FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The death of comics

perfucorp
What ever happened after the big comic boom of the 90s. I think its just an outdated artform. Too many people today want an instant for of entertainment. No one reads anymore.
Scaramanga
The comics industry has been around for over 100 years (at least in the west,) I don't think it's going away anytime soon. Also, the bubble for comics burst in the 90s because the market was oversaturated with crap (read as: Rob Liefeld) and variant multi-cover crossover books galore. The comics market has always gone through ups and downs like this before and always bounced back. Also, I'd like to point out that people have been saying that digital art and new media are the way to go now, for 20 years, and it hasn't really stopped the industry much. That's not to say things like webcomics don't offer a new paradigm, I just don't think they're going to replace traditional print comics and graphic novels anytime soon.
rightclickscott
I don't know what the ****** you're talking about. When it's not webcomics, gaming, movies, or anime, the only thing I here about is comics. I don't even read comics, yet I still have a sizeable amount of graphic novels. I constantly see bookstores selling out of the latest edition of some new comic that I don't read, and I couldn't be happier that it's still going strong. Original print comics will only go away once people stop making things in printed type, and that won't be for centuries. You need to look at where you're coming from before you say something is dead, because some zombies might come back to bite you in the ass.
Tex_Arcana
perfucorp wrote:
What ever happened after the big comic boom of the 90s. I think its just an outdated artform. Too many people today want an instant for of entertainment. No one reads anymore.

The "comic boom of the '90's was more about collecting comics then about reading comics. People were buying comics and putting them in protective plastic envelopes unread so it would be in "untouched" condition. Of course anytime a lot of people jump on the same band wagon, and the publishers respond with "collectable" issues that excede the publishing runs of the regular issues then the market reaches a certain saturation then starts to take a dive. Maybe after these comics have neen long forgotten someones great grandchild will find a cardboard box with quite a payday for them and the collecting craze will start up again.

There is no way that comics are "dead". They have aways been a niche market and they always will be. There will always be people that enjoy comics. Your post isn't making a lot of sense to me really unless you're trying to unload your comics from the 90's and finding that no one really want's them. Comics are a very long term investment that you may not realize within your life time. Make sure your heirs understand that maybe one day your collection may be valuable. It just might take a long while, especially if your collection consists largely of issues from "the comic boom" of the 90's.
Guyon
If comics were a dying entertainment then Hollywood would not be pouring millions into the superhero glut of movies that have been coming out.

I think the art has never been better, as well as the stories. This is a great time to get into as well and continue your current collections. there is something for everyone.

Might I add, I hope everyone enjoyed Free Comic Book Day. I know we did!
TwinkleCarnage
Comics are still going strong. I happen to be a collector. Trust me, if it was a dying industry, there wouldn't be that many stores devoted entirely to comics around. There are at least 4 in my area and I live in the middle of nowhere. Shocked
Gates
perfucorp wrote:

As true as that is, now a days people never read anymore which saddens the sell of comics, but with techonlogy of high def telivison and really great shows like full metal alchmest and movies liek the final fantacy ones. it used to be back in the day your imagination was better then animation and tv. now it seems as techonlogy is far better then our imaginations or is that with telvision our imaginations are no longer as strong?
aussiemars
why do your think the comic industry is dead, not all comic industries are in the U.S. the japan ones still going good ain't it?
ltbennett
here is a comic for u >>>blunt man and cronic<<<
DopeyCriz
I used to Collect Predators comics, Violence and Tactics Razz

Too bad many shop doesn't sell them (I think they stopped making them)
Confused

~DopeyCriz
Alein_Atryda_III
Gates wrote:
perfucorp wrote:

As true as that is, now a days people never read anymore which saddens the sell of comics, but with techonlogy of high def telivison and really great shows like full metal alchmest and movies liek the final fantacy ones. it used to be back in the day your imagination was better then animation and tv. now it seems as techonlogy is far better then our imaginations or is that with telvision our imaginations are no longer as strong?

Man... you know that Full metal alchemist is based on manga of that same tittle? Manga - > comics. Which was very popular to begin with. So people DO read, just not the things they americans liked in 90's.

All those superheroses, endless sagas with impossible to collect every chapters... comic soap operas of super heroes. They started killing bad guys, divorcing married couples, killing good guys(auntie May in spiderman:o) just to get one time shows... Well... they tried to make new comics with less text...

There are still many comics, many ambitious ones too. It's less of mass product now. And manga takes the market because of many things. But don't worry, american authors adapt to new times well Smile There's nothing to worry about.
reddishblue
Superhero comics died after "The Suduction of the Innesent" and came back a few years later with the Barry Allen Flash who died 30 years later as for comics as whole i hope they don't die
NeoValkyrion
As long as there are nerds too lazy to write out whole volumes of manga, there will be comics.

Maybe when everything on paper goes digital. But then they'll be webcomics.
Scaramanga
reddishblue wrote:
Superhero comics died after "The Suduction of the Innesent" and came back a few years later with the Barry Allen Flash who died 30 years later as for comics as whole i hope they don't die

Actually the whole 'Seduction of the Innocent' debacle, only prompted the comics industry to self-regulate itself in the form of the Comics Code Authority, and really just had a major impact on horror and some true-crime comics, and meant authors/artists couldn't focus on certain things (bondage, drugs, violence and the "rewards" of crime.) I think now, looking back, most people agree that Wertham was a crackpot, and there are quite a few companies who no longer even adhere to the CCA.
ddukki
I actually used to buy comics once in a while, but ever since around 2000 or so, comics have started to disappear from store shelves and have been replaced by magazines. Maybe this is because of the Video Game hype, but nowadays it's hard to find comics in a non-comicbook store.
JoseRizal
maybe another reason for the decrease of comicbooks in stores is the digitization of them?
i see e-comics being swapped around on the web.

e-comics is the way of the future - no ink and no paper to waste, and storage is much easier.
jasmine
Also, with the trend of portable gadgets like palm and ipods, which can view ebooks and comicbooks, who needs 'paper' comic books? Well, okay, maybe if you're really a fan you could collect the hardcopys. Very Happy

As for me though, I mostly download the stuff I want to read into my Palm and that's it.
exarkun
jasmine wrote:
Also, with the trend of portable gadgets like palm and ipods, which can view ebooks and comicbooks, who needs 'paper' comic books? Well, okay, maybe if you're really a fan you could collect the hardcopys. Very Happy

As for me though, I mostly download the stuff I want to read into my Palm and that's it.

Yeah, it is the same for me. I find online mangas and comics to see. Well, it is the age of high-tech, so such things can't be prevented. And we are helping to save trees in this way too.