FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tips on reducing file size?

Sabz
Any tips on reducing file size for images, with minimum loss of quality and without reducing the size of the image too much? Thanks Smile

I've already converted them to JPEG... and I'm guessing the resolution has decreased a lot because the quality went down. They are still pretty big though.

I see images on microsoft clip art that are awsome quality, reasonable size, but they are pretty small file size. So I thought there might be a trick to it?
Sebaci
I've read about MUV picture format, it's much better than jpeg, it doesn't lose quality and compress much better than jpg. What a shame that this format didn't make a career
SGbilder
How big are they, how small do you want them to get, what's the resolution on the pictures now?
ocalhoun
If you open the files in a full-featured photo editor like the gimp or photoshop, you can save them as nearly any format, and you can adjust the options of the save to obtain the perfect balance between quality and size. Alternitively, get more space to store them in, or if they are on a website, make just one image load at a time.
KHO
l always batch large images with infranview before l do anything with it, it cuts the size in half with no noticeable loss, except that it does NOT retain frames, so this won't work on an animated GIF, sorry.
S3nd K3ys
Depending on the type of picture and the number/complexity of colors in it, you could try decreasing the color depth.
lol what
If you have Photoshop installed, you could use File > Save For Web to get a dialogue with many options for reducing file size. I think it also has an option to automatically compress an image to get it under a specified file size.
exarkun
Yup, and I prefer GIMP more. However, I thought that gif is a better and smaller file than jpg format?
jayandsilo
gif is a piece of crap used for clipart because they are drawings
calvinchin
Hi there,

Maybe you can try the Photo Razor or Photo Resizer... Wink

Look for them from freewarefiles.com Very Happy
manumiglani
http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/articles/image-file-size.php