FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MySQL server on SuSE linux.

ocalhoun
Does anybody know how to start the mysql deamon on SuSE linux (or any other distro) After attacking the command line for about two hours the best I could get was with 'mysqld_safe' that command which, according to the log, started the server and immediately shut it down agian.
(OS version 9.2)
Nyizsa
Does it return any error messages? And mysqld? That would be helpful...
ocalhoun
running mysqld from the command line only returns an error that says something to the effect of: not running as root: refer to the 'security' section for how to run as root.

This error is ubiquitous no matter wether I am logged in as root, or just running a root console, or logged in as any other user.

The error message from mysqld_safe says that
-the server is running
-the server is shutting down because of <a non-existant file in the /var/lib/mysql/ directory which I can not remember the name of.>
AlexNet
are you running a version with the GUI? or just the command-line?

switch to root: SU - root

if you have no root password yet, then

as an admin user:

sudo passwd root

then the first command.

if this does not work then I would recommend reinstalling your distro, and making sure you have the whole package (all requirements met).
Nyizsa
AlexNet wrote:
are you running a version with the GUI? or just the command-line?

switch to root: SU - root

if you have no root password yet, then

as an admin user:

sudo passwd root

then the first command.

if this does not work then I would recommend reinstalling your distro, and making sure you have the whole package (all requirements met).

What are you trying to say with that? What does it have to do with MySQL?
ocalhoun
I know how to switch to root! I'm not a noob. And, yes, this being SuSE, of course I have a root password.
Yes, I am using the GUI, but YaST dosen't seem to have any controls for the mysql server, so I default to the console.
I'll try editing the runlevels: perhaps it has to be started during system startup?
Nyizsa
Mine does start at system startup, but I think it should work also when it is started manually. For your info, it starts in runlevel 2, with a sorting number of 20, and stops in runlevel 0, 1 and 6. I am using Debian, but it should not make any difference in this case.