FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Someone from Canada ?

condor666
Actually i live in France, but i want to go to live in Canada, especially in Montreal because they speaks french, i think it's a beautiful city and i like their hockey team.
I look for some advices on how to find a job and a home there.
Mumpay
montreal has some of the most affordable living in all of canada (i mean, all of the urban areas of canada. hicksvilles don't count, heh).

not *everyone* in quebec speaks french, and that puts you at a good advantage on getting a job since sooo many require it.

If you're working off a visa (or whatever documentation you need from el'governmentoh) then your best bet would be to get a government or large company job rather than try to get hired by a mom&pop type place. Government jobs are by far the best though. Best pay, best benefits, and best hours.
condor666
Ok, thank you for your tips.
Wink
karysky
Hi,

I'm from Canada, and I've lived in both Montréal and Québec City (still living in Québec City actually).

I have to honestly say that I much prefer Québec than Montréal though. It depends on what you're looking for. Québec is calmer, cleaner, nicer. Montréal is more violent and there are more ethnic groups: arabs, chineese... than in Québec. Montréal has many people who speak many languages, and that's great, because in Québec you usually only encounter English/French people. In a way, Québec is more boring.

So, it really depends on what you're looking for. I thought Montréal was a bit more rock'n roll than Québec. But, the jobs are there!

If you want to see a nice video about Québec City, just click on Vidéo Voyage and Vidéo d'hiver:

http://www.quebecregion.com/f/

Enjoy!
alkady
I'm for montreal and I can tell you that Montreal is a okay city. You can rent a appartment for as little as $350 CDN a month for a 3 and a half. If your looking for a house, You should have came 5 years ago since houses weere once priced at $159,000, Now they cost $250,000 or more and thats for a duplex, A 4 and a half with basement bungalow costed $70,000.00 ect.

If your looking for a job, I dont think you sould have a hard time, But I can't really help you on that.
Canadian Bacon
I live in Ontario, and I must say that you shouldn't limit your choices to just Montreal or even the province of Quebec for that matter. New Brunswick is another province that has major influences en francais. What I am basically saying is that you have lots of options if u want to come to Canada.
jabapyth
i dont live there, but i go there every few years (in the fall) and its Beautiful
karysky
Canadian Bacon wrote:
I live in Ontario, and I must say that you shouldn't limit your choices to just Montreal or even the province of Quebec for that matter. New Brunswick is another province that has major influences en francais. What I am basically saying is that you have lots of options if u want to come to Canada.

That's true.

Ottawa is almost a bilingual city and it's very nice. I love going there once in a while.
*parakiss
hi, im from canada...what ever you do ..dont go to winnipeg, the most boring-ist place there is
Canadian Bacon
Unless you are a bug expert. Then you will be able to study all the Mosquitoes you want till your hearts content. You might even find a cure to west nile. Laugh.
captain
hey im not from canada but from uk just saying hello and nice to meet ya all hehe well chat soonish
djcaution
Hi, I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. Like parakiss said, don't come to Winnipeg. This city blows.
tribe
I'm American and all, but I could never live in Canada for one reason, the weather. Now it gets cold in the usa, but when it gets into the negatives quite a bit all winter long, how could you live there!

Mexico is well scary--Canada is cold...

USA Gotta mix of each...
karysky
tribe wrote:
I'm American and all, but I could never live in Canada for one reason, the weather. Now it gets cold in the usa, but when it gets into the negatives quite a bit all winter long, how could you live there!

Mexico is well scary--Canada is cold...

USA Gotta mix of each...

Well you get used to it and learn winter sports such as skating, skiing... it's not that cold unless you're waiting 45 minutes for a bus... then you start swearing and your legs and fingers feel numb.

But anyway, I'm a canadian through and through and I love this country.

It doesn't mean that I can't enjoy 2 weeks in southern countries in winter though Wink
snowboardude
yea im from toronto, and i've been to montreal, and the one thing i noticed is that its old. like really, all the buildings were built 100 years ago or more, tho its in my opinion, the absolute best place to spend christmas[/i]
eday2010
Just be aware that the French you speak in France is very different than the French they speak in Montreal. It's a good thing you know English too, since Quebecers use a ton of English words in their "French". So you shouldn't have too much trouble understanding them. They might have trouble understanding you since you will be speaking pretty much proper French, and not the bastard version they use in Quebec.
Scott
I'm form Newfoundland, Canada, It's somewhat of a boring place to live permanently, but you might want to visit sometime. We're the closest province to you haha.

I'd like to visit Europe sometime in the future, I went to France, Switzerland and Germany a few years ago and loved it.
karysky
eday2010 wrote:
Just be aware that the French you speak in France is very different than the French they speak in Montreal. It's a good thing you know English too, since Quebecers use a ton of English words in their "French". So you shouldn't have too much trouble understanding them. They might have trouble understanding you since you will be speaking pretty much proper French, and not the bastard version they use in Quebec.

I wouldn't say we speak a bastard version of French, it's just a different French and we don't use that many English words. In fact, I think French people use more English words than ourselves. We have our own expressions, and you'll learn them fast.

We speak the same language, it's just the accent that changes. And yes, you might have some trouble understanding some people who speak very fast, but many of us are careful when we speak to a France native, to prononce everything the international way. I have a French friend and he loves Québec. He's been here for the last 10 years and he never had a problem understanding what people said, unless these people really talked hard, exagerated "Québécois" on purpose.

I'm just not too keen on saying that French people speak the proper way and we speak it the bastard way... it's the same language afterall, with some slight differences, and without that difference, the world would be less colorful.
[FuN]goku
im in canada NS