FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help plz

munkey_boy
Hi is there a way i can have a www.mysitename.com for free or have it like that and just link to my frihost site coz my friends cant remember www.munkeyboy.frih.net even though frihost is the best hosting ive used!!!

what all this stuff bout' "home servers" mean anyway
04S07
There is absolutely NO FREE DOMAIN + HOSTING on the internet.
Sometimes there are .info domains available, but they still require your credit card number.

Having free reliable hosting with php, unlimited mysql databases, unlimited email accounts and 250mb webspace is already extremely good. I don't believe your friends can't remember a simple subdomain like that.
wumingsden
munkey_boy wrote:
Hi is there a way i can have a www.mysitename.com for free or have it like that and just link to my frihost site coz my friends cant remember www.munkeyboy.frih.net even though frihost is the best hosting ive used!!!

what all this stuff bout' "home servers" mean anyway

you can get a .tk domain, like www.munkeyboy.tk although there will be annoying banners and ads placed on your www.munkeyboy.tk site. It will only re-direct to your .frih.net site though. Other options is to simply buy a domain, mine costs $8.88 with whois protection per month.
Other options include getting another re-direction service although your site will still have a subdomain, like www.uni.cc

A home server is a PC that acts as a server.
[FuN]goku
they had .be domains avaliable for free at one point... but if im correct they dont give them out anymore.... .co.nr is a good domain name tho...
Scorpio
[FuN]goku wrote:
they had .be domains avaliable for free at one point... but if im correct they dont give them out anymore.... .co.nr is a good domain name tho...

yes they dont give out .be anymore..

I think .tk would be OK..

But seriously its wise to buy a 2$ domain instead of haggling over ads and stuff.

Heck it is only 2$.. a year

People probably waste that much money every day
Animal
Moved to Domain Names forum.
Hobbit
scorpio wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:

yes they dont give out .be anymore..

I think .tk would be OK..

But seriously its wise to buy a 2$ domain instead of haggling over ads and stuff.

Heck it is only 2$.. a year

People probably waste that much money every day

True, I spend that at lunch every day. I think sacrificing one meal is worth it.

If theres no way you can buy one, go for .tk, you can remove the banners if I'm correct. A lot of people don't do it, but you can.

I don't recommend co.nr, in that case use frih.net.
wumingsden
May I just add that I don't recommend using the .tk service - www.dot.tk - if your thinking about removing the banners because i recently registered and tried removing the banners via SMS twice and it didn't work. Thus meaning that I spend money and got nothing in return.

I really do recommend buying your own domain, and $8.88 (this is what I paid with Whois Protection; around 4.75 Sterling per month) isn't much but $2 is even better.
Scorpio
wumingsden wrote:
May I just add that I don't recommend using the .tk service - www.dot.tk - if your thinking about removing the banners because i recently registered and tried removing the banners via SMS twice and it didn't work. Thus meaning that I spend money and got nothing in return.

I really do recommend buying your own domain, and $8.88 (this is what I paid with Whois Protection; around 4.75 Sterling per month) isn't much but $2 is even better.

You are paying 9$ a month for a domain?

Yahoo charges 12 bucks a year for a domain with WHOIS protection
CyanEyed
wumingsden wrote:

I really do recommend buying your own domain, and $8.88 (this is what I paid with Whois Protection; around 4.75 Sterling per month)

the .tk site has recently been updated. u can now remove the banner just by clicking the no banner option, also they have URL Masking which is quite handy. the only thing is that if u have already registered then u have to create a new account with them under a different email address because old accounts haven't been updated and you cant cancel your account

if ur paying about $8.88/month, ur seriously getting ripped off. go to something dotster.com or domain.com. u can get (almost) any tld for less than half of what ur paying INCLUDING .com Annually
wumingsden
Sorry, all, I ment to type per year. So its a better deal than yahoo domains which i'm gald about. I looked around for about a month due to the fact that it was hard for my to buy with my debit card and i can't have yahoo.

Also, yes dot.tk have updated their site but the banner removal does not work, i have tried.
Scorpio
May I know where you got your domain, wumingsden?>
wumingsden
scorpio wrote:
May I know where you got your domain, wumingsden?>

www.namecheap.com for all of my .net domains ($8.88 - 4.91 @ exchange rate 1.808, may differ - for one year .net domain, with whois protection)

namecheap also offer whois protection for $2.99 for 9 years - i will post the link later

www.heartinternet.co.uk for all of my .co.uk domains (6.09 for .co.uk domain for 2years; automatic protection of all data except name - address, phone number, and email address are hidden on .co.uk domains)
Scorpio
Oh!

I could have searched for a little more time to get my domain,.

But anyway thanks for the info Very Happy
CyanEyed
wumingsden wrote:
Also, yes dot.tk have updated their site but the banner removal does not work, i have tried.

go to my site http://www.cyaneyed.tk are there any banners there. i promise i havent paid for it (u can even check it on .tk's whois serch). Do you see any banner there?

to remove it u have to create a new username,cancel ur old domain, and register it on the new one. then u can remove it
wumingsden
CyanEyed wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

go to my site http://www.cyaneyed.tk are there any banners there. i promise i havent paid for it (u can even check it on .tk's whois serch). Do you see any banner there?

to remove it u have to create a new username,cancel ur old domain, and register it on the new one. then u can remove it

The old dot.tk worked perfectly, the new one doesn't. I have two accounts, for two domains, although i don't use the old one now. I ahve tried the removal of the banner twice, both times it has not worked yet it worked effortlessly on the old dot.tk Confused
CyanEyed
u probably jus got bad luck then, cuz my old account still wants me to pay to remove the ads but my new 1 doesn't.
turbohead
Try http://www.uni.cc
They provide yourname.uni.cc domains and DNS service to your uni.cc domains.