FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

World of Warcraft movie

rein
In this press release the head of blizzard entertainment, calif irvine, announced that they will -together with 'Legendary Pictures'- make a big screen adaptation of the Warcraft universe.
I don't know about you, but that sounds like music in my ears. There is just no way to make this movie suck. It's all there; heroes, battles, monsters, ...
What to you guys think?
mrblah
rein wrote:
. There is just no way to make this movie suck. It's all there; heroes, battles, monsters, ...
What to you guys think?

Yeah right, I'm sure that's what the guys that made Doom said too. I think the problem with making movies off of games is that they usally get 2nd rate directors and writers for the movies. They almost end up being direct to video movies.
rein
True, Doom wasn't exactly inspiring but there's some good examples too; i'm thinking: Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, ...
Doom didn't really have a story to begin with. Warcraft has a lot more to offer.
m_furquan36
Wow, finally WOW's got its own movie! BTW are those screensshots from the movie?(Above the press release on the Blizzard Website?), cant wait for it! Being a die-hard wow fan! [Wink]
Jeff_vella_leone
rein wrote:
True, Doom wasn't exactly inspiring but there's some good examples too; i'm thinking: Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, ...
Doom didn't really have a story to begin with. Warcraft has a lot more to offer.

i agree, warcraft 2 was one of the first games i played and it had a good story with portals and heros etc from warcraft 3, i think the movie should be great, hope to c it soon in the local cinemas Smile
elcyron
rein wrote:

There is just no way to make this movie suck. It's all there; heroes, battles, monsters, ...

dungeons and dragons sucked, heroes and monsters didn't help one bit.
it all depends on the script, and personally i hope it's not gonna be some party raiding the core or doing a battleground.

from the game adapted movies i have seen so far the movie will have nothing to do with the warcraft setting, at best it'll be a descent fantasymovie.
hope i'm wrong though.
Rmgk
I have a better title

"Life of a WOW player"

The scene starts with a dark room a computer and a tonn of nachos, and pretty much goes for about the whole movie with short toilet breaks and "power nap" periods and snack refueling.

Not meaning to offend wow players here but that game has the power to STEAL YOUR LIFE Razz
elcyron
grand finale of the movie:

player is fcasting his last spell, we see nefarion(or some other boss mob) fall. while the player cheers opens his last tripple caffeined cola someone sneaks near and ninjas the mob. player dies of heartattack...
opuris
Nothing more than heart afire. Different background, same story. Just as George Lucas did in Star War.

However, I'm curious~ Very Happy
alkady
I've noticed this trend lately where they are making movies out of games instead of games out of movies.

You had Doom, Then there is this and lets not forget the "Pac Man" movie I'm hearing they will make.
AzTeK
hah it would be cool if they made a warcraft movie i guess the fighting would be similar to lotr and i wonder how the script would be cuz wow seems like mainly war.
Pensuke
Hmm, I realized that the WarCraft universe and the story can get pretty in-depth sometimes. They do spend a lot of money in hiring people to create a good backstory for their characters and all their races.

Hopefully Blizzard will pull through on this and not make it crap though.
NemoySpruce
personally, im getting sick of seing computer graphics on the big screen. I hope they dont lean too much on CG for this one, i want to see real metal being crushed, real stunts! real explosions. I hope they dont try to explain a load of background info, yknow for the un-initiated crowd. like lengthy flashbacks and sh*t like that to explain some history of what the undead or the orcs are, let the viewer google that crap, lots of it on the net. they cant screw this up, even with a basic plot. develop character, develop conflict, introduce villain, charcter kills villain in an epic battle, resolves conflict, hang the ending for a sequel. i hope they just make it a fun film to watch. and for chrissakes keep uwe bol way out.
elcyron
alkady wrote:

You had Doom, Then there is this and lets not forget the "Pac Man" movie I'm hearing they will make.

still waiting for you to say "just kidding" ...

a pac man movie?? what next? tetris? pong?

i think the beast idea would be to tell the story of a village or city being raided by the burning legion or something like that. if they even try to explain the entire background in 120 minutes it just won't work.

hm, maybe a TV miniseries would be a nice idea. one episode per playable race, another episode about legendary heroes... something like taht
picsite
rein wrote:
In this press release the head of blizzard entertainment, calif irvine, announced that they will -together with 'Legendary Pictures'- make a big screen adaptation of the Warcraft universe.
I don't know about you, but that sounds like music in my ears. There is just no way to make this movie suck. It's all there; heroes, battles, monsters, ...
What to you guys think?

Thats the complete opposite of what I would think...you are taking fake animated characters which are known for their differences and generalizing them into the few characters in the movie. Why not just play the game and you will get the same heroes and ppl in real time action and you could be solving a mystery or doing a quest.
pennymellow
rein wrote:
There is just no way to make this movie suck.

I'm with picsite on this one. There's just no way that this movie won't suck! I don't think that I can name one movie based on a video game that meets my expectations.

The same applies to roleplaying games. I am embarassed for everyone involved in the Dungeons and Dragons movies. The second wasn't nearly as terrible as the first, but still...

Alright, so I'm getting off track. Back to Warcraft: Blizzard are taking a game and turning it in to a franchise. Lame or not, almost every Warcraft fan will see this film. With World of Warcraft being one of the biggest MMORPGs around, there is no way the company can lose on this venture. I don't have high hopes for the film, but good on Blizzard's marketing department for knowing how to turn in a dollar.