FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interesting DIY electronics projects

bassgs_17
Does anyone here have any interesting electronics projects theyd like to share? Im currently working on an FM transmitter that transmits all traffic on a connected telephone line. Im stockpiling electronics projects to complete this summer, so any would be greatly appreciated! Im also working on a homebrew electronics section on my site, which is linked in my sig. Itll be quite a while before its completion, however.
-Aquastrike
iridios
When I'm in the mood to work on electronic projects I like designing and building BEAM robots (BEAM stands for something just can't remember at the moment).

BEAM 'bots are basically robots that behave 'instinctively'. That is they follow very simple behavioral rules. Such as building a mouse that turns and runs away from sounds (or turns toward), or something that seeks out bright lights.

The mouse project I did while attending ITT for an associates degree.
Helios
I'm working on a cool project.

It's quite simple too:
I will record a piece of sound that will be defined as a "key" to open a room where I work in my house.

ATM I'm working a simple "idea demonstration" circuit using a JKFF as memory.

After that, I'll expand it to a big system that will use the 220V power line for.. power Razz
With this system, I will be able to record my voice's tremble(which is like a "voice code" - unique to every person) and use memory to "remember" that piece of data, so when I'd like to access my work room, I'll just pronounce something within a specific time period Smile

Then, it's "break the walls" time Twisted Evil
I want to implant the wires into the walls.
The control and backup systems will be in a safe place outside the walls Smile
Nyizsa
Cool... What if you catch a cold? Very Happy
I also have some plans, but right now I don't have the time for them.
1. A stabilized power supply. (This is the most important!)
2. An always-accurate clock.
3. Laser-relay between computers.
I will move this summer back to Hungary, so most of these will be done there - and after a couple of months.
Helios
A stabilized power supply is a must!

I have one of those and I have to say that anyone who's dealing with electronics should have one.

btw,
I won't catch a cold.
I will just "cut" inside the walls to place the cables.
There won't be any holes Razz
NjRocket
lol, some of these are pretty good, almost everything these days required a little fix up Smile
alkady
Actually there was this project by this citizen of New Zealand where he build a Mini Missile for only $5,000.00 but the site was shut down at the request of US authorities under fears that terrorist can get their hand on this info.
Nyizsa
Helios wrote:
I won't catch a cold.

I think you misunderstood me. I was asking what if you catch a cold, and your voice alters? You will have to sleep at a friend, because you lock yourself out of your room. Twisted Evil
R2.DETARD
my favourite project i've done is my alarm clock/ipod speakers.

basically an ipod cable mounted in that dock thing that comes with a nano, connected to the amplifying portion of my $10 (stereo) alarm clock,
with minijack-in as well as minijack-out, for doubling up the amplification.
An upgrade of the crappy 8ohm speakers is a must as well.

i've made about 4 of these for me and friends, and if you connect them all together they are louder than a passing train.
(B.T.W, it is battery powered as well as standard socket)

Another project related to the computer laser relay.
wireless (laser) speakers.

basically: attatch a minijack to a cheap laser pointer's switch, and attatch an LDR to the speakers and a battery, line it up... wham bam! wireless speakers!

kinda easy, but effective in wowing people.
Scoria
Im currently working on a project named open tibian server. It is really fun, im doing some mapping, code some sources and some c++, scripting some npcs and other general stuff, and just chilling.
The project name is (r) Scoria, and we'r comming quite far Smile
I might post some screen soon, too make you see what it looks like. It will be great, working with 4 other people, one mapper, coder, book writer and hoster. I had too do the website, so thats why im currently online on this forum, to get like a hosting website, for the website. When the main server is up, I will probably delete this post and insted the host will host the website on his computer, since lots of stuff there has to be connected too his computer, creating accs and more. Of course, you could make it using mysql, but thats would require which that the server supports it, which it currently does not. Well, we got a original working with mysql, but the more updates with magic and more, does not. Scoria is a massive online role playing game, mmorpg, and is about fighting monsters, doing quests, killing other people, buying a house, train as a knight, sorcerer, paladin or druid, fight with might or magic. Looks great so far, but I need help with the website layout Razz
If anyone would want too help, I would be delighted.
Kind Regards,
Scoria.

ps: join scoria Razz
Helios
Nyizsa wrote:
Helios wrote:
I won't catch a cold.

I think you misunderstood me. I was asking what if you catch a cold, and your voice alters? You will have to sleep at a friend, because you lock yourself out of your room. Twisted Evil

haha nice one!

I said there will be a backup system.
Some kind of a remote control or just a... KEY? maybe? Razz Laughing
AdamantMonk
Not so much an electronics project, (kinda I guess) but I made my webcam into an IR cam. (simple as hell for being cool for just a few minutes) It's just take out the IR filter and put a visible light filter over it.
Daniel15
Quote:
basically: attatch a minijack to a cheap laser pointer's switch, and attatch an LDR to the speakers and a battery, line it up... wham bam! wireless speakers!

That sounds nice Smile. I'll definately try that one day!

I did some basic electronics work at school (my school has electronics as one of the subjects). At school, I learnt how to soldier, and we made a few simple things. The only DIY thing I've really made was a serial cable to connect to a TI-83 calculator (which I got the plans from ticalc.org) Wink
a.Bird
daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

I did some basic electronics work at school (my school has electronics as one of the subjects). At school, I learnt how to soldier, and we made a few simple things. The only DIY thing I've really made was a serial cable to connect to a TI-83 calculator (which I got the plans from ticalc.org) Wink

I don't know about you, but I thought that thing was a bitch to solder.
carlokes
That laser project is quite interesting...made me feel that actually is quite easy to asssemble a wireless systems...guess is not that easy huh?
I not very found of electronics although i made some useful things like a cable where you can connect up to 5 headphones so that my friends and I cxan all listen to music while in college Razz
R2.DETARD
if you're interested, here is a website which gives instructions on a more complicated (and probably better) version of my laser speaker project.
Daniel15
a.Bird wrote:
daniel15 wrote:
Quote:

I don't know about you, but I thought that thing was a bitch to solder.

Yeah Razz... Well, first I tried the parallel cable (which was easier to make) but it wasn't compatible with my computer (the official documentation said something like "May not be compatible with Pentiums over 90mHz" -- Yes, it was old, from the time that the TI-82 was new Razz).

Then, I tried the serial cable. Yes, it was very hard to solder everything onto the 9-pin serial connector (and even worse, I bought the wrong type of diodes so I had to chop them out, and shove some new ones in). Now I have a cable with diodes sticking out from the sides, and that cover thingy can't fit on it Razz. A month after I made it (I had a borrowed TI-83 at the time), I got a brand new TI-84+ (oh well, I still kept the cable).

In case anyone's wondering, here's the plans for the link cable. It works with every linking calculator TI has released (TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-84+, TI-89 confirmed working by me and my friends).

Quote:
if you're interested, here is a website which gives instructions on a more complicated (and probably better) version of my laser speaker project.

Looks nice! I might try that one day Smile
bassgs_17
Thanks! I just got done making an emergency charger for my USB-enabled devices, the plans can be found by searching Instructables.com for "usb battery charger" I'm also making the "super iPod dock" which can be found on hackaday.com. Sorry for not linking these; I have other things to attend to...
-Aquastrike
Scott
Quote:
Another project related to the computer laser relay.
wireless (laser) speakers.

I've seen that project around lots, but haven't gotten around to it. I really want to get something like that up so I can get sound from my computer to my stereo system accross the room. It's pretty neat.

One project I'd really like to do is some sort of wireless connector for the TI-83, which could be used for some pretty neat things in class. I've seen an IR one, which I don't really like, I'd really like to find an RF transmitter connector. (Can anyone help me with this?)

Anyways, if you're into music, the Soundlab DIY Minisynth is an awesome project. I'm starting to put one together now, I'm a big fan of electronic music. Link: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/soundlab.html
myrevolt
its nothing as cool as the stuff all you are creating, but I started a simple motor from a kit in physics, cause we already took the AP test, so we have time to kill; some of the other students are making sirens, but there weren't enough to go around, so I decided to be nice and just make the motor instead of fighting with them. I'm only on like step 4 of 20 though ><
toughtrio
Well at school we made just simple Laser beam breaking then the door opening techniques with relay latching. That were just simple school based ones, but now I think to make a rocket power demo project. Thats a real big one and requires a lot of explanation and would be the main theme of my site, so its a secret for now but I would return soon with my BIG BANG.

Warm Regards,
edallica
im getting sick of the smell of solder!!!! i just cant handle the smell anymore!
R2.DETARD
bassgs_17 wrote:
I'm also making the "super iPod dock" which can be found on hackaday.com.
-Aquastrike

One thing i noticed when you are doing the ipod charger is that USB has a different voltage to firewire, and the ipod socket has diff. pins for each.

Firewire is a neat 9V
USB is something low

i mixed up my two ipod cables and put 9V through the ipod's USB pins... lucky the ipod has a well designed circut (unlike other things) and it lived, just warning you before you go gung-ho into it.

hacaday is a great website for this kind of thing too.
bassgs_17
I'm making that USB charger mainly for my Pocket PC collection; I plan on using a 9V connected to some firewire pins on an ipod connector soon.
-Aquastrike
rfwrangler
I am currently working on some wireless routers and some cognitive radio projects. The designs that I am working on will increase to capacity of wireless networks dramatically. I have worked on a lot of different projects for amatuer radio and I currently work in the electronics industry as a radio tech.

Some other systems that I have worked on are an alarm system for a factory that had multiple alarm types and pitches so that no matter where you were in the factory you could tell where the alarm was just by the sound. This fit in a box that was less than 2"x2"x1" including the speaker.
Andrew426
Im currently gathering parts for a rocket-assisted R/C car.
The most complicated bit is the valve, because not only does it have to be elictronically controlled, but the nozzle also has to be the correct size and angle to get maximum power out of the rocket.

Im trying to keep the cost down on this, since i plan to jump it into the sea when I get bored with it.
Daniel15
Andrew426 wrote:
Im currently gathering parts for a rocket-assisted R/C car.
The most complicated bit is the valve, because not only does it have to be elictronically controlled, but the nozzle also has to be the correct size and angle to get maximum power out of the rocket.

Sounds nice Smile. Be sure to give us some photos once you're done Very Happy
bassgs_17
soon, I'm going to attempt the Super iPod dock and post the details on my site. I've got a new site in the works, one to completely upturn my old one. Stay tuned!
-Aquastrike
R2.DETARD
yeah, i just built an ipod nano dock with audio out and firewire power in.

I now want to build The ultimate headphones...
noise cancelling, high/low pass filters, vol. faders and whatever else i can cram in there.
They won't look great, but it is a kinda cool geeky thing to have.

I'm a fan of simplistic projects that have maximum WOW! effect.
netadvancer
bassgs_17, last time i also trying to find a FM transmitter circuit that have a range for about 2-3km,but i failed. Would you like to share your circuit with me? I will appreciate you if you share with me , thanks.
Bookface
This site and the associated magazine have tons of cool projects you can embark on if you're just getting started (like I am) with this stuff:

http://www.makezine.com/

I highly recommed the subscription. Use the code "PREMIER" to save $5, and take it from the next issue rather than the current; for the $30 "Maker" subscription you get 4 issuse delivered plus continuous access for the length of your subscription to the online archives, which are very well presented and fully searchable.

This magazine really excites me-- and it's got more difficult projects in there for you more experienced folk to tackle too, but I feel like it's more on the level of PC World mostly, which was an early steppingstone into my current obssesion and wide knowledge base of computers, which means experienced people basically already know almost everything they have to say.