle so I reached to get it and when I get back up with it I found him trying to type my email for me!!! ^_^ It was the cutest thing in the world! I guess that means though that perhaps I should spend more time with him AWAY from the computer! >_< lol Shocked And he's only 8 months!
(Yay! I'm a Wannabe now!)
SFMeatwad
Sweet. Teach him how to do HTML right now and then he'll master the website coding at the age of 10 or 12!! Smile
ehecatl
SFMeatwad wrote:
Sweet. Teach him how to do HTML right now and then he'll master the website coding at the age of 10 or 12!! Smile


Haha! Yes! I started HTML at 11, and I'm STILL not the best at it after 7 years!! >_< As soon as he learns to read, I'll bestow upon him my HTML Bible! lol ^_^
SFMeatwad
7 Years? Wow. I have been doing it for two years and I already have a website ordered and got the website complete.

Website Ordered - www.snsoutdoors.net
Website Complete - www.sns.diaryofasahel.frih.net

I work on other websites on my Frihost account, because Frihost has FTP and they rock! Smile
ehecatl
Well, I'm good at it, I have my website all laid out and shiz, but I have to finish it... I have to refer to my HTML Bible alot still... http://ehecatl.frih.net/ And I'm still not completely sure I know half the features do... >_< lol And I like your layout by the way...
S3nd K3ys
ehecatl wrote:
Of course I can't just NOT go online at least once a day, so since I had to babysit a little 8-month old boy, I grabbed him a small bottle and sat him in my lap at the computer desk so I could check my email and stuff and hold him at the same time. He holds his bottle by himself now, so I don't have to feed him, thus I'm killing 3 birds with one stone, so to say. Well, I started checkin' my email and he dropped his bottle so I reached to get it and when I get back up with it I found him trying to type my email for me!!! ^_^ It was the cutest thing in the world! I guess that means though that perhaps I should spend more time with him AWAY from the computer! >_< lol Shocked And he's only 8 months!
(Yay! I'm a Wannabe now!)


Wow. Kids are amazing. They pick it up so quickly.


I have a 3 year old son that has been playing driving, shooting and other games for over a year now. He has his own linux computer, knows how to log in, start his games, he even finds his way into the 'settings' on some games.

I was really suprised a few weeks ago when he was playing Formula One 2002 (a racing sim), he stopped the game, went back in the menus to find the Telemtry Settings, and was checking out how his car was driving around the track. I didn't think much of it, until I realized he knew where he was going and why, and could repeat it. Shocked

I was very impressed, and scared at the same time. I also have a 1 year old son who is constantly trying to get to my keyboard.
nilsmo
With computers' increasing complexity, however, most kids will not get past mastery of GUI and into programming.
SFMeatwad
Nice website.

Some friends and I are in this club called S.O.S. We meet, play Halo, eat Ramen and watch Anime and read Manga until about 11 or 12PM/AM.

Sexy Otaku Society is SOS
SFMeatwad
Yeah. That's true.

Sorry for double post, unless you beat me to it!!!!!!! Smile

Guhguhguhguhguhguhguhguhguhguh! (POPEYE)

Kids' minds are like a sponge at the age of 2 months. They learn quite easily.
ehecatl
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Wow. Kids are amazing. They pick it up so quickly.


I have a 3 year old son that has been playing driving, shooting and other games for over a year now. He has his own linux computer, knows how to log in, start his games, he even finds his way into the 'settings' on some games.

I was really suprised a few weeks ago when he was playing Formula One 2002 (a racing sim), he stopped the game, went back in the menus to find the Telemtry Settings, and was checking out how his car was driving around the track. I didn't think much of it, until I realized he knew where he was going and why, and could repeat it. Shocked

I was very impressed, and scared at the same time. I also have a 1 year old son who is constantly trying to get to my keyboard.


Wow! At 3, and he already knows all that!? That is amazing! I LOVE kids. They never cease to amaze me!

SFMeatwad wrote:
Nice website.

Some friends and I are in this club called S.O.S. We meet, play Halo, eat Ramen and watch Anime and read Manga until about 11 or 12PM/AM.

Sexy Otaku Society is SOS


Thank you! That's awesome! I practically LIVE off of ramen and rice! I even eat it with chopsticks ^_^ I wanna join! lol. My friends and I have a club like that too though, so I guess it all works out ^_^
Code of Ruin
And elderly keep complaining their kids aren't as hard working as they used to be in their days (which was around somewhere when dinosaurs walked the earth). So either the kid is brilliant or just fascinated by all those funny knobs. Let's hope he is brilliant and then he will be making millions at the age of twenty as a web design master and owe you big time because you discovered his talent and developed. So he will owe you like say 7 years of behind payment. Type on, little one Exclamation Of course since I have thought this whole scheme up I will deserve a healthy profit myself. Laughing
falconfx
I also began to use a computer very young.

I remember, when I was around 3 years old, my first experience with the famous Amiga. I also loved console games, as the unforgettable Sonic the Hedgehog.

Those were good times!
Reaper
Personally I think kids should be at least 6 mabe 7 before being allowed to use a computer. I have seen computers completely screwed up by little kids who think they know what they are doing but don't. Do you honestly think they know what half of that stuff is in the C drive? they probably dont care and mabe while they are in the C drive they will figure out how to use the delete key and empty the garbage can.
All I'm saying is they can understand how to do something sure, however understand what it does if its not fun? or why its important for the computer to have it so it can run properly? I doubt it.
Quote:
I have a 3 year old son that has been playing driving, shooting and other games for over a year now. He has his own linux computer, knows how to log in, start his games, he even finds his way into the 'settings' on some games.

I'm sorry but parents sit there and blame game companys for corruption of there childern, well mabe they should just solve the root of the problem. which is leting little kids playing games in which people die and cars explode.
I'm sorry If i sound so negative but this is how all that stuff starts, they are exposed to violent games, most of the time by their parents before they can really understand the difference between reality and games.
Vrythramax
I have a six year old daughter that can speak, read and write in 2 languages...one being Russian/Cryllic, she was kind enough to inform me about 2 years ago that she wanted to be a computer when she grows up.

She can also write her own website. Amazing thing the mind of a child....if we could harness that learning power, we could more than likely avoid wars...unless of course you try to take our Ice Cream away Very Happy
alkady
SFMeatwad wrote:
Sweet. Teach him how to do HTML right now and then he'll master the website coding at the age of 10 or 12!! Smile


Actually, That doesnt look like a good idea to me. The kid still has to develop his social skills. But LOL, Why teach him HTML when you can teach him something better, Like Maths for example. He will go futher in life like that.
Scorpio
I guess the kids of today are really beating the kids of yester years hands down.

But well, I did not use a computer till I was 13 and had no idea what html or website creation and forums was till I was 16

By the way I am 17 and a half now
Vrythramax
*sigh*...I feel so old now...thanks scorpio Sad
Blaster
I remember getting a computer at like 6. Yea teach it some cool stuff. Make it smart. Very Happy I hope to have smart kids when i am older. Did it actually type any words? If it did that would be one smart 8 month old. Very Happy
DarkSpark
nilsmo wrote:
With computers' increasing complexity, however, most kids will not get past mastery of GUI and into programming.

couldn't agree more...

And those websites aren't particularly great... You should work with XHTML... Far better as far as... EVERYTHING goes lol... The first was by far better tha nsecond... I am shocked that after 7 years that is what you can do...

oh well. My little brother and sister and 3 and 5 respectively and they can type actual sentances... Mainly because i like taught them to read ages ago and i always sit o nteh computer and tehy like to copy me Rolling Eyes
Stuart
I taught my sone to play a game on the computer at 10 months, at 15 months I realised he was playing too much, and I gave him a password, (the first letter his name) this worked for about a week, then I made it the first 2 letters, then 3, then his whole name, at this point he became obsessed with letters and words. I guess he understood that they meant something real. He regularly read the help pages to get better at his games, he understood more by the pictures first then later more words. By the time he was 4 1/2 he read the magic far away tree (a book I remember reading at 11 or 12) and could tell me all about it. I had to laugh when he went to school and they gave us a list of words he was expected to know by the time he finished the year, he could already read, spell and put (or write) them in a sentence on the first day.

His current obsession is with the planets in our solar system, space, and dinosaus. He doesn't seem to have any inclination to write web pages etc. (he is 7 now, maybe later?)

Of course there are drawbacks, there was one day I came home and no-one was using my computer, Later after the kids were in bed I went to use it and it started a windows install. I removed the disk and found that it wouldn't boot, and my hard disks had been reformated. The next day I asked the kids about it and they both denied any knowledge. When I finally got around to reinstalling my windows partition, my son sat behind me pretending to read, however when I got past the bit where I had to enter the CD key he jumped up and said "Wow you got past the really hard bit."
sujan
these days
computers are available to everybody and they are so portable so
todays kids are being frek of computers either playing games or surfing in internet
ehecatl
Reaper wrote:
Personally I think kids should be at least 6 mabe 7 before being allowed to use a computer. I have seen computers completely screwed up by little kids who think they know what they are doing but don't. Do you honestly think they know what half of that stuff is in the C drive? they probably dont care and mabe while they are in the C drive they will figure out how to use the delete key and empty the garbage can.
All I'm saying is they can understand how to do something sure, however understand what it does if its not fun? or why its important for the computer to have it so it can run properly? I doubt it.
Quote:
I have a 3 year old son that has been playing driving, shooting and other games for over a year now. He has his own linux computer, knows how to log in, start his games, he even finds his way into the 'settings' on some games.

I'm sorry but parents sit there and blame game companys for corruption of there childern, well mabe they should just solve the root of the problem. which is leting little kids playing games in which people die and cars explode.
I'm sorry If i sound so negative but this is how all that stuff starts, they are exposed to violent games, most of the time by their parents before they can really understand the difference between reality and games.

I agree with the root of the problem thing, but I don't think that that's any reason to have to deprive children of the wonders of the computer. That's what those little rating things are for on the games... For parents to regulate what games are okay for their kids to play. And as far as deleting things go, you can go through what things the kid can touch and what things he/she can't, or simply supervise them.

Code of Ruin wrote:
And elderly keep complaining their kids aren't as hard working as they used to be in their days (which was around somewhere when dinosaurs walked the earth). So either the kid is brilliant or just fascinated by all those funny knobs. Let's hope he is brilliant and then he will be making millions at the age of twenty as a web design master and owe you big time because you discovered his talent and developed. So he will owe you like say 7 years of behind payment. Type on, little one Of course since I have thought this whole scheme up I will deserve a healthy profit myself.


lol, I agree completely! ^_^
alkady
Vrythramax wrote:
*sigh*...I feel so old now...thanks scorpio Sad


Same here, I havent figured out what HTML was until 14 and it was the computer teacher who introduced it, Now that I'm in a more advanced computer class, I figured that there is such thing as different variants of HTML.
Kaisonic
Lol, that's cute. I started learning HTML back in the day...I don't use it quite as much. My website is based on PHP-Nuke, and I mainly use my HTML and PHP skills to clean up the code and customize it to how I want it. I'm really bad at writing sites from scratch, cause I'll always forget a tag here, get a typ there, etc. But I'm pretty good anyway.
Vrythramax
BAH! PHP-Nuke is a CMS (and not very secure from a server standpoint)...you need no skills at that other than being able to navigate the GUI....not reall HTML (or any of it's offspring), get atext text editor (not wordpad, or even notepad), then say something.

I code by hand the old fashioned way...I write it myself.
Scorpio
Vrythramax wrote:
BAH! PHP-Nuke is a CMS (and not very secure from a server standpoint)...you need no skills at that other than being able to navigate the GUI....not reall HTML (or any of it's offspring), get atext text editor (not wordpad, or even notepad), then say something.

I code by hand the old fashioned way...I write it myself.


I do the same thing.
It gives the site a personal feel and pride that I did it whatever it is.

Instead of just using a bloody CMS, what exactly do your learn from it.

Coding and experimenting teaches something every day
lycadia
Someone mentioned thinking children shouldn't be allowed to use computers becuase they might delete files or otherwise frag, mess up and negatively alter the softwear. I have to respectfully disagree. For one thing, if a child is Supervised while using it, then that should not be a problem. However, even if it is and the child somehow does something that simple diagnostics or even a system restore can't fix, I for one would much rather have to reload my entire computer then discourage a child who's interested in such potentially powerful learning tool. That's just my opinion though and the fact that I could probably fix anything the tyke did myself, and can reload and restore my data from backup over the course of a day at most might make me a little blaise about the idea. I know if I had kids of my own, I'd love for them to take any interest in computers that doesn't involve poking them with forks. I pray if I ever have a kid he or she will be geeky like me. *grins* As it is I let my nephews play with my computers under my supervision and one of them makes me absolutely estatic with how good he is at using it and how much real intellectual interest he has in technology because of his playing a lot of good learning games (Fischer-Price Little People Farm was a favorite of his from before he could talk) as a tot. In fact, due to his particular nature, I think he's far more cognatively developed, literate and vocially skilled then he would have been with out the additional stimulation he got from playing his computer games.
But that is neither here nor there. My basic opinion is that, assuming supervision or at least control of content (like not letting children have unsupervised net access, for example), then the benefits will far ouwieght the negatives involved in encouraging children's interest in computers. But, hey, that's just my 2 cents. I'm often wrong.
thiamshui
well, everyone is attracted to things which has colour and moving.. we grow up with animation and colours! They attract everyone, from small children to old people..
S3nd K3ys
falconfx wrote:


I remember, when I was around 3 years old,


LMAO! I bet you do...
David_Pardy
Heh, there's breastfeeding ads Wink.

I disagree that computer games cause kids to become dysfunctional sociopaths. I grew up on computer games, I've ALWAYS played shoot em ups, RPGs, etc. and I'm a perfectly mentally stable adult. I have no desire to commit mass murder, and even when I'm driving which causes me more aggro from idiots on the road than anything else in my life, I have perfect self control when it comes to reacting to other drivers.

Saying that playing violent video games causes kids to become psycopaths is a MYTH and it's started by idiots who are simply looking for excuses for BAD PARENTING.

If you're really worried about the mental health of your kids, it's porn that you need to keep them away from. Video games are great stress relief, porn destroys relationships.
Reaper
Quote:
In fact, due to his particular nature, I think he's far more cognatively developed, literate and vocially skilled then he would have been with out the additional stimulation he got from playing his computer games.

reading them books that they like and are intresting cause's the same effects as the above, and more likely it will teach better then leting a computer program doing the work your actually supposed to be doing.
True you were not affected by games like that, but thats only you. No I don't believe games cause kids to go insane but it does help if you allow some time for them to tell the difference from reality and the video gaming world, like say 6 maby 7 yrs old at the least, I mean you wouldn't just give a hand gun to child who has never seen or heard of a gun before load it and say have fun, i'm sure you will figure out what it does on your own would you?
Just saying it would help if they knew the difference before they played half of these games, and yes admittably its definately only a very very small part of the problem, the other 98% is parental influence, like being to controling and telling em how to live their life second by second, or jumping to conclusions before you get all the facts and punish for crimes that were not commited Shocked
squirrelmaster
I didn't learn to write my own pages(in notepad) till 'bout 12. It was pretty good, but i didn't know javascript or php or stuff like that.
BUT, i have always had a computer available, it's just my dad had DOS until 1997ish, but man at like 10 i was good at writing some games(ANSI) in Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5, I should find them sometime and play them for good ol' times sake!! Very Happy

Oh, well too bad i stopped programming when i couldn't figure out how to make it 2 player. Laughing
good thing i did tho' it sort of helped me understand javascript, when I discovered Microsoft Agent at 13or so. I loved Robby and Peedy!
Good times, Good times.
Well, anyway that's my little story of learning computers
P.S. (i'm 17 now)
lycadia
Reaper wrote:
Quote:
In fact, due to his particular nature, I think he's far more cognatively developed, literate and vocially skilled then he would have been with out the additional stimulation he got from playing his computer games.

reading them books that they like and are intresting cause's the same effects as the above, and more likely it will teach better then leting a computer program doing the work your actually supposed to be doing.
True you were not affected by games like that, but thats only you. No I don't believe games cause kids to go insane but it does help if you allow some time for them to tell the difference from reality and the video gaming world, like say 6 maby 7 yrs old at the least, I mean you wouldn't just give a hand gun to child who has never seen or heard of a gun before load it and say have fun, i'm sure you will figure out what it does on your own would you?
Just saying it would help if they knew the difference before they played half of these games, and yes admittably its definately only a very very small part of the problem, the other 98% is parental influence, like being to controling and telling em how to live their life second by second, or jumping to conclusions before you get all the facts and punish for crimes that were not commited Shocked


No, actually due to the nature of the child -he has a form of autism called pervasice developmental disorder- reading to him would not have had the same effect at all. When people read a story to a child, they don't read the same story in the same tone for 4 hours at a time. He liked the computer games because when he did something he got Exactly the same result every time he did something. Same response, same animation, same inflection in the tone. Like clockwork. That kind of repetition was part of what made it both compelling and comforting to him. In fact, in the past year or two, several companies that produce therepy tools and toys for children with autism have produced or are in production on video games which can serve as part of a range of therepies specifically because of the chracteristics both of computer games and of the disorder. *shrugs*
I don't think I ever said letting all children play games (or letting any child play games for that matter) was _better_ than reading or ought to be done _instead of_ reading. I am 100% in favor of reading to children, of spending good interactive quality time with them. However, I don't think letting them play appropriate games in reasonable amounts is in any way contradictory to that. In fact, it may open up more chances for meaningful parent child interaction and learning experiances.
And comparing letting a reasonably mentally healthy child play age appropriate games (or even age inappropriate games, really) to letting them play with a handgun makes me want to be violently ill. I'm exceedingly tired of that particular trite cliche. Frankly, if someone does something harmful to themselves or others and blames on a video game, they have much bigger problems then the video game. They have a freaking pathological pychological issue. They also have an excuse everyone will love to ooh and ahh over, but there have always been excuses like that. That doesn't make it the game's fault. If I seem to be being harsh, it's only that I have this conversation Often and am really really tired of irrational neoLuddite claptrap retoric. It's not personal, it's just a pet peeve.
Related topics
Net-powered computer goes on show
Countering Computer Game Addiction: Step Away from the Scree
Spying on the spyware makers
Microsoft slams UK open-source study
New forum area (computer problems)
HELP!!!! My computer keeps rebooting over and over again.
Older Computer-Older Games.
Computer jokes (funny!)
computer vs. riches
FBI takes computer
Christmas is almost near...
Nearly 1 in 10 kids are victims of 'cyber bullying'.........
Printable Picture Collage Cards for Kids
Organizing System (for paper files, computer files, etc)
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.