FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Refinedesign

riv
The page is located at http://www.refine.frih.net/test.php

OK, I have finished the overall look of my website. The contnet isn't complete yet, the textpattern (an extremely flexable and simple cms, textpattern.com. Highly reccommended.) part isn't configured yet, the links aren't working yet, thus I've named it the Build Version. The CSS is valid (although it is still embeded in the html file), the XHTML is valid, and it has gone through the SpeedTest. And there's going to be some more graphics. I am just looking for design critism (or non-critism).

It may not look like it, but I've spent loads of time in front of a pad of graph paper sketching out ideas for the layout. I've got one thick stack of paper to prove it.

And by the way, you won't believe the amount of tinkering with the CSS to make it look good and consistant in Safari, Opera, and Firefox. If someone with IE could look at it, it would be appreciated.

P.S. If anyone's wondering, the navigation uses a modification of Sprite Map (search for "sprite" at alistapart.com), which is a modification of Fast Rollover (search google).
Scorpio
Quite elegant indeed

You made the template yourself?

I must admit that I love green, the menus looked pretty nice on mouse over

On the whole, Elegancy is the word.

You ve kept your word and made it Simple to load and view..

Very Happy Very Happy
riv
scorpio wrote:
Quite elegant indeed

You made the template yourself?

I must admit that I love green, the menus looked pretty nice on mouse over

On the whole, Elegancy is the word.

You ve kept your word and made it Simple to load and view..

Very Happy Very Happy

Yes, I have designed and coded the page by hand, and I have made the other things, with the exception of the logo, which was made by another member on this forum, "clownfart". (That was before I had learned how to use Photoshop.) I have re-done the logo, however, since the old one had a few minor things that bugged me after staring at it for 10 minutes. (Yes, I like to stare at things for ten minutes.) The blurry grass picture was taken by a excellent photographer, and I found it on a royalty-free image site. Of course, I blurred it myself.

Thanks for your complimant on the navigation. I've spend a good chunk of an hour measuring pixel by pixel of the image and tring to figure out how I would do the mouseovers. I have used green since it is a colour that is widely accepted by people, and would please a wider audience. I'm considering right now wether to incorperate fly-out thing into the menu...

By the way, it took a lot of scouring through articles (How C.R.A.P.py is your design?), flipping through books, and looking at other designer's webpages to come up with the design.
riv
I've really worked a lot of time on the new layout and I would really appreciate it if some more people took a look at it. Confused

*nudge*
Donutey
are the mouseover's for the menu some sort of transparency set up? Looks really good, I'd like to see more green used on the web.
riv
Donutey wrote:
are the mouseover's for the menu some sort of transparency set up? Looks really good, I'd like to see more green used on the web.

No, I have not used a transparancy trick. Doing so would neglect the IE using community, which unfortunately is still very large. The navigation is done entirely in CSS, by offsetting part of the background image when the mouse rolls over the menu item. The image used for the navigation bar has the before and after stages, and can be found here. A List Apart has a great article, written by Dave Shea, called "Image Slicing's Kiss of Death", which describes the technique way better than I can.
riv
Ok, I've redone my homepage as well. What are your thoughts?
Donutey
That's really clever, I think I'm gonna have to use that trick for my menu now, it would definately save some effort and # of files.

The only thing that I don't like is how tall that image of the grass is, it takes up a good half of the page, and I think that might become awkward for someone browsing the site, having to scroll down all the time. But, it does really draw your eye to the logo.
airh3ad
I love green color ..very nice layout ..i wonder why keep you used green color?
Eyre
i love it it. Very simple and clean instead of some of the people that put more in than they need. The only thing i have to say is that the banner is quite large. Other than that A+.
novisdesign
I really like the blurred grass on the header. Flows well with the whole site. The bar is also sweet. Great work.
Tomppe
That is a very, very nice site!.. Layout & Design = Perfect!
Marston
The design is kind of plain for a web-services site.. Sad
Assiez
Overall I like the desgin a lot, but I agree with Eyre in saying that the image header seems a tad bit large. True it focus the viewer's attention on the logo, but when your site is for a desgin company (my assumption from web + media) you might want to focus more on content. However, the happy side effect of that is you brand your logo into a user right from the beginning.

Overall great site!

A silktide test on your site gave it a rating of 6.0
(http://www.silktide.com/tools/sitescore)