FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OpenBSD

bryanbel
Is there somebody here who uses OpenBSD? What do you think about this operating system.
Muchachos
I'm have used OpenBSD 3.7, then install FreeBSD 5.4. FreeBSD is great unix-like os. OpenBSD have more difficult syntax of command. Now use FreeBSD 6.1
atholas
I used OpenBSD 3.6 for a wile. OpenBSD feels a lot like Slackware. It is pretty locked down by default, and have lots of really neat security features. It is a great system to learn and play with. But if I have to choose between OpenBSD and FreeBSD, I'd most likely get FreeBSD, because I do quite a bit of Java programming and it is now pretty easy to get precompiled binaries for Java SDK on FreeBSD. Past experience with compiling the Java SDK has been very troublesome.

I'm about to install OpenBSD 3.9 here and have a play with it at the end of the month. It should prove to be a valuable learning experience Smile
Greyhound
i've used openbsd for a little while. it's clean and strong for server use. although it's not very fast, it's much powerful and security.
bryanbel
Being an IT administrator, I love my openbsd box. I used it as our corporate firewall and it really rocks. By utilizing its PF firewall feature I am able to control how my users connect to the internet and block unnecessary traffic.

At first, it is really hard to configure but once you had successfully configured it you would have less headaches.
vihang
OpenBSD is the one and only OS which had Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years!!!!

Cool
stoned_spirit
OpenBSD is a freely available Unix-like computer operating system descended from Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) .

OpenBSD includes a number of security features absent or optional in other operating systems and has a tradition of developers auditing the source code for software bugs and security problems.

OpenBSD currently runs on 16 different hardware platforms, including the DEC Alpha, Intel i386, Hewlett-Packard PA-RISC, AMD AMD64 and Motorola 68000 processors, Apple's PowerPC machines, Sun SPARC and SPARC64-based computers, the VAX and the Sharp Zaurus.

for more informations or to get OpenBSD : www.openbsd.org
kenny121
I would like to try ,altough i have not use either of them before.
urangkayo
I would like to try, but i have problem with bandwith if i download openBSD

at my country, openBSD not have mirror Sad
simp
I like it. If you think that security is not a luxury, and if you really care whether things are "correct", give it your consideration. The basic install is surprisingly easy, but only after you have done it once (or twice). But beyond that . . .

1) If you have to ask, it's probably not for you.

2) No whining! Crybabies are not welcome at the mailing lists, inhabited by the most notoriously unfriendly and vicious people of all. But they do know their sh?t, and do not suffer fools gladly. So . . .

3) Be prepared to roll up your sleeves and do some learning for yourself. Just like farming, you get out of it what you put into it.

4) It is best suited for secure server setups. It is worst suited for multimedia "just entertain me" user setups.
hadiwijoyo
Anyone using OpenBSD for VPN Server and Firewall?
hadiwijoyo
the “secure by default” is cool Twisted Evil
Studio Madcrow
Meh, the only BSD I care about is PC-BSD, a user-friendly, all graphical (including config) distro of FreeBSD. It's up there with MacOS X in the race for "most user-friendly Unix-like"
hadiwijoyo
urangkayo wrote:
I would like to try, but i have problem with bandwith if i download openBSD

at my country, openBSD not have mirror Sad

Hi ....
Please open www.corebsd.or.id ...
zb10948
It's the best system, for what it's made for. Hard security. It can be used as standard UNIX workstation, but lack of hardware support doesn't add well.

That's why i love BSD family. There is one that has speciality in forms of raw network speed and portability (NetBSD), the one that it's virtually buletproof (OpenBSD), and, the jack of all trades, FreeBSD.

If you're going to study basics of UNIX systems, i suggest OpenBSD, it's development line hasnt' moved from basic UNIX priciples, like monolithic unmodular kernel.
mogchr
Go with Free-BSD. Even though OpenBSD has some nice drivers which should be ported to FreeBSD, FreeBSD is the way to go due to its easier syntax and more available ports. I find that FreeBSD is going to beat out the other competition (in BSD terms) and will rise in popularity to the level of most major Linux distros. Try it out, and if you are looking to use OpenBSD due to security, you can always look into TrustedBSD for FreeBSD.
dolopo
Dh,
I have used this operating system to perform my server and I'll warning you, that OpenBSD has a disadvantages about its power.
so.. if your power supply has down immediatelly.. its excactly has very bad effect to your OpenBSD.. thats okay when its happen to you just once or twice... but becarefull if that happen for more times..

-Salam Betet-
{name here}
mogchr wrote:
Go with Free-BSD. Even though OpenBSD has some nice drivers which should be ported to FreeBSD, FreeBSD is the way to go due to its easier syntax and more available ports. I find that FreeBSD is going to beat out the other competition (in BSD terms) and will rise in popularity to the level of most major Linux distros. Try it out, and if you are looking to use OpenBSD due to security, you can always look into TrustedBSD for FreeBSD.

Really OpenBSD was never intended to be a desktop OS. Security and stability in a server environment is what OpenBSD is made for, hence the lack of packages.
thelimpkid
What's better for a desktop pc (no server), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, any other BSD?

I want to try out other OSes than Microsoft Windows..
{name here}
thelimpkid wrote:
What's better for a desktop pc (no server), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, any other BSD?

I want to try out other OSes than Microsoft Windows..

I would really reccomend using BSD more as a server than a desktop, but if you really want a desktop BSD try NetBSD or FreeBSD. Those two are more favorable to creating a desktop environment.
Med365
OpenBSD is based on Unix BSD developped at Berkeley's university.
This OS obective is to be the most secure it can be, and it is VERY secure and VERY stable.

OpenBSD is not really apropriate to use as Workstation but it can be excellent if used as server or professional uses (in a production network for exemple).

OpenBSD is a real UNIX Wink
turbowolf
I think the mainstream of the BSD like systems is FreeBSD now.

bryanbel wrote:
Is there somebody here who uses OpenBSD? What do you think about this operating system.