FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I need some feedback!

alalex
I am working on this project, I need some feedback about its design...
Please note that it is not finished, it is just a test...

http://webot.frih.net/CER_test/index.php

There is an error in the search in catalog page, you can discuss that (and help me hopefully) on this thread:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-36689.html
Thanks!!
Traveller
Looks very nice.

In the "Our Goals" page, change "conferenceses" to "conferences" (misspelling).

In the "Our Programs" page, the "mailto:" tags for the email addresses are different from the addresses shown, and the link for the second one ends before the "@" of the displayed address. You may also wish to put any such email addreses in ".js" files to be included in the pages, but kept in a separate "include" directory disallowed by your robots.txt file. By doing this, you can avoid a bunch of spam from some of the bots that search web pages for email addresses.

The "About Us" and "Request a Workshop" pages were not found (404).

The error from the "Search in Catalog" page mentions an "unexpected {" (curly brace). This is a simple syntax error meaning that something is out of place - even, possibly, a forgotten semicolon on the previous line. Without seeing the actual context of the code around (maybe 10 lines before and after) the specified line (596), it would be difficult to say much more.
alalex
Wow, Surprised thanks a lot!!
Can you explain me again but in a more easy way what you said about the robots and the emails? I didn't quite understand it... Confused

I know I have that error, I posted a thread in php asking why that happened, it is called using an OR in a check for form elements...

Thanks!!
Traveller
alalex wrote:
Wow, Surprised thanks a lot!!
Can you explain me again but in a more easy way what you said about the robots and the emails? I didn't quite understand it... Confused

No problem. I didn't give the details right away since I didn't know your degree of familiarity.

First of all, under your public_html directory, create a subdirectory called "include" (if you haven't done so already) to hold this type of thing.

Next, put a file called "robots.txt" into your public_html directory (not in the include directory), and have it say at least the following:
Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /include/

That will tell the robots that crawl the web not to read anything in your include directory. You can duplicate the "Disallow" line and change it for any other subdirectories you wish to omit from the crawls (e.g. cgi-bin).

Next, create a file called "email.js" (or whatever you wish to call it), and set it up as follow:
Code:
a="ualvarez";
b="doe";
c="mass";
d="edu";
e="Urbano Alvarez";
document.write('<a href=\"mailto:'+a+'@'+b+'.'+c+'.'+d+'\">');
document.write(e+'<\/a>');

Finally, at the point on your page where you wish the email link to appear, put:

Code:
<SCRIPT language="javascript" SRC="include/email.js"></SCRIPT>

alalex wrote:
I know I have that error, I posted a thread in php asking why that happened, it is called using an OR in a check for form elements...

I'll take a look there.
SamiTheBerber
Hi!
There is some coding errors in page, you can check them in W3C Validator. I think some of problems I faced will be fixed, when you fix errors which make your pages invalid. There is too much space in navigation.

I will contact you again when you fix those.