FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HALO Requires no skill

Bender1337
HALO Requires no skill what so ever. First the sword charge is so gay you can lock on the enemy from like 20 feet away and it instantly kills them.
The rocket luncher does the same with vechiles making driving off impossible. the hit boxes suck because i can sniper someone in thier foot and it does the same amount of dmg as thier torso. And the last sucky thing is that the maps are all wide open so you can get sniped from anywhere.

Does anyone agree with me.
Plz tell me yes...
ddukki
I think that's one of the reasons why so many people play it. Advanced players know these tricks so they can either avoid them when possible, use them to their advantage, or flat out prevent newbies from using them. I've seen a couple inexperienced people try out Halo and win a couple of kills without really paying much attention to what they were doing, but overall, if you are advanced, those handicaps shouldn't matter.
AdamantMonk
Really how often are you gonna attempt to snipe someone's foot? You can dodge the sword lunge by moving to the right when they lunge, and if you're quick about it you can get in an assasination. Vechicles can dodge rockets with proper maneuvering provided you now you're about to get shot.

Really I think games that are all cover require no skil. Outgunned? move to the right a bit, you'll be good. Halo on the other hand requires you to fight whether you have a pistol against a rifle or not. Forcing you to adapt or die.

Maybe you just lost one too many games online?

Playing in LAN I think it's good. Broadens the playing field a bit. All the drunk guys, newbs, and people that haven't slept in 2 days are all fairly matched up with the competitive players and rec gamers. (In other words it's not a problem getting 16 people together even if they differ in skill somewhat.)
rightclickscott
I absolutely agree that the mechanics of Halo take no skill to learn, but it takes a shit load of skill to exploit these mechanics. I played against this guy when I went out with a girl named Allison, and this guy was one of her friends, and he just happened to have a 360. So, I played him 1 on 1 in Halo and in the first match, I won 25 to 0. We then had 2 sniper matches. The first one was 15 to 2, because he just happened to manage two kills while I was talking with Ally Cat. The second one, I wiped the floor with him 15 to 0. We then had a 20 kill Call of Duty 2 game which I won 20 to 19, and I never played Call of Duty 2 before? Why did I win? Because I incorporated all of my skill from past FPS's into this game. Now, the reason I beat him so horribly in Halo was this, and this is the one fundimental, the one thing that shows true skill: Halo is about balance. The original Halo was so good because all the weapons were all so super powerful, that they cancelled eachother out. In Halo 2, I had to find a new key to tip the balance in my favor, and it had nothing to do with weapons. This takes alot of skill, and the way to beat anyone in Halo is to keep them from seeing you by moving around alot, getting real close up, and blindsighting them whenever possible. This even includes sniping. In order to keep a strong tip of the game, you have to use all of your skill, and this is something that n00bs and little bastard racist kids who play online don't seem to understand. You have to know what to do in every situation, where to keep your crosshairs for the perfect noscope, how to move and make the perfect counter attack while anticipating their next shot, how your plasma grenade will arc for the perfect stick, and keeping up every strategy and little technique you've picked up for each level, for each weapon, while at the same time, keeping every move simple and yet unpredictable, while keeping the opposition off balance. That, my friend, is what I excersize and that, my friends, is pure skill.

Also, I really don't think anyone is credible enough to make decision when their first bad idea of something is it being gay.
AdamantMonk
Wow dude, all I see is a block of letters. I actually read through it though.

I think my friend said it best: "It takes a moron to shoot, But a gamer to live through it." kinda true Confused Confused
Nameless
Try beating Halo on Mythic. THEN tell us it takes no skill.
rightclickscott
Heh heh, good ol' Mythic skull. It was rather difficult, you know, while also having Assassins and Thunderstorm on, but I had Sputnik, Grunt Birthday Party, and Envy on, so even though it was still harder, the massive explosions and invisibility came in handy. I also found some nice hidden rocket launchers and fuel rod cannons that came in handy. I have to admit, though, it did get kind of tedious trying to find all those plasma pistols after wasting so many of them. You know, maybe if I turned Catch on? Either way, it's hard to keep an AI off balance when they know where you are all the time. I would tell you the name of that skull if it wasn't nameless. Hey, Nameless! That's the perfect skull for you!

Either way, I'm tired spending all of my time just making the game harder when I'm just gonna keep using the same Plasma Pistol, Battle Rifle/Carbine technique over and over. It also makes Coop harder because most of my partners are complete morons. Especially when multiplayer is where it's at. I still haven't had that gigantic defining game that I've been waiting so long for. That's why I'm getting modders to make cool gametypes which completely change the game for me.
Josso
I don't know about the 2nd one I went off it as soon as I heard anything about it and it wasn't on PC so I thought screw it. The first one... I took a long time getting good at multiplayer... I'd say it involves skill.
AdamantMonk
Actually the 'Nameless' skull was found to be called 'Cowbell' (via hex editing) and also had another name that popped up if you hit Sarge with it (enough).

Me? Got into modding the box for a bit. H2MP it just the right size to fit on the stock HD. It's nice for making the game a lil' more interesting in LAN, but proves to be a little novel as opposed to good 'ol multiplayer. I think I already went over this but any attempt to make the game balanced after even modding one weapon destroys the game's foundation.

Now I stick to asthetics (mostly sky swapping and lightmapping, 'cus I'm a noob @ modding) and now I can't wait for H2PC just for making new levels (it would be ever so awesome to have the ability to port them to xbox.) yeah, Vista's killer app.

This is awful ranty so I'll shut up as I'm adding little or nothing to the actual debate.
rightclickscott
I don't think there's much of a debate anymore. It's kind of like Poker or Chess, it takes seconds to learn and years to master.
AdamantMonk
Yeah, I just wanted to get more points than I deserved.
chargoyle
Ok, it's true that any numbnut can come along and pick up a sword and lunge at you or shove a rocket in your face. But, the skill doesn't lie in being able to use those weapons, the skill is in avoiding them. New players ALWAYS go for the sword or rocket, but I'll go for the battle rifle and the shotgun. If you have a shotgun, you can pull a fast shoot-and-punch on the lunging sword guy and kill him first. And if you see someone with rockets, shoot the BR three times and they're gone. Basic skills-wise, yeah, Halo's easy. But being able to take it to the next level and rise above those basic skills, that's not.
ltbennett
i like halo 2 probably because im good at it the trick is to learn the maps before u go online thats all i can say for the tricks

the veicals can do more if u know how to drive them porperly

and if u sett up ur own map u can turn off rockets and or snipers

theres a solution for evrything for the other players into using skill then we see who wins

its what i do and im lvl 34 online so i just think u are mownin for no reason honestly there is a solution for evry problem

if ur ever on xbox live look for gonzogriff and i say hi
headoncollision
I'm going to assume that you're saying that Halo 2 requires no skill, not Halo.

Halo > Halo 2. That's all I wanted to say.
Klaw 2
halo 2 DOES require skill, the sword is maybe a "little" overpowered. the rocket launvher may seem overpowered against vehicles but otherwise you kan shoot vehics from a great distance they wil just move to the side and they will go on shooting you, besides the rocket launcher doesnt have much ammo.
djsamsung
just passing by....

lalalalalala

and yeah! Halo does not require any skill!, you can beat the game just like that. at least put in a few challenging puzzles...LOL
Cthulhuman
Halo doesn't require any skill, but if you are up against people with skill then you are screwed because I don't play it that much because I'm not much of a fps fan, I was at an anime shop and I was playing a 4 year old there. Going into the match I was thinking hey I can beat this kid. Little did I know that he was legendary for his Halo skills and I got pwnd... I got pwnd bad. I barly even scored at all.
rightclickscott
Cthulhuman wrote:
Halo doesn't require any skill, but if you are up against people with skill then you are screwed because I don't play it that much because I'm not much of a fps fan, I was at an anime shop and I was playing a 4 year old there. Going into the match I was thinking hey I can beat this kid. Little did I know that he was legendary for his Halo skills and I got pwnd... I got pwnd bad. I barly even scored at all.

That's the thing, though. If you haven't really played it, then you can't judge it. Not only that, but and nub who knows how to shoot a BR can beat someone who's never played before. I've seen it happen. Let me go through this with a nice example:
My girlfriend has never played Halo, and one of her friends wanted to play with her. She got destroyed. So, I challenged this guy, and he got overkilled twice out of 3 games (he managed to get two kills off of my me in the second game). So, it doesn't matter how good the kid is, as long as he knows how to shoot you, then he's going to beat you. However, if he doesn't have skillz like mine, where I can take on 4 guys at once and come with their team flag, then he really isn't legendary for his skillz.
I bet you I could destroy that kid, hell, overkill him even.
Cthulhuman
rightclickscott wrote:
Cthulhuman wrote:

That's the thing, though. If you haven't really played it, then you can't judge it. Not only that, but and nub who knows how to shoot a BR can beat someone who's never played before. I've seen it happen. Let me go through this with a nice example:
My girlfriend has never played Halo, and one of her friends wanted to play with her. She got destroyed. So, I challenged this guy, and he got overkilled twice out of 3 games (he managed to get two kills off of my me in the second game). So, it doesn't matter how good the kid is, as long as he knows how to shoot you, then he's going to beat you. However, if he doesn't have skillz like mine, where I can take on 4 guys at once and come with their team flag, then he really isn't legendary for his skillz.

He probubly could because like I was sulking about it to one of my friends who is really good at halo and he was like you mean the owner's son, that's all he does all day is sit in the store and play halo. He did take on three people and won with like 27 kills to like 5 deaths. It was really strange playing with him because although he kicks everyone's ass at the game, when he gets killed he still responds like a little kid.
rightclickscott
Cthulhuman wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
Cthulhuman wrote:

He probubly could because like I was sulking about it to one of my friends who is really good at halo and he was like you mean the owner's son, that's all he does all day is sit in the store and play halo. He did take on three people and won with like 27 kills to like 5 deaths. It was really strange playing with him because although he kicks everyone's *** at the game, when he gets killed he still responds like a little kid.

Ok, maybe not overkill him, but I haven't played in awhile, and I played a game online yesterday, and at first, I wasn't doing too well, but in a matter of minutes, I got the kill lead out of everyone there and kept it, and we won 50 to 30 something, so I know I still have my skillz, and I could probably give him a good fight if I can warm up first. Next time you get the chance, see if he has an Xbox live gamertag, I want to take him on.
WizardOne
I imagine someone has already post this, as i'm not going to sully my mind reading the topic posts, but WHY did you have to make a post on such a pointless topic? So you don't like the game, others might, its just YOUR opinion, if you have to post a topic along these lines at least make it more along the lines of "What is your opinion on the amount of skill required in halo?" Your question answered itself and struck me as more of a rant than a real question. I refer you to the sticky that states posting best/worst game threads is a useless waste of time, its only a vague correlation but still I think it bears out.

RANT! >.>
rightclickscott
WizardOne wrote:
I imagine someone has already post this, as i'm not going to sully my mind reading the topic posts, but WHY did you have to make a post on such a pointless topic? So you don't like the game, others might, its just YOUR opinion, if you have to post a topic along these lines at least make it more along the lines of "What is your opinion on the amount of skill required in halo?" Your question answered itself and struck me as more of a rant than a real question. I refer you to the sticky that states posting best/worst game threads is a useless waste of time, its only a vague correlation but still I think it bears out.

RANT! >.>

That's like asking "why post on a forum at all?" It's a pretty good excuse to talk about Halo again. Also, I'm officially dubbing you a nub for now.
WizardOne
I may be a Nub, But I was an ANGRY nub when I posted that ^^.
exarkun
Yup, it might require no skill, but much of a team work is needed. It is the key to win if you are really into competition.
DopeyCriz
Hey

I completed whole Halo 1/2 game, on the hardest mode.
I find that that easy difficulty is for grandparents, while the hardest
setting is more suitable for hardcore skilled Halo player.

Embarassed My grandparent think the aliens is thier allies. And ended up killed.
rightclickscott
Halo on Legendary just isn't hard for me anymore. I got running riots up the wazoo today with my temporary team, The Bloods. I was the gay guy, and it was fun.
Nitron
Did any of you hear that some 8 year old kid is one of the best Halo players?
strato_220
mlg requires skill, especially learning the bxr and doing it effectively, oh and the double shot too
Eyre
Try playing single player campain on Legendary.
hobbes51
anyone that says a first person shooting game requires no skill, obviously has a poor understanding of the history and progression of video games over the past 10 years. Halo is perhaps the most revolutionary game of its time because it requires the player to adapt to the enviornment- to test their skills in a sandbox where anything goes. Just because you get killed every time you spawn, it doesnt give you the right to say that a game sucks.
rightclickscott
strato_220 wrote:
mlg requires skill, especially learning the bxr and doing it effectively, oh and the double shot too

I've been able to BXR before, but I still haven't mastered it. So, to compensate, I've been practicing long and mid range combat, and have been keeping a powerful weapon like the sword or shotgun as my side weapon. The BR is definetly the best weapon in the game, because it is so flexible. No pro ever puts down his BR.