FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Of Diodes, Capacitors, and No Child Left Behind

bassgs_17
Does anyone here know of a good guide to diy electronics; i.e. the different types of resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc? I recently learned to solder, and have a few electronics projects lined up, including a telephone bug and a simple device to charge any device that charges via USB. I also have a few others lined up, including a magnetic stripe analyzer. Also, a good guide to using the PIC microcontroller would also be of use. Thanks in advance to all those who help with this; it’s about time I learn the fundamentals of simple electronics. I can assemble my own PC, yet am so naïve when it comes to making my own boards… That’s what being born in the late 80’s in the US gets you.
-Aquastrike
Helios
Today I had a final test about Digital Electronic Systems.
In addition, tidruG studies electronics in college.

The best way to self-studying is to buy a good book at the local book shop.
You will need the basics of radio-electronics and the basics of digital electronics to understand how the signals "travel".

You've just leant how to solder..(that's what you've said)
Putting components on a plate won't help you much. You will need to study some theory.

Just my 2 cents..
Scorpio
Helios wrote:
Today I had a final test about Digital Electronic Systems.
In addition, tidruG studies electronics in college.

The best way to self-studying is to buy a good book at the local book shop.
You will need the basics of radio-electronics and the basics of digital electronics to understand how the signals "travel".

You've just leant how to solder..(that's what you've said)
Putting components on a plate won't help you much. You will need to study some theory.

Just my 2 cents..

My suggestion..

Should this thread be in the Hobbies and Learning section or the Science section

I do appreciate you helios on taking care to answer the query of the user..

But you could have atleast mentioned it was the wrong forum..
Nyizsa
Yes, the projects you mentioned are good ones. I assume that you have the board layout and the parts list, and the only thing you have to do is put these together. It is quite useful of course, but as Helios said, you will not be able to make anything on your own unless you study some theory. And I think it is more complicated than being possible to learn all by yourself. An university or a college can come handy...
Helios
That's right.
If you're going into difficult digital stuff,
you should take a course at your local college.
You'll just understand these things easier w/o wasting time to figure them out on your own Smile
otiscom
Yes if you are realy interested in electronics, take some kind of course.

Get some books that will contain circuits and and explain the theory of them.

There are magazines produced exclusivly for the enthusiast, these I found very good before going to university to study it properly.

All said, go for it!
felisleo
i agree you shoul get entrance to electronics and some logic lessons too
prongs_386
haha, that's funny, i find you shouldn't need logic lessons if you are interested in electronics, the logic of circuits should be natural to your mind.
Helios
prongs_386 wrote:
haha, that's funny, i find you shouldn't need logic lessons if you are interested in electronics, the logic of circuits should be natural to your mind.

what are you talking about?
bassgs_17
I'm 17, (damn Carnivore, now the feds know where I am...) and I was planning on taking electronics courses in college. I'm going for a computer science degree, after all.

-Aquastrike
Scott
This site has been a pretty handy to me: http://electronics-tutorials.com/

I'm 17 and also pretty interested in electronics, I'm putting together an analogue synth soon.