FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web Designer

jimbronie
One question, I am in my mid 30s, always loved computers and the web is just wonderful. (Sure has come a long way from the old days of BBSes).

Would it be worth my time and money to take any web design courses?

Any info appreciated.

Jim
-TomJ-
You are the only one who can answer that question!

First you need to decide what you'd like to do with that knowledge. Would you follow a course just to increase the number of active brain cells, or do you have a slumbering idea to actually create a web site?

If so: what kind of information would you like to divulge to the world? Do you really care if the world wants to know of does the sheer fact of publishing brings you satisfaction?

In my eyes you're still a toddler (I'm 53 Smile ) and I have taught myself the basics of web design. Never followed an official course, but there are several web design programmes on the market that also provide a tutorial on how to actually use them. I have been using Dreamweaver for quite some time, and am quite satisfied with it.
I have published a personal site, and am now trying to grasp the ins and outs of dynamic web pages, using php and mySql. (Un)Fortunately, I also have a young family that needs my attention as well, so my rate of progress is a lot more modest.
jimbronie
-TomJ- wrote:
You are the only one who can answer that question!

First you need to decide what you'd like to do with that knowledge. Would you follow a course just to increase the number of active brain cells, or do you have a slumbering idea to actually create a web site?

If so: what kind of information would you like to divulge to the world? Do you really care if the world wants to know of does the sheer fact of publishing brings you satisfaction?

In my eyes you're still a toddler (I'm 53 Smile ) and I have taught myself the basics of web design. Never followed an official course, but there are several web design programmes on the market that also provide a tutorial on how to actually use them. I have been using Dreamweaver for quite some time, and am quite satisfied with it.
I have published a personal site, and am now trying to grasp the ins and outs of dynamic web pages, using php and mySql. (Un)Fortunately, I also have a young family that needs my attention as well, so my rate of progress is a lot more modest.

You have a point! I have already created few personal web pages, and with the wysiwyg applications (such as dreamweaver) it was made pretty simple. I haven't seen a large demand (at least at my current company) for web desiginers, as from what I have heard there are many of them out there. I have to think about it, but I may be in the same boat you are, I am trying to get my brain around php and forms scripting. Also as you my family is relatively young and demands a lot from this "thirtysomething" dad.

Have you found any good resources for PHP (for beginners)?

Thanks for the input!

Jim
-TomJ-
jimbronie wrote:
Have you found any good resources for PHP (for beginners)?

I have had a period of unemployment last year, in which I struggled through some 1200 pages in the PHP / MySQL Bible. That book gave me quite some understanding of PHP. But as the offering of OpenSource content management systems is ever increasing, I decided not to try and build a site from scratch, completely on my own, but instead use Joomla!.
I have some vague plans to incorporate my genealogical stuff, which I published in static form on my previous site, into the dynamic site that is already blooming in my head. At some point in time, because to modify the supplied style sheet to render the stuff the way I want it, takes more time than I thought. But I'll get there!
benwhite
You'd be suprised at the free stuff you find on the internet. A few google searches and you can find free tutorials and programs for basically everything out there. The web-based stuff especially, javascript, php, css, html, mysql, etc are approachable and out there.

Honestly, if you're willing to put the time in to muck around, you don't need to shell out money for a course. If you want to get into more advanced stuff, it might be helpful to receive formal instruction. But there's good stuff out there, and if you put the time, you'll see results.
Telnven
I would have a good look on the internet for tutorials and the like and I've found that the local library is a great help.
WebSiteGuru
If you intended to do the Web Designs Professionally, I would suggested that you take the course. It will help you in the long run.

Yes there are FREE helps out there on the internet, but mostly they are good for references and basic introduction to Web Designs. There are not many out there that will teach intermediate and advance technique on Web Designs.
AftershockVibe
If you are really wanting to get into this then yes I would highly recommend it. However, "web design" is the choice occupation of those who like playing with computers but aren't bright enough or can't be bothered to make it through university.

Of course, in this case you probably have the advantage as your age will probably put you ahead of the competition (no-one ever said job competition was fair).

Cool
openpowwow
wish begeinners courses, they are wastes of your time and money. you can learn so much more if you do it on your own and what you learn in the courses, is rudimantary and slow and often redundant and unuselful, and i speak from expirence, however, more advanced coursed in design and higher languages such as pearl, java, php and working with mysql are things you may want and need to leanr in a course with someone who knows all about it since things of that nature are quite more complicated and require more then just trial and eeor from your own work. but go ahead and do what you need to do.
menhao
yes, i suggest you follow your true interests, which will forward you to a higher lever professional skills. Yet about the web design courses, i think it is fine, but due to the time and money reasons, I suggest you take a few course at the beginning, then make further decision.

good luck!
kronso.23
If you're as gung-ho about computers as I am, I would, definately. There's a whole lot that's changed about the web. standards, new languages, and more dynamic material. I would definately suggest taking a web design class, or scripting class that teaches stuff like PHP, and CSS. If you're new to programming I would suggest taking like an intro to programming class, then learning stuff like PHP, because if you can get general concepts of programming down, it's easier to learn stuff like PHP.
Sephz0r
Just a bit of advice, I'd personally avoid beginner classes simply because they'll teach you things in 3-5 classes which you could learn in an hour or two at home.

A first attempt to do would to learn your syntaxes and the commands etc in html such as <? php ?>, <b>, <i>, <br>, <hr> and then take a couple of templates and edit them in notepad to get the hang of editing actual code, and maybe get a hold of a WYSIWYG Design program better than M$ Frontpage such as Macromedia Dreamweaver.

When you're confident enough to move on, try some intermediate/junior classes.
dacode
Hello,

I agree with what has been said above.
I'm 32 year's old, been connected since 1996, and been hand coding my first pages almost since then.

At first I learned by myself (books, magazines, websites), then I decided to take on courses. I've graduated in multimedia which is something I can put on my resume and helps me when dealing with customers. It also helps on the long run as it has been said, because you have to be carefull of your sources : sometimes (quite often) ready-made scripts or tutorials are badly written, stuck with backward compatibilies issues, and security hazardous.

BUT...you have to be very selective of the courses you're about to join. Try to meet the teachers, to have the detailed schedule, to meet old students...
I've been in courses (even until recently) where one of the teacher was way out-dated (designing using nested tables, not aware of xhtml...)

Things in webdesign go very fast, so don't put you money into lessons you're gonna have to unlearn because of some new better ways to do things.

Best luck !
Sephz0r
But then again, if you keep up with the times, you'll be able to learn the new things without having to pay to get taught! :]
atlanStudios
U R sittin In front of P.C. for 24 Hrs Make It as A Buisness.No Need of Creatin Web Pages And All Get Some
Quote:
WebSpace Domain And Sell It Off...
Check The Image below...

http://www.freewebtemplates.com/
pixor
If you are willing to learn you don't actually need to sell a product, you can make a living off designing and coding websites. Once you get the hang of it and start coding in php and whatever, you can demand quite high prices for a project that is easy to do, and people are willing to give that money to you since they don't know how. So selling your knowledge and intelligence is the best thing to do, I think. Give it a try.
beemzet
jimbronie wrote:
One question, I am in my mid 30s, always loved computers and the web is just wonderful. (Sure has come a long way from the old days of BBSes).

Would it be worth my time and money to take any web design courses?

Any info appreciated.

Jim

I'm too young to advise you, but i think web programming is much better than designing. While programmer you can create something new. But in designing much creativity is demanded.
So, its upon to you whether to be a programmer or designer...
Winterborne
I'm currently in the Multimedia program at ITT Technical Institute. True, it's not entirely about web design, but I am taking classes for that specifically. I have found my experience at ITT very informative and exciting as well.

As far as taking classes, it really depends on what you do want to do with the skills. In my current web authoring class, I have yet to find much information that I couldn't find in a book about HTML/XML/Dreamweaver. However, it does make a bit more sense to have it explained to you by someone that's actually in that field or has been in that field before.

If you're planning on going all the way with this type of career then I suggest going to a technical college and getting a degree. If your just wanting to do your own thing, or becoming a type of freelance web designer, self teaching can be a great deal cheeper.

Like TomJ said, the choice is yours.

I got into ITT after spending 4 years a another community college in music. I took some computer graphics classes and found that was what I really wanted to do. (i'm 25 now, and pregnant, so I know how you feel if you think deciding now is kind of like getting a late start on things, but I go to class with people that are twice my age and are doing fine.)
marcmgeronimo
If you have a small technical knowledge (background on web designing and programming) it would be advisable the you just google it out and learn from lots of free stuffs just lying in the internet. You'd be surprised that almost all the things you need, walkthroughs, tutorials are free for almost all levels of users.

However, if you really do not have any idea on how to do things on the web, it is advisable for you to take courses on it, but the cost is not cheap. Most centers would charge a lot for a simple lesson that you can actually learn by yourself.

If you have friends who know how to do some programming tell them to guide you to start your lessons... it would be cheaper.
sbel
doesn't designing a website take time. I mean alot of time? And to be a qualified web designer, do you need to know every detail so well that you should be able to design a table from scratch without a WYSIWYG?
Dragonfly-online
Well, myself bieng 13 years old and know almost all HTML as well as CSS and some Java, i would Highly suggest learning. You could even teach yourself as i Have. Some good beginner sites are HTMLgoodies.com and Lissaexplains.com Both provide in-depth details and explanations of how to properly Design sites...[/u]
Droop
I'd say google the basics or go to one of those sites mentioned already (htmlgoodies.com) is where I personally learned things. To me there's more than just webdesign when it comes to making a good page, or a page that sells as u will. Graphics is really what makes the page stand out. So if u had to take a class for learning purposes, I would do a graphics class and self teach urself the rest. Save money till u get the hang of it. If then after ur pleased with ur work should u take a course to learn more than what u know. I taught myself how to use all adobe software (goLive, after effects, Photoshop etc.) There are alot of programs out there that are self explanatory and shouldn't have to take a course on the how to build a site. for example adobe golive, very easy to use and user friendly. I fell in love with the software after years and years of using dreamweaver. I recommend that or dreamweaver if ur a beginner. my two cents..!
tamilchild
Now many more web designing webpages are available in internet. It is very easy to learn Laughing