FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A bird's nest

SusieSmacktard
A bird has nested in my little evergreen tree in my back yard. She's laid four eggs. Not sure what kind of bird she is. I'm a little surprised she made a nest in the little evergreen tree. It's only about 7 feet tall, and the nest is only 5 feet off the ground. I'm worried a predator might get it. How can I discourage predators without chasing off the bird?
thomas!
A bird has nested in my little evergreen tree in my back yard. She's laid four eggs. Not sure what kind of bird she is. I'm a little surprised she made a nest in the little evergreen tree. It's only about 7 feet tall, and the nest is only 5 feet off the ground. I'm worried a predator might get it. How can I discourage predators without chasing off the bird?

Hmm... I'm not sure but maybe the bird wouldn't have nested there if it didn't think it was safe. All animals have their instincts. Maybe the bird knows it is safe.
SusieSmacktard
I hope so. When I saw the nest and the little eggs, I was so excited. I've never seen something like that up close and personal before. I just want them to be ok.
Mr Smith
You could be pretty wrong actually...

I would actually just leave the nest in its place, there is nothing you can do. If the bird feels threatened, it is its own fault basically.
denggi
Reminds me of few years back. Some garden bird made a nest in a plant in my garden too. Then the monsoon rain came with strong winds...the nest couldn't hold and dropped down. A friend and I made a makeshift one by putting the broken nest in a small pot. Two birds managed to grow up...haha...it was nice to see them learn how to fly. Once they left it was kind of sad thinking about it.
ocalhoun
For your own safty, you might consider staying away from the nest. There is a mocking bird nest in my lime tree, and they are preventing me from picking the fruit.
SusieSmacktard
I've just been briefly observing the nest for a minute or two each day. A few days ago, the eggs hatched. Now there are four little baby birds! I hope they make it. It would be so neat to watch them grow up:)
osbits
Hope you can take care of him....
Mr Smith
If any cats attempt to attack the birds nest, shoot the cat, skin it, and hang it on a rusty nail (hang it by the ear, its eyes pop open more)...

IM KIDDING!

I'll be done for animal cruelty now... ****

Maybe set up some netting around the tree?
sugarbox
I hope there will be no bird flu