FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Road Test Update

ehecatl
Shocked I'm curious as to whether or not those of you who have had a road test recently have any advice for a first-timer (especially those of you from the Oshkosh, WI area, as that is where I'm testing...)? Thank you and any advice will be taken to heart Very Happy
snowboardalliance
I Michigan it was easy.

Just make sure you exagerrate all your checks at stoplights, lane changes etc. If you just drive carefully you should do fine. And relax
Canadian Bacon
I agree with the above post, I've done 2 driving tests (required by Ontario driving regulations) and trying your best to stay relaxed is key. When you check a mirror move your entire head not just your eyes. Remember to keep 2 hands on the wheel, have the radio off before the instructor gets in the car, and have fun. Good luck.
izcool
Aah, you're not far from me it looks like. I took my test in June (last year) at the DMV in Libertyville, Illinois.

Things that I have to say about the test :

- Don't do anything stupid
- Don't be risky
- If you have to wait to make your turn, then be sure that it's the correct time before doing so. Do it when it's the most safest.
- Don't be jerky with steering
- Go at the speed limit (since I was told to go faster when I took my test)
- Obey everything that signs tell you. When it says STOP, make sure you STOP. The Stop sign does not say SLOW, it means STOP.
- On my exam they did a 3-point turnaround in a small subcommunity. Follow that exactly to how you learned it and practiced it.
- The final thing that I did on my exam was I turned into a parking space in the DMV's parking lot. I messed up on that (made too big of a turn) but I told her that I wasn't done and corrected myself (no cars in the space I turned into).

One thing that I was actually a little bit shocked about was how fast the actual test session went. Don't be afraid, don't be panicky, you'll be fine. Just stay cool when you're taking the test. When your teacher says that it'll be a life-and-death serious and scary situtation, it won't be, if you know how to observe all the things I suggested above.

Whala. I passed.

- Mike.
psycosquirrel
Don't tailgate and STOP at stop signs for a LONG time. Also, I usually drive with one hand and they say that is "bad," so drive with both. Good Luck.
ehecatl
Thank you very much for all of your advice guys and it will be taken to heart! *debates printing the page to read in the car on the way there* Anyway, I suppose I'll do just fine so long as I heed all your advice and remember to buckle up BEFORE turning the key... lol *has a bad habit of not doing that...* And as long as I don't have to parallel park... >_<
xnontas
Don't panic! Be cool and everything is going to be ok!
carlokes
Besides everything that was already said, pay attention to the following details.

- Keep both hands on the wheel
- Make sure the seat is in a good posture...examiners here are quite picky about your driving posture...
- don't even think about speeding up on a yellow...
- and you you fear something might happen drive slowly...but obey the minimum limits...
ehecatl
For those of you kind enough to give me road testing advice...

I didn't pass Sad The lady was very spastic and she really didn't tell me why I failed... She said i was speeding, and the only time I was, she asked me to look at the speedometer and tell her how fast I was going and I replied with 27. She then asked what the speed limit was and I replied with 25 to which she said exactly and started to write something. ? Then she told me that I need better control of my vehicle, but I wasn't swerving and that is a very vague term... So how do I know what to practice now for my next test? She also didn't tell me how many points I got off... Anyway, I heeded everyone's advice and I will keep it in mind for my next road test ^_^ Thank you all!

<3 Cat
snowboardalliance
Way different than the Michigan Test I guess. They tell you exactly what you did wrong (I lost a point for not looking over my right shoulder when EXITING the freeway). And 2 mph over? I don't think that really matters to the Michigan one, I think it's like 5 is a point and if you do it twice you fail.
I don't know what to tell you other than drive UNDER the speed limit.
ehecatl
Yes, I really wish she would have told me exactly what I got wrong and how many points I got off. That would have been very helpful to me in the future... I don't think it helped either that I was really nervous about driving in a city I don't know >_< And I'm hoping that on my next test the speed limit doesn't matter THAT much...
Canadian Bacon
Sometimes the person who is testing you makes a difference as well. Although it shouldn't idealy, different people score in different ways. So when you go for the test again take no chances and always drive slow.
Scotty Too Hotty
ok that is officially nuts. In My province in Canada, (New Brunswick) we do a double testing system. First test is for what they call your Class 7a, which is your learnerspeermit. You can Drive with anyone with a Class 6 or Above liscence. This test is a written test that you study for. You are not permitted to drive without this test. There are two parts, a 20 question multiple choice and a 20 question signs test. There is 1 version of the signs test and 3 versions of the Written multiple choice (Pink, Green, and white) which they say are them same difficulty but i would argue not.

When you have your 7a for 4 months and have taken a Drivers Ed program you are then able to do a driving test for your 7B. If you have not taken a Drivers Ed program yo must wait a full year in order to do the actual driving test. This is an incar driving test. Basically make you drive around town for like 10 minutes going through school zones and differnt s ections of town where there are differnt tasks that must be completed....ie Lane Change Merging, Stop Signs turning parking Parallel Parking etc etc etc. Once this is completed successfully then you have attained your Class 7b. The rules with the Class 7's is that there is to be no tolerance for any sort of intoxicant. No alcohol by any one is to be in the car. Immediate suspension of liscence. There is also no POints accruaral for these liscences only your standard start with 3 points.

once you have been liscenced with your 7a/b for two years you area upgraded to class 5. Which gives tolerance for Alcohol, intoxication, and also you accumulate points for your record. YTou can also now have a class 7-a drive with you.

There are 7 classes but im not sure what they all are

Class 1 is anything - Airbrakes
Class 2 - Anything without Airbrakes
Class 3 - Emergency Vehicle
Class 4 - Taxi/15 Pass Van
Class 5 - Listed Above
Class 6 - Tractor liscence (like farm tractor) this can be attained at the age of 14 without a Liscenced drivers permit.
Calss 7 - Listed above.
Canadian Bacon
I live in Ontario. Our system is very similar. The written test gets you a G1 license. Ability to drive with someone of full G licenese beside you. After a year (or 8 months with driver training) you are able to take a road test to get G2 license. Ability to drive whenever on any road; with the exception of 0.0 blood alcohol. Then after a year you are able to take another road test to get your full G licence. I think the system works well for most people.
Scorpio
Our system is nothing like all this what you people say?

We just take a car and drive it around some building a couple of times, there is no instructor.

The person who watches over you, would be sitting at one corner of the building.

All we have to ensure is that we dont run over somebody or total the car.

And then, we get the licence.

We also have an option for getting the licence without driving, you just have to pay the instructor a few extra bucks and voila! You get a licence
n0obie4life
So scorpio, how's the accident rate over at where you live?
Blaster
n0obie4life wrote:

lol in the US we probley have the same amount of accidents. (bad drivers) I wish it was that easy.
Scorpio
n0obie4life wrote:

Not very much, to be fair.

Water tankers and Sand laden lorries run over people everyday in my city, lousy public buses have tin sheets sticking out and tearing people up.

Also, most buses and trucks get licences easily, but the maintenance is so poor that the brakes never work, steerings dont turn and dont give a damn about signals and people.

But the rate has come down by a good amount.
AdamantMonk
Not to be offensive but you don't live in Asia do you? >scorpio
Vrythramax
Shocked wow scorpio...it was never that easy for me, I have to admit that I don't remember most of the test, it was some time ago, but I do know there was a written test, a driving test, with the registry person in the car, and I was scared out of my mind. I passed, but it was not all that different when I went for my Motorcycle and my Class 2. If I could have gotten off with a bribe I may have saved myself alot of high blood pressure, not to mention stress.

I'd really like to know what state you live in so if I choose to move, the transition may be that much easier.
xorcist
Ya when your going above the speed limit they always say something but if you got like 1 or 2 they really dont say anything unless you have a mean one because most of them say that just to make sure that you know what you are doing.
Scorpio
I did remember mentioning that I did not live in the US.Wink

I thought the US was Bribe free(perhaps I am wrong)

But yes I am in Asia.

There's nothing offensive actually

it is the ground truth and I am not embarassed by it.
ehecatl
scorpio wrote:
Our system is nothing like all this what you people say?

We just take a car and drive it around some building a couple of times, there is no instructor.

The person who watches over you, would be sitting at one corner of the building.

All we have to ensure is that we dont run over somebody or total the car.

And then, we get the licence.

We also have an option for getting the licence without driving, you just have to pay the instructor a few extra bucks and voila! You get a licence

Wow, I wish it was that easy here...
Vrythramax
apologies scorpio, I skimmed where I should have read. Embarassed
nilsmo
izcool wrote:
Whala. I passed.

I won't have to take a driving test for a number of years, but please take notice that Voila is spelled Voila, not Whala. It comes from French.
mathiaus
merged topics Wink

Good Luck with your next test. Hope you pass and have a more condtructive instructor/inspector/tester (whatever you call them). Smile
ehecatl
mathiaus wrote:
merged topics Wink

Good Luck with your next test. Hope you pass and have a more condtructive instructor/inspector/tester (whatever you call them). Smile

That means the topics are the same one now...? And Thank you! ^_^
izcool
Sorry to offend the French people here for my last reply.

For me, my test was very easy to get done. I even blogged about the entire thing and typed up everything that I had to do in my test when I took it June of last year. I'm kind enough to post it here to show you how short and easy it was (it looks like a lot but only took like 10 minutes at maximum to do) :

Quote:
- Roll down the window for the instructor to tell me directions for her to see if things on the car were working right.
- Tap the horn.
- Flick right turn signal. (She was in front of the car).
- Flick left turn signal. (She was in front of the car).
- Hold on the brake petal. (She was in the back of the car).
- Flick right turn signal. (She was in back of the car).
- Flick left turn signal. (She was in back of the car).
- Hold foot on the brake and put the gear into reverse. (She was in back of the car).
- Pull forward until I reached the end of the driveway.
- Turn right.
- Change lanes when safe to do so.
- Turn left at the first street we meet.
- Turn left at the first street we meet.
- Follow the road along the curve.
- Park downhill.
- Pull away and go straight.
- Stop at the stop sign, and turn left.
- Stop immediately and do a 2-point turn around.
- Go straight around the curve and stop at the stop sign.
- Turn right.
- Turn right.
- Change lanes when safe to do so.
- Pull into the turning lane (middle lane) and turn into the parking lot when safe to do so.
- Drive to the back of the parking lot.
- Pull in right into a parking space.
- Turn off the car.

That was all.

- Mike.
Code of Ruin
I sure hope you get your license after next test ehecatl. Maybe this little pieces of advice will help:
-When turning right check your dead angles so you dont kill anyone that is cycling
-when driving check your mirrors at regular intervals depending on how heavy traffic is. Always check your mirrors and dead angles when you're changing lanes. Examiners like people who check mirrors.
-don't use the horn unless you really have to.
-keep your hands on the wheel. I drove shift stick during exam and just kept one hand on the stick and one on the wheel. This made the examiner very nervous.
-When you have to turn the car make sure you flow it into the turn and not throw it into the turn.
-Make a nice little conversation with the examiner, keep him busy that way tiny errors are bound to escape his attention. Work with their interests. Everybody is interested in something. But be careful not to say anything stupid like: "I like speeding".
-Just be cool, don't get all worked up about a stupid exam. I had to take the test twice myself.
ehecatl
izcool wrote:
Sorry to offend the French people here for my last reply.

For me, my test was very easy to get done. I even blogged about the entire thing and typed up everything that I had to do in my test when I took it June of last year. I'm kind enough to post it here to show you how short and easy it was (it looks like a lot but only took like 10 minutes at maximum to do) :

- Mike.

Thank you very much, I appreciate you help and advice ^_^

Code of Ruin wrote:
I sure hope you get your license after next test ehecatl. Maybe this little pieces of advice will help:
-When turning right check your dead angles so you dont kill anyone that is cycling
-when driving check your mirrors at regular intervals depending on how heavy traffic is. Always check your mirrors and dead angles when you're changing lanes. Examiners like people who check mirrors.
-don't use the horn unless you really have to.
-keep your hands on the wheel. I drove shift stick during exam and just kept one hand on the stick and one on the wheel. This made the examiner very nervous.
-When you have to turn the car make sure you flow it into the turn and not throw it into the turn.
-Make a nice little conversation with the examiner, keep him busy that way tiny errors are bound to escape his attention. Work with their interests. Everybody is interested in something. But be careful not to say anything stupid like: "I like speeding".
-Just be cool, don't get all worked up about a stupid exam. I had to take the test twice myself.

Thank you for your concern and advice as well, I appreciate your post as well ^_^
Kaisonic
The only thing I was marked off for was making wide turns. Don't turn too early, and don't turn too late either.
ehecatl
Kaisonic wrote:
The only thing I was marked off for was making wide turns. Don't turn too early, and don't turn too late either.

Yeah, My turns aren't wide, and they aren't too soon, but i think i maybe over turned a little a couple of times cause someone told me not to let the wheel slide through my hands when straightening out, but to do hand over hand and I couldn't do hand over hand fast enough... >_< and I'm really tired, so i'm sorry if i didn't make much sense >_<
xorcist
ehecatl wrote:
Kaisonic wrote:

Yeah, My turns aren't wide, and they aren't too soon, but i think i maybe over turned a little a couple of times cause someone told me not to let the wheel slide through my hands when straightening out, but to do hand over hand and I couldn't do hand over hand fast enough... >_< and I'm really tired, so i'm sorry if i didn't make much sense >_<

Ya I had that same problem to I would turn to soon and then pull back the wheel to the other side, and I would jerk the car when I'm stopping and press on the breaks to hard. But it was nothing to serious I grew out of it.
Vrythramax
a side note....Please look out for bikers (motorcyclists) they tend to be in the "blind spot"