FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guy cures asthma and allergies by getting infested hookworm

noexes89
How to cure your asthma or hayfever using hookworm - a practical guide // Kuro5hin

Quote:
This is my personal account of curing my asthma and hayfever by deliberately infesting myself with the intestinal parasite hookworm.

It isn't for the faint hearted and for some should not be read while eating.

It involves a great deal of research, a trip to Cameroon and a lot of barefoot walking in open air latrines in west Africa.

If you have asthma, or know someone who has asthma (or for that matter Crohn's disease, IBD or colitis) and are suffering badly you owe it to yourself to consider this approach. Because although it sounds strange and is repellant it is founded on sound science and it has one other virtue.

It worked.

Someone in the comments accuses this guy of being a quack (and gets a rather profane response). I don't think he is (the article has no solicitations in it), but I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be.
Vrythramax
that was a strange article to say the least. I am not sure if I would go to the lengths this guy did to cure something that is easily treatable with medication, but whatever works for him I guess. This entire approach is rather strange, aside from the readily apparent strangeness of it, as why would someone infect themselves with another [potentially] harmful thing to treat something that is annoying but not usually fatal? People do indeed die from asthma attacks on very rare occasions, but I have never heard of anyone dying from hayfever.
noexes89
Vrythramax wrote:
Why would someone infect themselves with another [potentially] harmful thing to treat something that is annoying but not usually fatal?

That's what I thought at first, but the allergies he went through are a little more than just annoying.

Quote:
I have had severe allergies all of my life. As a child I had hay fever so bad that my eyes would swell shut and mucus would stream from my nose. I would lie in a darkened room with a cold damp flannel over my face to quell the itching, almost inebriate from antihistamines. Spring was pure misery.

As my asthma got worse I became increasingly reliant on inhalers, pills and antihistamines as well as upon the oral steroid prednisone to stay out of hospital. I tried all the drugs and therapies available. As it was by the time I was in my late 30s I was a frequent visitor to the emergency room. As anyone who has experienced a severe asthma attack can tell you they are terrifying.

In the end it seems the hookworm infection was almost as bad.

Quote:
Five days after my first day [trying to get hookworm] I woke up at about 2 am coughing. For the next 2 hours or so I coughed, peaking in frequency and intensity about half an hour after I woke up. It built in intensity to the point that I vomited. It was a cough unlike any I have had. It was persistent and entirely unproductive (zero phlegm), and violent.

But this bad was just a part taking control of a problem. I bet part of what bothered him about his uncontrolled asthma was that he could do nothing about it. But his suffering now probably felt more justified, he was doing something.

Just thought I'd say that.
CrimsonStrange
Well, if you're miserable enough, you'll try just about anything.
When you get to the point where you're not living anymore, just surviving, things that once seemed totally ridiculous & insane suddenly seem like viable options.
I personally think that desperation to relieve suffering is the main cause of most prescribed/OTC drug overdoses, rather than addiction or accident.
OtakuBoi
I did a report on this (current event) for science class a few months ago... Interesting, but I'd never have a large, living worm inside me just to get rid of a stuffy nose and a little sneeze Confused
fribee
I think, this is revolutionary! You just have to google about it,
and you will find out:

There has been considerable debate over the last 30 years about the interaction between asthma and parasitic infection. It has been suggested that at least part of the reason for the increasing prevalence of asthma in the developed world is a decrease in parasite infections resulting from improved living conditions with economic development. Our previous studies in Ethiopia suggest that hookworm infection may be particularly important in this process.

To establish definitively whether parasites can protect against allergic disease, and specifically asthma, ultimately requires a randomised clinical trial of parasite infection in patients with asthma. We have completed a study in normal volunteers to establish the dose of hookworms necessary to generate infection at the level shown to be protective in population surveys, and shown that infection is well tolerated. We now propose two randomised placebo-controlled double blind clinical trials. The first will test the effectiveness of hookworm infection in reducing symptoms in allergic patients with rhinitis, and will also serve to allow us to check the likely safety of hookworm infection in asthma. Assuming that the results of this study are favourable, we will then carry out a trial of hookworm infection in asthma. We will also take the opportunity during both of these studies to investigate the cellular mechanisms of the effect of hookworm infection on the immune system.

Study Type: Interventional
Study Design: Treatment, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Control, Parallel Assignment, Safety/Efficacy Study

Official Title: Randomised Controlled Clinical Trial of the Effect of Therapeutic Hookworm Infection in Allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis
Further study details as provided by University of Nottingham:
Primary Outcomes: Maximum change from baseline in airway responsiveness to adenosine 5-monophosphate during the lung migration phase of hookworm infection.
Secondary Outcomes: Change from baseline in rhinoconjunctivitis quality of life questionnaire score; allergen skin wheal response; mean daily peak flow; total- and specific serum IgE titres; acidic mammalian chitinase, cytokine profiles, other inflammatory markers; occurrence of adverse effects
Expected Total Enrollment: 30

Study start: September 2005; Expected completion: July 2007
Last follow-up: October 2006; Data entry closure: January 2007

Epidemiological evidence suggests that human hookworm infection is associated with a reduced risk of asthma and allergic disease. This association is potentially important not only to understanding the aetiology of asthma and allergic disease, but also because it suggests that hookworms or their products might be therapeutically effective in these conditions. To test the hypothesis that hookworms protect against asthma ultimately requires a clinical trial.

We have carried out a dose-ranging study to establish the dose of hookworm larvae necessary to generate infection at the intensity shown to be protective in epidemiological studies, with acceptable side effects, and now propose to test the effect of 12 weeks of hookworm infection at this level of intensity in two randomised placebo controlled clinical trials. The first will be in patients with allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, to determine whether hookworm infection improves rhinitis symptoms and also, because these patients will have measurable airway responsiveness, to determine whether airway responsiveness changes during the lung migration phase of the hookworm lifecycle. If this study confirms that hookworm infection does not increase airway responsiveness, we will proceed to a similar trial in patients with asthma.

In both studies we will also measure a range of relevant immunological parameters to explore the relation between these parameters and expression of the allergic and asthmatic phenotypes.

I hope the doctors will use it on a large scale for the sake of the
suffering.....

Fribee