FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Damn Small Linux!

Ruroniarc
Hi, to start off, I'm new to the forum.

I'm trying to install DSL (Damn Small Linux) on a Pentium MMX 166MHz 16MB RAM computer, but when I get half way through some of those screens, something that worries me is a line that says something to the effect of "Can't find /*" where /* represents some sort of name after a slash, even though before that is says coping those files to HDD. I have no partition on the drive. I think my problem is it not having a partition, and I downloaded RIPLinuX which is a boot-up partitioner and other things, and I can't seem to get that to load either. I don't think there are any HDD or Hardware problems. After the screen says it didn't load those files it just has a blank black-and-white dotted screen. If you could help me out here, that would be great. Also, if you know of any other boot-up partition managers that can partition for Linux, that would be awesome. 'Cause I can't seem to find a good one. I won't be around for the next 2-3 hours, have to drive somewhere, and then I'll be back online. Thanks for your help.

Erik.
ocalhoun
I use the ultimate boot cd (UltimateBootCD.com) to do all such things.
It has all manner of partition editing tools and uses very few system resources I think it would work for you. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can download an image of it for free.
Xeniczone
You may want to change your post language isn't allowed on these forums. Very Happy Well at least change it to dang or something before a moderator shows up.
exarkun
According to what I have known, DSL doesn't need to be install. It can run automatically from CD, thumbdrive and etc. So I won't even install it. If I chose a linux, it would be redhat. I just love it Wink
ocalhoun
exarkun wrote:
According to what I have known, DSL doesn't need to be install. It can run automatically from CD, thumbdrive and etc. So I won't even install it. If I chose a linux, it would be redhat. I just love it Wink

I suppose you did not notice the specs of his computer. There's no way he could run redhat.
anurag_bhd
I didn't like this distro of Linux. DSL is only a piece of crap which is devoid of many major features including the multimedia capabilities. And it doesn't support many computer architectures.
I ran it on my pc with the moderate resolution settings and what I got was only a messed up desktop. It's only positive point, as I felt, was the button present on the desktop all the time to help you mount the hard disk(s).