FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Metallica

Knappers
I have every Metallica album and i also have limited edition products.

I have also been around the world just to see them in concert.

Does anyone else have this obsession?
S3nd K3ys
I've got some of their not so popular stuff, but I'm not obsessed like you. Wink

I was somewhat unhappy with St Anger, but after listening to it a couple times, it's actually pretty good. (Especially if you're familiar with their history.)

Great band, definately one of my fav's to see live, next to Oingo Boingo, Godsmack and Rush.
althalus
I used to own all their albums (when they were up to the point of S&M), and I learned to play many (most) of their songs on guitar. Went and saw them back in '98 in Stockholm.. Good times. ^^

Since then I've stopped listening to them pretty much all in all and I've given the albums away. Metallica just ain't Metallica for me anymore.
S3nd K3ys
althalus wrote:
Metallica just ain't Metallica for me anymore.

One great thing about Metallica, they don't care what the world thinks, they are gonna do their thing. And it's usually good imnsho. Wink
Knappers
Quote:
One great thing about Metallica, they don't care what the world thinks, they are gonna do their thing. And it's usually good imnsho. Wink

I totally agree with you on that one. That is definatly a good thing.
Scorpio
Guess I never had a penchant for Heavy Metal..

I can hardly comprehend the lyrics..

But I guess it was meant for that..
schudder
Meant for that? Please! There're plenty of metal songs with very comprehendible lyrics, including lots of Metallica songs. It's not all screamo music, you know.

Anyway, I own all of Metallica's "regular" albums (no limiteds or anything), except for S&M, which I heard once and I thought it was kinda.... well.... not good Razz
I also hear all the critiques that Metallica aren't Metallica anymore, but the fact is that they're just evolving. They're no longer the 20something headbangers they once were, they're 40something fathers, so... It evolves, you know.
Though they're in the studio again, with a gooood producer, so, who knows what their next effort'll be like...
S3nd K3ys
schudder wrote:
except for S&M, which I heard once and I thought it was kinda.... well.... not good Razz ...

I thought S&M was one of the best in recent releases. (I'm pretty diverse when it comes to genure) Seeing it compared to hearing it may have a lot to do with it. (I got chills watching it the first time) It was cool seeing the looks on the faces of some of the brass section: Like they've never felt that kind of energy during a performance before. I think it inspired them considerably.

All in all it was very nicely done IMNSHO. Especially all the old songs they did.
Knappers
I agree with you S3nd K3ys S&M sent chills down my spine the first time i heard it.

I also like the early stuff with the bass God Cliff Burton RIP.

And what about that feeling you get when you enter a live gig??
DeFwh
Knappers wrote:

Thats a pretty big obsession to match. I listen to metallica. And they are gods of rock and metal
Knappers
scorpio wrote:
Guess I never had a penchant for Heavy Metal..

I can hardly comprehend the lyrics..

I can hardly comprehend the lyrics with some bands but i guess i am just tuned into the style of metallica.
Motoracer380
ummm.. no i dont have any obsession with any band/group/artist... but i do like metallica
StabWound
mettalica was very good back in the 80's but i dont know man it seems like there decreasing in talent every day =/ not to say that i hate them because thats DEFANAITLY not true i just like there old stuff better. i more of a slayer fan myself. \m/
Knappers
I also like a bit of slayer.

Also with a lot of these new bands it all seems to be shouting rock - i cant get to grips with the new stuff.
Helios
I have Metallica's full discography Smile
anxiety1
i never really got into metallica

i have the black album - whihc is amazing

and st anger - which is absoultly terrible - one of the worst albums ever from a big band like them

can you recommed some albums?
achene
some of metallicas work is great but st. anger and their first album isnt good in my oppinion. but overall i think its a great band with a lot of cool riffs etc. i hope their new album will be great (and with solos)
crasso
I don't like bands which have official attitude to blame people who share their music between.
Subsonic Sound
I have a couple of albums. Master of Puppets is my favourite. But I can't listen to them too much before they get repetative - like most metal bands. Iron Maiden were always my favourite classic metal band. Smile

That said, I'm going to see them next month, at the Download festival.
anxiety1
crasso wrote:
I don't like bands which have official attitude to blame people who share their music between.

couldn't agree more

they must have put some many people of them by doing all that
Insanity
Yeah, down with the capitalist system!
The_Gamer294
lol im not that obsessed, i do love the music though, that'll suck though when they run out of good sounding riffs and eventually just fade out.. i better get buying cds
jstoeffler
I have all of their older albums right now but I heard the one they are making now is gonna be awesome!
And for all the people that say Metallica sucks, just look at all the metal bands they have influenced. From Pantera to newer bands like Slipknot or whatever you like.
the_mariska
Knappers wrote:

My brother has. Horribly. Good points of it are that he became disciplined in learning English (as he wants to understand their lyrics), started wearing long hair (which fits him more than short), and that he finished with Linkin Park that he had been listening before. Bad points are that he tries to sing and play Metallica songs on my guitar, which does a lot of harm to my ears, nerves and even guitar. (Not mentioning that I'm learning vocals in a music school so hearing any false tone is a horrible pain for me Evil or Very Mad ).

And about the Metallica.. the first two albums are not listenable (maybe that's why my bro likes them most). Master of puppets is OK, I like also the black album, Load and Garage inc., and single songs on other albums. S&M for me is a masterpiece, maybe because for the last time I'm really into symphonic music. and I do love bands that mix symphonic orchestral with guitar riffs. They should do more stuff like that Very Happy
diddle
Metallica is awsome! i love their MUSIC!!!!! I listen to it almost like everyday hahahaha. I'm a true rocker baby!!!
snowboardude
i dont like metallica anymore, because theyre becoming less and less original every day
Blaster
S3nd K3ys wrote:
althalus wrote:
Metallica just ain't Metallica for me anymore.

Yea that is true about Metallica.

Also you should like my mom when you say you own every Matallica cd there is. She is like in love with them. They are an amazing group. I wish i was older and got to go to the one concert they had. I was suppose to go to one with a friend in like 5th grade but my parnents said i was too young. Oh well. I still listen to them. I really wish i would have stayed with the gutair so i coudl play like he does. (i am terible with names) He is just amazing on gutair. Very Happy
tidruG
@Blaster, it's Kirk Hammet on the guitar lead, with James Hetfield on the riffs (generally)

There's so much to say about Metallica.... I originally started out by listening to their popular songs... a friend introduced me to Metallica with "Enter Sandman". When I got the black album, I fell in love with "Wherever I May Roam". After that, I've bought, borrowed and stolen (not really Razz) Metallica and now I have, more or less, the complete discography apart from the limited editions and the live shows (I have S&M though). The one thing I've noticed is that they got a little bit "slower" in alvums after ...And Justice For All. It seemed to be more contemporary Metal than the Trash Metal... case in point The Black Album. However, the (guitar) leads were still awesome even in the Black Album. But the leads in Load and Reload weren't all that fantastic, and they seemed to be migrating more towards Hard Rock than Metal.

Though I enjoyed St.Anger (especially Frantic and The Unnamed Feeling), I was slightly disappointed with the lack of guitar solos.
Dragate
I've heard quite a few of their songs, but I'm not that big of a fan... I consider them semi-classic-rock... and i don't like classic rock that much. This is nothing personal, but I perfer bands that sing... And by the way I did not say they can't sing, it's just... ya... no offence You don't have to listen to this becuase I know there are a lot of metallica fans out there.

Try this: laruku(l'arc en ciel) and Anberline, My Chemical Romance... Now these guys can sing...
BlacKRoSeS
Maybe not an obsession, i've seen them live in my country once, and they were here again yesterday (but i wasn't allowed to go Mad ) i have the first three records on LP, or however you call them, and all the other cd's. I really love their music, some call me obsessed, but iīm not really.
[FEAR]
I have evry single of their albums and I love their music Very Happy I'm gonna try to see them live soon.
Knappers
Metallica

Battery -
Master of Puppets -
The Thing That Should Not Be -
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) -
Disposable Heroes -
Leper Messiah -
Orion [Instrumental] -
Damage, Inc.
Enter Sandman -
Sad but True -
Holier Than Thou -
The Unforgiven -
Wherever I May Roam -
Don't Tread on Me -
Through the Never -
Nothing Else Matters -
Of Wolf and Man -
The God That Failed -
My Friend of Misery -
The Struggle Within
Hit the Lights -
The Four Horsemen -
Motorbreath -
Jump in the Fire -
(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth -
Whiplash -
Phantom Lord -
No Remorse - ow
Seek & Destroy -
Metal Militia -
Fight Fire with Fire -
Ride the Lightning -
For Whom the Bell Tolls -
Fade to Black -
Trapped Under Ice -
Escape -
Creeping Death -
The Call of Ktulu -
Blackened -
...And Justice for All -
Eye of the Beholder -
One -
The Shortest Straw -
Harvester of Sorrow -
The Frayed Ends of Sanity -
To Live Is to Die -
Dyers Eve -

These aye all my fav songs of all time.... I just cant get enough of their music
vexation
I never really liked Metallica...although their pre- Black Album stuff is decent
tidruG
Oops, just found an older Metallica album.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-937.html&highlight=metallica
-close-