FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Highly enriched uranium found at Iranian military site

Billy Hill
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/05/12/un.iran.ap/index.html

Quote:

Diplomats: Enriched uranium found in Iran

Friday, May 12, 2006; Posted: 12:09 p.m. EDT (16:09 GMT)

VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- The U.N. atomic agency found traces of highly enriched uranium at an Iranian site linked to the country's defense ministry, diplomats said Friday, adding to concerns that Tehran was hiding activities aimed at making nuclear arms.

So it seems HIGHLY ENRICHED URANIUM has been detected on equipment at a military base.

My guess is that Israel steps in a bit quicker than many thought at first. I'm sure the US will back them completely. I am also quite sure that Russia and China will back Iran.

WWIII?
wumingsden
Although the source seems trusted I have a little doubt in believing it, not too sure why. It maybe when I read on a little more from the source and it stated the following:

Quote:
said the findings were preliminary and still had to be confirmed through other lab tests

although it does say:

Quote:
density of enrichment appeared to be close to or above the level used to make nuclear warheads.

It obviously does alarm me that Iran could have nuclear weapons but it also alarms me that 104,000,000 cubic meters of radioactive waste has resulted from weapons activities because of the US or that the US has built around 67, 500 nuclear missiles between 1951 to present.
I'm also alarmed of the fact that the UK has around 200 Trident warheads, although evidently not as much as the US. What alarms people the most is the Unknown, for all we know Iran could have no nuclear weapons although this doesn't seem as likely now.
I think if countires like the UK and US can have nulcear weapons then why not Iran. Granted, I know just about nothing about this subject but I tried to give a number of examples all the same.

thanks to nuclearweaponarchive.org (UK) and brook.edu (US)
Billy Hill
wumingsden wrote:
I think if countires like the UK and US can have nulcear weapons then why not Iran.

Because countries like the UK and the US don't go around threatening to wipe other countries off the map. The only time the UK or US has used or threatened nuclear weapons was completely justified. Iran, on the other hand, has clearly stated it would pass on it's nuclear technology to 'other' countries. And from the looks of some of the 'other' countries that Iran supports, that would be a very bad thing for the rest of the free world.
S3nd K3ys
If the butt-hurt moderators here would have read my post before locking it, they would have noticed that I said this about the situation... and possibly not locked it.

S3nd K3ys wrote:
The report of enriched uranium is not unprecedented. The previous sample was eventually attributed to residual uranium left on equipment they purchased elsewhere. You can expect an all-out effort to make this sample out to be simply a contaminant.

Seriously, this message board is getting too childish for me. The mods are allowed to run amuck constantly. A very poor excuse of administration, IMNSHO.

Also, mister goderator, please be so kind as to point out where I broke the rules..
tidruG
S3nd K3ys wrote:
If the butt-hurt moderators here would have read my post before locking it, they would have noticed that I said this about the situation... and possibly not locked it.

S3nd K3ys wrote:
The report of enriched uranium is not unprecedented. The previous sample was eventually attributed to residual uranium left on equipment they purchased elsewhere. You can expect an all-out effort to make this sample out to be simply a contaminant.

Seriously, this message board is getting too childish for me. The mods are allowed to run amuck constantly. A very poor excuse of administration, IMNSHO.

Also, mister goderator, please be so kind as to point out where I broke the rules..

S3nd, i don't know about the other thread. If you read the rules, you'd know that if you have a question about locked threads, you PM the Moderator in question and discuss it. Not post about it on other threads like a hurt little kid yourself. In this regard, this is where you've broken a rule. Stop breaking rules unless you want to get in trouble. And do not post about more Frihost fallacies or other mods in this thread, If you have an issue with a mod, you ought to know by now that you should PM the mod about it.
S3nd K3ys
Yeah. Ok. Sorry.

I guess I just expected that if you're going to publically try to silence me without saying why, I should be able to publically ask why, considering this thread is the exact same thread I started and had locked without even a reason or a reference as to what rule I broke.

:shrug:

Back on topic.

It will be interesting how this unravels. I'm sure it will spark more inspections, and more refusal to allow inspections, and more tension. I think Iran is not thinking clearly, kind of like Saddam. You can't keep poking a dog with a stick and not get bit.
mickgardner
In my opinion, iran was always going to be the next country on the list.
ANY country that does not play by the usa's rules will have got thisikind of treatment.
Unfortunately for Iran, they didn't help themselves out by making silly statements, like the comment about Israel ("should be wiped from the map"). But then when hasn't some leader, somewhere in the world, said something stupid that they regretted? I'm sure there are plenty of great quotes from South America that could be used against them.

So what is this really about? Is it about a Nuclear threat? Do the western powers really believe that Iran is a threat? I don't think so. This is about Oil and Control of Oil Markets. Iran has threatened once too many times, to go its own way with its Oil resources, including ideas like changing from selling its oil in us$ to Euroes.

This won't be the last time an oil rich country is targeted by western powers. Don't believe everything you hear and read.