FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP boots in the Save Mode only!

DimaSafr
Hi Guays.
My Windows wood not boot ether then in the Save Mode.
What happens is: I get start up screan with XP logo and running progressbar, but then the screan just goes black and I can do nothing!
I can boot it in the save mode, but without support for the networking. I reinstalled my windows couple times (used different XP CDs), but sooner o later get this problem! Only Norton Go-Back helps.
The only suspicion is that it has somethin g to do with network drivers.
As I had troubles installing my wireless router, and had to manually install drivers without installing any other components.
Any Ideas.
Much appriciate.
orno
possibly driver related...why dont u check online for updated drivers? your wireless routers manufacturer should have details online...

also, are u running a completely updated version of windows? XP SP2 w/ all latest updates?
MonkeyWrench
try entering bios and checking the options there, its usually something small like that, but i dont know exactly what Razz
longjack
In safe mode:

Click Start / Run

Type

msconfig

in the dialog box.

First, check off selective startup.

Go to the Startup tab and uncheck all the items, or those items that don't seem to be a standard windows program.

Restart and see if it boots normally.

If it does, start msconfig and recheck startup items one at a time and reboot until you find the startup item that is causing the problem.

HTH
ben.lastname
DimaSafr,

If this issues is presisting you should try using some kind of alternative safe mode. Either use "enable boot logging" or "Debugging mode" and see where the puppy hangs. That might be easier to troubleshoot then "it goes black" or any issue that doesn't have an error message.
DimaSafr
Thanks a lot, but how do I Boot in a Debuging Mode??
Bones
It is almost certainly driver related because XP is initializing the hardware at the splash screen, and also will only load a default driver set in safe mode. You say the same thing happens when trying to boot to safe mode w/networking? Then that's a good indication that it's a NIC driver (or hardware)
If the problem comes back, chances are you have a flakey NIC or the manufacturer uses crap drivers (kinda like HP's ancient 16 bt drivers that they still use)