FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

10000RMP SATA I or a 7200RPM SATA II

10000RPM SATA I or 7200RPM SATA II
10000RPM SATA I
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
7200 RPM SATA II
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

britto
hi

i am thinking of buying a computer and am trying to decide which would be better. A Western Digital Raptor 10000RPM 150GB SATA I or a Wetern Digital SATA II 16MB Cache drive.

Any support or ideas would be great

Matt
Frozen Balrog
The Cache and the SATA are going to speed it up more than the RPM. Plus i'ts probably more space right?
ForceRun
Yes the cache helps things, but the SATA doesn't matter because no drive even uses the full bandwide of 100 IDE, the highend drives hit maybe 60- 80 Mb/Sec. If you want better performance get the Raptior it is at least 5xtimes faster. What a lot people do is get two raptiors and raid them and install their system and programs on them and then get a larger 300gb+ drive for file storage. That way you can get the speed and space, but the setup cost around $500 at least.
psycosquirrel
Frozen, I have no clue what you are smoking. Your statement is completely wrong...

What Force is saying basically is that no drive uses all of SATA I's bandwidth, let alone SATA II's. Therefore, SATA II is completely unneeded with the hard drives of today. Since the RPM on the Raptor is higher, the read/write speeds will be higher, and will provide signifigantly better performance.

Go with the Raptor.
thuganomics
Yeah, 10000 RPM is alot better than SATAII! Cache is not important if you wnt to load games fast.