FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Am I a soda addict ?

izcool
Well, for awhile now, I thought of myself as a computer addict. Too many machines to count, spent a lot of time over the past few years in front of a computer, but now I think I'm becoming both a computer addict and a soda addict.

To put it into retrospect, I've been collecting pop tabs from almost all of the soda cans that I've drank in the past year into a small Ziploc bag. It's been awhile since I counted how many are in there, but I'm sure there's several hundred.

(Take note that this is been from around a year of collecting these things).

My good friend at school shown me a headband that he made at his house over the past week or so that's made from those twisty ties that you get with garbage bags, from cheaper sandwich bags, and from the grocery store. He finished it just recently and shown me the result, a spactacular piece of art indeed. He said there has to be at least a thousand in there.

Anywho, I thought about chaining all of my pop tabs together to make a rope or a chain from them. I started this afternoon and got some done, but clearly not all of them. (In the photo above, the links are in groups of 3 pop tabs).

So, am I a soda addict ?

- Mike.
dz9c
Ha I didnt read all that but I saw the picture. Looks pretty neat lol. Reminds of duct tape with wallets and backpacks etc.
rightclickscott
Of course you aren't! And believe me, I know addiction. In my room, I have a scale model of my ex (we were together at the time) made out of ramen cups. I was thinking of burning it or throwing it away, but I put so much work into it, so I'm just gonna wait until my next girlfriend and give it a breast reduction because, and I am very serious about this, my ex had HUGE BOOBS. I am ****** serious, they were almost past double d's. I don't think I could ever get that back. Anyways, yeah, wait, thousands over the past year? That would mean you drink more than 3 a day cans of soda. I know all about being a soda addict. I usually get 5 or 6 bottles of soda and they are through after 2 days, but I don't spend that much money on canned soda. So you've got an addiction, yes, and you're spending too much money on it! Go to like Sam's Club or some other Depot store and get a 3 liter for a buck and that'll last you the day.
izcool
rightclickscott wrote:
Of course you aren't! And believe me, I know addiction. In my room, I have a scale model of my ex (we were together at the time) made out of ramen cups. I was thinking of burning it or throwing it away, but I put so much work into it, so I'm just gonna wait until my next girlfriend and give it a breast reduction because, and I am very serious about this, my ex had HUGE BOOBS. I am **** serious, they were almost past double d's. I don't think I could ever get that back. Anyways, yeah, wait, thousands over the past year? That would mean you drink more than 3 a day cans of soda. I know all about being a soda addict. I usually get 5 or 6 bottles of soda and they are through after 2 days, but I don't spend that much money on canned soda. So you've got an addiction, yes, and you're spending too much money on it! Go to like Sam's Club or some other Depot store and get a 3 liter for a buck and that'll last you the day.

I'm sure that I drink more than 3 cans a day. My mom is buying most of the soda (positive for me, isn't it ? Wink). I think my family loves soda, since we have like a freaking refridge in the garage all full of it. Go figure. So when I do buy soda, I normally go to Dominicks and spend about $5.00 on a case of 24 cans. Prices are just too insane at a soda machine, like .75 for a can. Man. Shocked

- Mike.
Srs2388
ummm i dont see any pic/links to a pic...
=( i sooo hate this stupid computer
psycosquirrel
I do, it is just a pic with TONS of tabs.

I drink a coke or soda a week. By my terms, you are an addict Laughing But, the only real way to tell is to see if you can go a week without a soda. If you can easily, then you are not an addict, but a dude with really bad habits Razz

Scott, your whole ramen thing... wow... Laughing
jabapyth
pretty cool chain Cool
reminds me of chainmail (i went through a phase a couple years ago, made myself a chainmail shirt Confused )
jongoldsz
I am no psychologist, so I can't tell you if you are a coke addict, but I can tell you that you have too much free time.
izcool
jongoldsz wrote:
I am no psychologist, so I can't tell you if you are a coke addict, but I can tell you that you have too much free time.

I might, but it's not hard to break off a tab after I finish a can of soda, collect em in my pocket, and put em into that bag after getting home. I've sat here for about an hour linking em together. As a matter of a fact, I'm doing more of it right now. Very Happy

- Mike.
jongoldsz
lol. you shouldn't drink too much soda. I'll maniacly laugh(muhaha) at you if your parents send you to rehab for drinking soda.
Vrythramax
@rightclickscott...

you gotta let go my pastafarian brother, burn that thing in effigy if you must...live, be free...the noodly one would want it no other way! On a serious note...if you are happy now, don't dwell on the past. Rear view mirrors are only meant to see what is behind us, not what is in front and right before our eyes Smile

@izcool...

gotta go with you on this one pal, I think the addiction is not so much cola as caffien...which puts you smack in the middle of the being a true geek. Geek is not a derogatory term for anyone reading this, quite the contrary, it signifies a person who is dedicated to tech. and chooses to stay awake by any means to find the solution to a given problem.

Welcome aboard izcool.
izcool
Vrythramax wrote:
@izcool...

gotta go with you on this one pal, I think the addiction is not so much cola as caffien...which puts you smack in the middle of the being a true geek. Geek is not a derogatory term for anyone reading this, quite the contrary, it signifies a person who is dedicated to tech. and chooses to stay awake by any means to find the solution to a given problem.

Welcome aboard izcool.

Awesome. Very Happy I never thought of it like that before. I take no offense to that comment, I take it as a compliment. *feeling better about the entire situation now that's been said*

- Mike.
CWFwrestling
There's nothing wrong with being a soda addict. I personally am addicted to every flavor of Diet Pepsi, especially lime and cherry.
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:
@rightclickscott...

you gotta let go my pastafarian brother, burn that thing in effigy if you must...live, be free...the noodly one would want it no other way! On a serious note...if you are happy now, don't dwell on the past. Rear view mirrors are only meant to see what is behind us, not what is in front and right before our eyes Smile

Well, it is kind of styrofoam, I don't feel like making a new one. So I'm probably just gonna throw it in the dumpster right down the street, but I think people would be really freaked out if they saw a guy that pretty much everyone knows walk down the street, holding a styrofoam ramen cup replica of his ex. Maybe I'll just disasemble it and just save all my ramen cups. I've got a good collection going so far!
Vrythramax
izcool wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
@izcool...

Welcome aboard izcool.

Awesome. Very Happy I never thought of it like that before. I take no offense to that comment, I take it as a compliment. *feeling better about the entire situation now that's been said*

- Mike.

have a coke, you'll feel even better Very Happy

*Sidenote* my co-workers and myself have a game we play that we call "Caffien Roulette", we make coffee using double the amount of coffee, brew it with caffienated water, and eat chocolate covered coffee beans with it....needless to say if you are not involved in the game, you more than likely won't understand a word that is past in that computer room Laughing
sibbahz
It looks like you get through a lot of the stuff, but i get through like 4-5 cans a week, plus some fizzys out of bottles at home.
Im sure im going to lose my teeth because of it!
DeFwh
I go through about 5 ~ 2-liters a week.

Except i drink a lot of diet, which to me does the same thing as regular.

Im addicted to the taste rather then the caffine.

I dont need caffine im already high on life. (this means that just living intoxicicates me, im not a pot smoker and never will be)
xposeit
i love soda.
lol
you're probably a pre-soda addict.
stop or continue while you can? Cool
Excellhoste.com
I love sode too man. It is the best!!!!
SusieSmacktard
I love soda as well. I even have my own home soda maker.
http://www.sodaclub.com/
Bob Simmons
if this took you a year, than your probably not a total addict
Hobbit
Watch out, you don't want to get diabities. There's some sad side effects that guys don't want at a young age.
rhathar
I would consider 3-5 cans of soda a day an 'addict'. That's really a loose term, though. If you feel like you NEED a can or five everyday, then yes.. but I'd consider five cans a day more under the 'abuser' category Wink j/k

Although, seriously, depending on how long you've been drinking soda, I'd worry about kidney stones. The main things that cause them are things like coffee, tea and soda.

Yeah, kidney stones suck :/ You can't really appreciate them until you've had one or talked with someone who has.
cnnet
no I don't think so
if you pay much attention on one thing then you say you addict,
it's not right
when I find nothing around me boring
I'd not addict anything
twisthigh
Well if you are then I'm just terrible, because if I collected tabs for one year, I would need a garbage bag not a ziploc.... I drink 8 a day, so that would be 56 sodas a week... 224 a month and 2688 a year... so yeah, I think I'm a little more addicted than you, but then again, I can admit I have a problem, I just love my Diet Pepsi, I have one when I wake up, one between that and lunch, one with my lunch, one in at around 2 and one around 4, one with supper one while watching primetime tv, one at around 10 and one before bed... so yeah, that's bad... so all in all, I'm addicted, your not... lol
rhathar
Give it a good five years, and I think we could fill that ziplock with kidney stones, too. Wink
izcool
twisthigh wrote:
Well if you are then I'm just terrible, because if I collected tabs for one year, I would need a garbage bag not a ziploc.... I drink 8 a day, so that would be 56 sodas a week... 224 a month and 2688 a year... so yeah, I think I'm a little more addicted than you, but then again, I can admit I have a problem, I just love my Diet Pepsi, I have one when I wake up, one between that and lunch, one with my lunch, one in at around 2 and one around 4, one with supper one while watching primetime tv, one at around 10 and one before bed... so yeah, that's bad... so all in all, I'm addicted, your not... lol

Really, you drink one first thing in the morning ? My stomach would hate me for that. It would have to be around the later part of the morning or mid-afternoon to start to drink one.

- Mike.
DarkSpark
I would scarcely call that an addiction... While i am from australia i will attempt to explain how much i drink... Not all measurements will be in teh metric system not imperial garbage.

We buy soft drink in lots of 2 two litre botles... (the biggest ones) they last me about a day. A bottle is the equivalent of say. 6-8 cans i think :S... I drink about 1 and a half of the bottles in a day so yea... If anyone has an addiction here it's me. :p
rightclickscott
DarkSpark wrote:
I would scarcely call that an addiction... While i am from australia i will attempt to explain how much i drink... Not all measurements will be in teh metric system not imperial garbage.

We buy soft drink in lots of 2 two litre botles... (the biggest ones) they last me about a day. A bottle is the equivalent of say. 6-8 cans i think :S... I drink about 1 and a half of the bottles in a day so yea... If anyone has an addiction here it's me. :p

Just 1 and a half? I usually get 8-10 bottle that are supposed to last me the week. They usually last 2 days.
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
DarkSpark wrote:

Just 1 and a half? I usually get 8-10 bottle that are supposed to last me the week. They usually last 2 days.

*laffing* your all newbies! Take the step, commit yourself....become the energized person you can be! I have been asked by software developers, System Admins, and people I respect (just recently)..."do you ever sleep?" My response..."nah, it's over-rated".

Crack that soda open and live!!! Very Happy

*yeah...I am a Geek*
Lied
I once knew a cola addict, i mean she could easily drink up to 5lt each day, 6 years after and she has no problem with her stomach or so.So i think that drinking soda is no big deal since i am not aware of any implication of carbone dioxide overdosing Smile Maybe you should invent a mashine that automatic carbonates water (maybe adding lemon flavor also) Laughing
ryanh2006
I dont wanna be nasty or anything but yeah I think that 3+ cans a day is isane. Forget the threat of diabetes (which is a terrifying threat in itself) but then you have too much caff. in your blood and that's neglecting even more caffeine that you ingest from coffee, tea... I guess what I am saying is that balancing what you eat and drink is key. Your body does not need 3+cans of soda, plus candy, plus buckets of coffee .. everyday. I mean I used to love all that stuff but recently I have begun to look at if from my body's point of view. It really doesnt need all that commercial crap. Hell I dont want to sound like a preacher nor do I want to send like a health freak but I guess a mixture of juice, water, 1 cup of joe in the morning, 1 can of soda... is better then just guzzling this stuff down. Rolling Eyes
Vrythramax
ryanh2006 wrote:
I dont wanna be nasty or anything but yeah I think that 3+ cans a day is isane. Forget the threat of diabetes (which is a terrifying threat in itself) but then you have too much caff. in your blood and that's neglecting even more caffeine that you ingest from coffee, tea... I guess what I am saying is that balancing what you eat and drink is key. Your body does not need 3+cans of soda, plus candy, plus buckets of coffee .. everyday. I mean I used to love all that stuff but recently I have begun to look at if from my body's point of view. It really doesnt need all that commercial crap. Hell I dont want to sound like a preacher nor do I want to send like a health freak but I guess a mixture of juice, water, 1 cup of joe in the morning, 1 can of soda... is better then just guzzling this stuff down. Rolling Eyes

*sigh*...you may be right, but I will continue on my current course of action.
Scorpio
You can sum this up in a word

ADDICTION

Actually it is really tough to get over these things, however trivial they may be.

It is wise never to have started in the first place.

But, these things erode your body over time, and kill you eventually(unless of course, if you are not run over by a truck or mauled by a bull before that)
[FuN]goku
send me those pop tabs...... at cadets we're saving them to get a wheelchair for someone so far we got a shatload
r1bb17
make a chain mail armor suite out of the pop tabs LOL
avk
I LOOOOOOOVE SODA

I think that it is too good and takes me to hell(cuz lost of heavening done)..

However i like it
lockwolf
I remember the days when I was a soda addict. I sat there for hours and drank a minimum of a 2 liter bottle a day. Now, I have constant headaches.
ltbennett
man im just the same i feel less alone in this world now some 1 is addicted to soda and pcs i have 2 many machenes 2 count and just about evry desent game or mmo there is and cant stop drinking the stuff hold on need a drink......

........ ok where was i, oh yeah soda i think any1 who dosent drink soda or alcahol or a mixture of them both is a really srange person or 2 young to do so

bennett
goutha
I don't think you are... but be careful... soda is not good! If you can drink some water in stead... you'll live about... 2 or 3 more years Smile