FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dogs

perfucorp
Why would anyone like another pet besides a dog. Individuality is cool but there are so many uses for dogs that sp many other types of pets that people have. Doesnt anyone know what the first pet was? What were dogs and cats doing before they were pets?
Scoria
I love dogs, got one myself. Their so prity Smile
I hate cats, they are not social or anything else, dogs are not only social, but a lot of other stuff too Smile

Dogs 4 life, down with cats Razz
prepkid
Dogs and cats were the rulers or universe before they became pets. Laughing
bryanbel
I have a 10 months Yellow Labrador. She's very playfull and hyperactive. Likes to nibble almost anything that she can bite on. Just this morning I found out that the handle of my umbrella was deformed and found some fang marks on them.

Even though she is that way I love my dog. I also have a 2 pet birds, a green parrot and a mayna. The parrot is still learning to talk but the mayna already knows how to speak a few words. I put both of their cages close to each other hoping that the mayna bird would teach the parrot a few words.

Smile
Mr Smith
I got a good quote...

To a dog I am its master
To a cat I am its servant

KILL DA KITTIES (Apart from my maggie)...

I own a very nice Beagle Bitch, she's mainly slouching infront of the TV (I have no idea if she actually watches it), or asleep... Apart from food time, thats all she does. She goes to walk over to her bed which is about 10 metres away after resting on the sofa, and drops in the middle of the floor - too tired. Lazy cow :/
Kai
Hey, I've been meaning to get a dog my problem is this. My ladyfriend and I both are picky in some aspects and would like a dog with certain qualities.

Hair: How long is the hair, I would perferable like a short haired dog
Size: I would also perfere a dog of medium size.
Bread: Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a Lab, or a German Sheapard, but then I heard it's genetic for them to get hip problems once over 5.
Training: I need to know what the gerneral cost of training is? I wouldnt mind a lab for hunting.

And of course,
COST I need to know how much a dog of these qualities are (estimate). How much they cost monthly (Food, Water, Vet bills, Shots etc.)

Can of you "Dog Lovers" give me a hand?

Much appreciated
avenger
well yea i love dogs but well what they were doin b4 they were pets to human?...........the were wild animals lol .........but the truth i dont know ........ but still having a dog or any pet for that matter is great for a person... mentally and physically!
Darkwind
I am a dog lover myself. I own an almost 2 yr old Doberman who thinks he is a human. He walks over to the couch and sits his bottom down like the rest of the household. It's pretty hilarious!
mtoni
I like dogs and cats...
Dogs for the funny things you could do with them etc..
I dont like the smell of them though, when they dont get washed enough,
but you'll get used to that.

We are a busy family so we don't have any pet, but our neighbours do.
They have a cat and it's always sleeping in our garden, so we somesort have a pet at home Smile
Blaster
Darkwind wrote:
I am a dog lover myself. I own an almost 2 yr old Doberman who thinks he is a human. He walks over to the couch and sits his bottom down like the rest of the household. It's pretty hilarious!

Sounds like my doberman. Very Happy He loves the couch. He just loves to chew on stuff. They think they are lap dogs. Let me tell you a 50 lb dog on your lap makes your lefs fall asleep.
osbits
I love dogs but other pets are also very funny.Do you trying to feed a group of ants?It is pretty cool.Just think about sleep with a snake,isn't it funny?
LMSdesign
Kai,
Labs and German Shepards both have long hair and shed a lot!, I mean a lot. Labs have two hair coats, an under coat and a top coat, the under coat sheds each year in thick clups and the top coat sheds all year. But, they are awsome dogs. They are both considered large dogs. if you are concerned about hips, have the breeder you get it from certify hips, meaning that they gaurantee no hip problems from genetics. You will be paying in the range of 300-1000 for a lab of hunting qualily, more depenidng on color, they come in black, chocolate, yellow, white, silver and a mix of choc and yellow. On the higher $ end are the silvers, then choc, then yellow then black. They are awsome family dogs and great hunters, to train them to hunt will cost you hundreds to teach them basic manners maybe only a one time class of less than 100.00$ They are fast learners. You may want to check out the ACK web page, htpp://www.ack.org they have a questionari to fill out to match you with a dog based on qualities you are looking for. Good luck.
Lisa
xoxmeholly
I love Dogs & Cats. I have one cat and two dogs....a long time ago I had three dogs and two cats.

My cat is one of the most interesting ones out there. He comes when I call him. He purrs before I touch him. AND........duhn dun duuuuuuun..... he snores. His name is Oliver. When I was little, I named him after the Oliver that is on Oliver and Company. I mean, who is that creative when they're that little?

I also have a chihuahua that scratches all of the hair off her back because she has allergies. Only, now, she is on meds, so she does not do that. However, instead of scratching, she eats constantly. We call her "Piggie" because she's getting a huge little round stomach. My boyfriend says soon her stomach will hit the ground before her feet.

Ginger, my Golden Retriever, has thyroid problems. She weighs about 126 pounds, which is thirty more than I do. She has to be on meds as well, so she won't gain anymore wieght.

I have a very disfunctional pet family! Very Happy
Thundr n Lightning
My horseback riding instructor has some of the coolest dogs and cats I've ever met.

Her Jack Russel terrier Fred is hilarious. He loves going fishing with my dad and always comes dashing down the driveway when he hears my car. They are a little yippy, but so cute that I can easily forgive him that, especially since he is an outdoor dog.

She also has a beagle named Truman... much more mellow than Fred, but also less affectionate at times. He's a very good hunter and a great dog all around though.

She also has two cats. A black cat that's pretty independent and a little mean, and then a longhair (white and tan) of some sort. The longhair (Mouseketeer Laughing ) is extremely affectionate and social. If I call her over, she'll actually go on a walk with me or sit there with me while I'm cleaning tack Smile She does such a good job keeping herself clean even though she's an outdoor cat on a farm, I wish she'd help me clean my tack too Laughing
gardenofashes
I'm very much a dog person but my boyfriends mom talked me into getting a cat a few years ago. I wouldn't trade him for anything. He loves me more than anyone and even though he's spoiled, he knows his place and he knows I'm his mommy.
38club
i love the dog more than cat ... this is coz the dog look like more useful than cat.. my dog can look after my house when i was't at home .. it is very clever .. it never eat food is get from other people... if i call it come .. it will come faster... besides that ... it never go out without itself....
thealpha
Personally, I like dogs a lot since they are lovely, right?
However, I think the first pets should not be dogs, it's because they may be too big for people to keep at home at first. Instead, I think the first pet may be some chicken or rabbit.
zogeth
Dogs make great family pets, but without care, can be a child's worst nightmare as well. its very scary when a dog get mad. Im afraid of getting rabies! When the virus reaches the CNS the patient presents with headache, fever, irritability, restlessness and anxiety. This may progress to muscle pains, salivation and vomiting. After a few days to a week the patient may experience a stage of excitement and be wracked with painful muscle spasms, triggered sometimes by swallowing of saliva or water. Hence they drool and learn to fear water (* Hydrophobia). The patients are also excessively sensitive to air blown on the face. The stage of excitement lasts only a few days before the patient lapses into coma and death!!
Annush_K
Before becoming pets, cats and dogs were plain wild animals, as well as any other. I've done a research on dog's history several years ago, so I can speak about it for hours. Most common version is that dogs are just domesticated wolves, but I have studied the behaviour of both and there are some major differences. Dogs' behaviour looks closer to jackals', and there is a version that southern breeds come up to golden jackals (canis aureus). The third of the top 3 popular versions is that wolves, dogs and jackals had a same now extinct ancestor (I had it's latin anme somewhere, but now forgot it, sorry Laughing )

As far as I know, felines also have a not ery clear prehistory, but most likely they come up to steep cats. First notices about domesticated cats were found in Egypt where they were used to reduce the amounts of mice and rats.

I have a dog, irish setter, and a cat, which lives at my granddad's now. Razz
gail1367
Hi all,

I have 3 of the most beautiful dogs. Dogs Rule!!!!

yenbin
perfucorp wrote:
Why would anyone like another pet besides a dog. Individuality is cool but there are so many uses for dogs that sp many other types of pets that people have. Doesnt anyone know what the first pet was? What were dogs and cats doing before they were pets?

i like dogs too,
got two at home!
really cute
sbx_master
Because of DOGs are people's best friends.
They will never complain you ans also hurt you.
raaeft1
Dogs have played an important role in my life.My first pet was a German Shepherd, Shekhar.Initially, I was afraid of him but later we became good pals. I was most upset when he died. Then my father got a black poodle,Lily.I recall one night after all these years. I was sleeping in the bedroom. Suddenly, someone threw the bathroom mug on me.I woke up with a shock.It was Lily who had got the mug from the bathroom to wake me up. She wanted water. I never saw such intelligence even in a human being. Lily gave birth to a male mixed pomerarian, Chiku, before she died. Chiku became my best friend and I even wrote a poem about him. He bit me two days after my sister got married.
Then we had no pets as I got married and my wife did not like dogs.However, seven years ago, I purchased a German Shepherd, Prince despite opposition from my wife. However, my wife overcame her ``repulsion'' and she started feeding and loving Prince. Now, my wife,daughter and I regard Prince as an honourable member of our family.
plantacja
I have a 10 months Yellow Labrador. She's very playfull and hyperactive. Likes to nibble almost anything that she can bite on. Just this morning I found out that the handle of my umbrella was deformed and found some fang marks on them.

Even though she is that way I love my dog. I also have a 2 pet birds, a green parrot and a mayna. The parrot is still learning to talk but the mayna already knows how to speak a few words. I put both of their cages close to each other hoping that the mayna bird would teach the parrot a few words.
fkmax
I really likes dog as pet, they are playful and can also be helpful. They will do what we tell them if we teach them when they are young. I myself have two dogs, i love to play with them and take them out for walk. Everytime before i take am going to take them out, they would already know and then would be happily waiting for me at the gate.....
carlosnino
There's nothing like a dog when you are sad. Only by looking at him you chear up a little bit.
triggerhappy
i say i have enough dogs already but they are pretty cool i like dogs the way they play the way they sleep everything about them Very Happy
Pablo Diablo
I think people who have had dogs or cats before might want a different pet for a change. Also, having other types of pets is new and exciting, and whats wrong with having an open mind anyways? I have a friend who has canaries, another who has an extremely hyper chinchilla, another who has a frog, and another who has a lizard. Variety is the spice of life, even when it comes to pets!
kazoe
I prefer dogs over cats. I dont know, I just prefer the playfulness of dogs and they are more cuddly (but maybe its because a cat clawed by hands once, LOL) and fun to play with. And I love their furs.

Anyway, I dont mind having other pets. Personally, I like hamsters. I even got fishes (sharks to be exact) for pets. Our house almost turned into a zoo because I like keeping animals. (Turtles and birds in addition Rolling Eyes ) But now, I'm only keeping a little hammer head fish-thing and a dog.
woundedhealer
Quote:
They will do what we tell them if we teach them when they are young.

You can teach a dog of any age. An RAF dog handling team got dgos from 9-11 years old from animal shaelters and tought them display routines. These dogs were fantastic.

I've got an 8 year old Pommeranian called Shelly. I got her as a rescue when she was 5 years old. Because she had been a top show dog (she had to have a caesarian and couldn't be used as a breeding machine) she doesn't know how to play. I tried tio teach her, but she had no interest in it. I'm disabled and someone suggested I trained her to be my assistance dog, which I've done. She loves working, it's her way of playing.

Every morning when I wake up, I say 'good morning' to her and she comes and greets me by licking my face, which is a normal dog type of greeting. I'm so glad we found each other.
myspacerules
omg i so dont like dogs, i would rather have a cat anyday, although dogs are more loyal than cats, i just like how cats are more easy to maintian than big stink dogs.. lol..
woundedhealer
myspacerules wrote:
omg i just like how cats are more easy to maintian than big stink dogs.. lol..

My dog is smaller than most cats, aprox2 .5kl in weight, and she doesn't smell, so maybe you would like her. She hasn't got dog breathe either.