FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The concept of FriHost [computeraki's manifesto]

computeraki
This should be a more elaborate post, but I am running out of cigarettes and I have to go out.
It is just yesterday that I registered for a FriHost account and skimming through the forums I have come to the following conclusions concerning the concept of Frihost.
Firstly, everybody here seems to post for the points. Even if someone is not, the mentality of the poster-to-be, when he reads other posts is such that the only perception of his fellows in the discussion is as pathetic attempts to keep their points positive.
But why is it so? It is true that most visitors just come for free web hosting. The concept of imposed community participation is pronounced in their first posts inaugurating a wrong relationship.
Seecondly, I don't know if it is just me, but a feeling of dictatorship is not ideal when you want to have a discussion. Who is this Bondings and why does someone have to tolerate some moderators, chief-commanders. This is not the environment for conversations, even though I have to admit the prevalence of this model in forums online.
Furthermore, which is the topic of this forum? By not concentrating in a class of interests the aforementioned point-posting perception is further amplified. I am of the opinion that one should speak only when he has something to say. The opposite is not ideal and that's what happens here.
Last post. Praise Lord for DynDNS, I should have done that long ago.
Vrythramax
I too sing the praises of DynDNS, and I have been a paid Member of thier services almost since thier inception. The fact that many post here and speak thier minds is not so much a result of any perceived "dictatorship", but more as a general feeling of belonging to a community much larger than yourself, being able to receive feedback on your thoughts, and support from those who agree with you.

If this concept is alien to you, then perhaps DynDNS is exactly the course of action you should engage in.
rightclickscott
I think it's more a matter of each person, and not the posters in general. You see, when I started here, there were two things I hated: Geocities Hosting and Gigantic forums. I got into posting gigantic replies, giving the the 4 points I needed, and I eventually grew into, well, actually enjoyed posting my opinions and hearing the opinions of people all around the world. What's also great is the big difference between this and other huge forums, the way it's seperated. There are so many forums to choose from that I often see the Anime and Comics forum sometimes empty or with 2-3 posts. Also, the hosting is just plain great. As far as I see it, if I can get hosting for something I do on a daily basis anyways. Now, and I still don't know how this has happened, I'm a normal frihoster with over 800 Frihost Bucks. Now, if only I knew how to use them, I'd be in business. Still, I enjoy coming here everyday during my free time and typing some 4 point posts. It really gets my mind going for the rest of the day.

However, there was another theory that came up when I was talking to my brother about how he wanted to get a new host. I told him he should try Frihost, because all he needed to do was post on the forums and he could keep tons of stuff. He wondered why Bondings would give away such great hosting for free, and we pondered it. We came up with this conclusion, that Bondings was a rich guy who just wanted to make some friends. So, he offers amazing hosting if people post on his forums, and now not only does he have alot of friends, he literally has a cult following. This is phenomenal, but, I really don't care. I just like being able to share my opinions with people in a huge forum where, I'd like to think, I've gotten fairly well known. However, I don't think there is going to be an unofficial ask rightclickscott anything thread anytime soon.
Vrythramax
ahhh...don't be so hasty my pastafarian brother, you may find yourself the topic of the day at some point. Even a self-ordained Minister should get some recognition.

I'm not really sure that Bondings is a rich guy looking for friends, the advertising could produce enough inflow of $$$ to keep it alive...if people actually clicked on the ads.
Scorpio
If he wanted a fanatical fan following there are a one hundred other ways.

He gets around 15000 members of which 90% are lousy posters, 50% have never posted or active.

He could have very well started a torrent site or something, he would have ended up with a 100,000 members or more.

Or he could very well have started a community club in his hometown

But anyway, why do you think he has the ads.

If his only objective was to make friends, then he could have told that this is the only totally ad free, free webhost in the world.
godam64
i'm one of the bad posters Laughing
i have to post to 45 points as fast as possible before my internet connection disconected. in my country internet bandwith is extremely expensive. you have to paid $400 for unlimited 64kbps connection. or pay less for slower connection. the govt have plan to build our own backbone so i hope it'll reduce the internet price.

as long as frihost got fresh post and indexed by search engine then get bunch of visitors, it wont be a problem. adsense is here Smile
ehecatl
This is probably an example of a 'bad' post, but I want to put in my two cents: I personally post not for the points, but because I want to and there are alot of amazing people here to meet with amazing stories to tell. And it's nice that when you ask for advice, you can get some quality advice from people that aren't 'part of the picture'. From the people that aren't in the situation because sometimes, you need to be on the outside to find the solution to the problem and when you're involved, that's knid of hard. So that's my two cents, take it as you will ^_^
benjad
I for one would be really curious to see the 'Bondings balance sheet'.

Every additional post (with unique content), and every link back here raised the almighty page rank. Every visitior racks up some ad views, and ad clicks.

I don't know enough about the payouts from the two ad providers, and I know you are not supposed to disclose your ad income...

But I for one am curious to know if Bondings has latched onto something. Month to month, does advertising cover all costs, exceede costs.

Is there a debt built up that is expected to pay off in the future (assuming Frihost pagerank grows quickly.. adding links to other sites can be very valuable.)

What is the business model? and is it profitable?

As far as the meaningless posts, do they happen, obviously yes. Just use the find unanwsered posts option to see all the 1 line, pointless, unanwsered posts. Is this a bad thing, for the community, somewhat yes, but for pagerank, it brings up the score.
evilryu530
i like the idea of frihost. it serves for a good outlet for people who want to get some free web hosting service. the concept of people posting allows that. it connects poeple to gether to share common interests and ideas, and also uncommon. On the business side, the owners of frihost can make money by getting advertisers. Businesses see the stats of how many people join, post, etc. think it will bring more business to them. so it's a win win win situation for everyone, sure there are people who post random bs just to get some points, but that's eveyrwhere you go, the majority of the posts are at least decent.
Vrythramax
ehecatl wrote:
This is probably an example of a 'bad' post, but I want to put in my two cents: I personally post not for the points, but because I want to and there are alot of amazing people here to meet with amazing stories to tell. And it's nice that when you ask for advice, you can get some quality advice from people that aren't 'part of the picture'. From the people that aren't in the situation because sometimes, you need to be on the outside to find the solution to the problem and when you're involved, that's knid of hard. So that's my two cents, take it as you will ^_^

this is NOT an example of a "bad post"....it is very well thought out, well spoken, and adds to the topic subject matter. All in all....a job, or in this case "post", well done.

Kudos Cool
Xcelerate
In short, I don't think people really just post for points. I mean, I'm on here quite a bit but I don't always post unless I think I've got something useful to add (like this), but I've found a lot of information out from what is here, especially useful insight in the Software section.
benjad
As one more addition, scroll back up and check the # of points most posters have.

at 20:00 est (z+5), most of the posters are over 45 points, meaning in a few hours they are going to get knocked down to 45, then lose one more for hosting...

In other words, most people posting in this thread don't need the points, as they are about to lose them.

Yet we all keep posting. Some post pointless stuff (or copy / paste text), but the mods do a good job of quoting it up, (and docking the points).

Mods: Applause

Bondings: Applause

[BTW... honestly... what is the business model??? ]
Vrythramax
benjad wrote:
As one more addition, scroll back up and check the # of points most posters have.

at 20:00 est (z+5), most of the posters are over 45 points, meaning in a few hours they are going to get knocked down to 45, then lose one more for hosting...

In other words, most people posting in this thread don't need the points, as they are about to lose them.

Yet we all keep posting. Some post pointless stuff (or copy / paste text), but the mods do a good job of quoting it up, (and docking the points).

Mods: Applause

Bondings: Applause

[BTW... honestly... what is the business model??? ]

You are absolutly right, I post because I like to too. I am an opinionated person by nature, and I like to hear what people have to say about my comments. Anyone who thinks I post so prolifically or is in some kind of search for points or FRIH$'s should really think again. There are much easier ways of a quick gain out there.

@benjad

You may be better off posting your question in another forum topic or sending him a PM....busy guy that one is Smile

*EDITED for spelling errors.
Donutey
i'm pretty sure I read something noobie wrote about that FriHost doesn't make that much money... and Bondings is a student (somewhere)
Bondings
Most of the revenue is indeed from contextual ads, however only a part is directly from registered users.

--
Please note that asking to click on ads or talking about it is certainly not allowed by the Google TOS as a click should be made by a person who is interested in the ad, and I completely agree with that. Please refrain from posting anything related to clicking on ads; I already had to edit quite a few posts here.