FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

question about hard disk

lavender
Hi~ My hard disk doesn't work so I need to buy a new one. Anybody can tell my if a hard disks can install on any PC??
foggy
There are 2 common types of drives that consumer level PCs have. IDE and SATA. Just figure out which one of those you have (it should say on your old drive) and you're home free. Cool
Helios
SATA is faster..

anyway, this might help:
http://www.en1heure.com/en/disque_dur.php
WickedGravity
SATA is faster but still unsupported (for reasons that still befuddle me) by some software companies so you may have some issues with certain programs, the list is getting smaller by the day however.
darkelven
If you have a pc the most probably is that you need a hard disk for an IDE bus. These are the most comon hard disks.
Now. you need to know how many is the capacibility of disk hard that you motherboard supports.
The motherboard is the board where you put all the pieces of your pc: memory hard disk processor etc.

How can you get it? See the model of you motherboard and search in internet for the specificatiosn if you don't have the manual.

Be careful 'cause if your motherboard is too old the hard disks with high storage could be not possible to get installed on it.

Good luck!!!! Smile
Helios
And remember this rule,

google is your friend
BrettL
Most computers use IDE, i would recommend you get a 120GB IDE, as most IDE COntrollers only hold up to 137Gb
Oscar
Hi since some of us have HD problems time to time I benefit from my CG colleagues and use two discs.One for Operation system and the other for data.So in case I have to take and show my 100GB stuff I just simply unplugge my IDE HD and voilla. Cheers
Deji
yeah its alwys a good idea to have two partitions
i have

C: windows and other software (even if stuff does wrong i can reinstall)

D: files where even if i reinstall windows the data will be fine ^^
poggendroff
hey extending the partitions thing further,, i hav the foll partitions

c: win98 20gb
d: winxp 14gb
rest 5 gb is for RH Linux :lol:

in cases where 98 is bad,,i use xp to correct it,,same goes with xp.

in case microsoft shuts down,,i wuld always hav linux :twisted:

and yes SAAATAAA is the BEST. buy without doubt.
Keshav
Thank you..for the information on HDDs, This helped me too...
headlong
You need to check whether the interface is compatible between the two computers.