FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Media Center vs XP?

fireydeviant
What are the differences? Is MCE a version of pro with extra programs? Which one would you reccomend for a new build?
Donutey
mce can only be installed on a fresh system, idk mce 2005 would be more interesting to me than just pro.
exarkun
MCE could do wonderful things like recording tv programs, more powerful video streaming and many more. As its name suggest, its is developed solely for entertainment.
Wd64
Donutey wrote:
mce can only be installed on a fresh system, idk mce 2005 would be more interesting to me than just pro.

Completely agree. I installed Media Centre completely out of interest as to what is was like in comparison to XP Pro which is a little boring. Media Centre is designed entirely for entertainment since you can record TV, watch TV etc.

Welliottdude
jamez
Welliottdude64 wrote:
Donutey wrote:

Completely agree. I installed Media Centre completely out of interest as to what is was like in comparison to XP Pro which is a little boring. Media Centre is designed entirely for entertainment since you can record TV, watch TV etc.

Welliottdude

but you cannot watch tv if you dont have a tv tuner card or usb right?? the tuner card includes a software that enables you to watch tv.. you can download softs around to record tv.. MCE 2005 just adds ehome (your media center), plus (from micros0ft), and sonic (cd-dvd burning).. all that media center can has other softs can do also.. the only thing that makes media center great was the remote integrity wherein you can use your pc as entertainment.. but if you don't prefer entertainment using pc, then why use media center.. but for me, media center is ok, i am using it right now..
quanmai
both are the same, but if you woudl like to watch movies, TV, all stuff about multimedia then you should chose WMCE than XP pro.
screamingdecay
For me, I think Media center is good for computers that are soly hooked up to an TV. I have it installed on my labtop, and I like it.
exarkun
Installing it on a laptop isa less preferred option as laptop are generally lacking the 'extra performance' of a desktop, which could give results that are not as good.
mark
I am planning to buy a media center edition computer as well. Can anyone tell me that apart from entertainment, can I do my schoolwork and basically do all the stuff that an XP Pro does? I dont just want to end up with entertainment. I want to do work as well. Is that possible?
bryanbel
While trying to play with windows MCE i happened to stumble on an interesting application which is like MCE but with a lot of features. Check out www.a5tek.com
neosree
exarkun wrote:
Installing it on a laptop isa less preferred option as laptop are generally lacking the 'extra performance' of a desktop, which could give results that are not as good.

Why not buy a laptop preinstalled with XP media center edition. It will be made and configured for the best performence for Media Center. Many lifestyle laptops from all brands have Media centre preloaded on it. That will be a very good option. But still, Desktop is the performance monster anyway, than a Laptop.
jovemac
New computers running Windows XP Media Center Edition let you experience video, audio, pictures, and TV through a convenient user interface that makes it easier than ever to enjoy digital media. Use the simple layouts and intuitive menus to comfortably enjoy video, audio, pictures, and television on your computer monitor or TV display. In addition, the new remote control for Windows XP lets you unleash your favorite digital media experience from anywhere in the room.
fireydeviant
Well, I installed it on my system a few days ago, and it runs very well. Very fast boot times. From what I can see, it is almost all software, but it dosen't seem to affect the preformance adversly. I'm going to try and get it to work with my xbox 360 when my other hard drive comes in.
alkady
Other than being for a small percent of the windows Population to have MCE, Its basically XP but with Entertainment Functions. I have MCE and its no different from my XP OEM computer. The only problem is MCE is only sold to you if you buy it from a computer manufacturer which usually comes with this cool MCE Remote and sometimes a MCE Keyboard.
Zage
Well Media Center is actually Windows XP. Still Media Center is beter than XP pro and Home
Shin
What are the downsides of Media Center compare to XP? given it performs better in AV, it must have some other drawbacks.
fireydeviant
The background process that run on MCE are higher in number, but it basically is XP. That is, if you don't disable them.
ChrisCh
Ok well no-one has given a clear answer to this question so I'm going 2 ask it again:

Can Media Center do EVERYTHING that normal XP can? I know MCE doesn't support Group Policy, but can it run all applications designed for normal Windows XP?

Smile
tyrant
Well from what i've read up , Both are quite similiar but there are some techinal differences, which unfortunately i can discuss as i lack the knowledge to do so.

However, there are certain programs and hacks , patches firmware's for hardware and other stuff etc that can actually screw up Media Centre even though they work on xp.

What i feel is, if your the sort that just use the desktop/laptop purely for entertainment then MC is would be appropriate, but if you want stability and and the XP-pro full features then take XP. ^^
neosree
ChrisCh wrote:
Ok well no-one has given a clear answer to this question so I'm going 2 ask it again:

Can Media Center do EVERYTHING that normal XP can? I know MCE doesn't support Group Policy, but can it run all applications designed for normal Windows XP?

Yes it can. Whatever things you can do in Windows XP home, you can do in Windows Media Center. But some advanced functionalities, like group policy, user management, etc are not available in XP home or in Media Center. But you are guaranteed that you can use any XP supported software in Media center also.
Dragonfly-online
Im actually using a media center Pc, and yes it is better than Conventional XP Home, (it is a version of XP). In Almost every way it is the sameas home, but it has the Media Center Program (which, isnt as good as it's hyped up to be), and the Royale theme built in, plus a few newer XP features. Al in all, i would reccomend Media Center for a new build, but it is not worth spending more money than you intended or want.
tamilchild
XP media center edition is good for multimedia?

XP home and XP professional is ordinary one Laughing
simplyw00x
Quote:
New computers running Windows XP Media Center Edition let you experience video, audio, pictures, and TV through a convenient user interface that makes it easier than ever to enjoy digital media. Use the simple layouts and intuitive menus to comfortably enjoy video, audio, pictures, and television on your computer monitor or TV display. In addition, the new remote control for Windows XP lets you unleash your favorite digital media experience from anywhere in the room.

You're an idiot and I hope you get banned. Ever heard of citing a quotation? Putting it in quotation marks? Quote tags? Stop trying to ****** points and get a clue.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx
skiddhard
Maybe someone can help me get this clear. I read somewhere that MCE is just a application that runs on XP! I am not sure if this really is the case or not. The same article also suggests that a bunch of people are trying to extract the "APPLICATIO" from the core XP! Can anone confirm or deny this??
Question
raman
I think its basically the same only it has some enhanced media features. I would like to know what some of these enhancements are specifically because I think windows xp might be capable of doing these already.
gonwk
Hi folks, Very Happy

I was searching posts and other sites to get the Answer to my Q ... after I got more confused ...

Q1: If I am only interested in the most powerful version of XP so I can use my Video Freeware programs that usually run on XP version ... whihc one should I go with XP Professional or XP MCE?

I have all the bells and whistle to get Media stuff going but only need the dependable platform.

Q2: What is the benefit of "advanced functionalities, like group policy, user management, ..." that someone mentioned earlier in their post!?!?
If I am using the Laptop or Desktop at home and for personal use ... does Group Policy & User Management matter?

Q3: With XP MCE ... can I still set up an Administrative Right and 2 other users? Reason for User set up is when I surf the net ... I plan to use the User default so some crazy person can not automatically download junk on my machine (that is if I am logged in as Admin Person)!?!?

Thanks,

G! Smile
ssthanapati
Using MCE right now. And must say... nothing great about it. Atleast not worth noticing.....
Studio Madcrow
MCE is basically just Home Edition plus a set of programs designed to make it easy to use the machine as a sort of DIY Tivo. It was a decent idea, but not all that well done. If you really want to build your own Tivo-clone, Linux + MythTV is a much better choice.
ssthanapati
If u r gonna use it for recording programs and watchin tv then u can go for it...

Other than that havent found anything great in that except it seems 2 give me more BSOD's that XP pro
simplyw00x
There's no real reason to get MCE unless you have a particular fondness for windows' built-in media centre functions. You could just as easily get pro or home and install some media-centre software on top of it (mythtv springs to mind but any would do) or boot a mythbuntu live cd.