FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New design of the home page

Bondings
Hi all,
The new design of our home page is now up. The faq is now much easier to navigate. I hope you all like the new design. I will now try to concentrate on these forums and clean them up a bit. Wink
Please give your opinion about it. Feedback is really appreciated. Don't be shy to report a spelling mistake or to suggest to change the text color of a certain element.
Bondings
foggy
Great design, I like it a lot. It looks very simple, easy to navagate, easy to understand, and easy on the eyes

Since you asked for spelling mistakes.

Home page...
Unlimited POP3 Email accounts and forwarders for your correspondence.

FAQ:
...is allowed per person/ip address
...more than enough bandwidth
Maka
Looks great man, I love it, good work Very Happy .
Bondings
Thank you. Very Happy I'm glad you like it.

And foggy, thanks for those mistakes. I already corrected them. Wink
thame
I think it looks great, however, in FF WinXP, there is no room between the background image and the content (Ads, etc.) Maybe you could put some padding (2px) on the left?

Also, I'm a big fan of user interactivity, so maybe you could make the links at least have an underline or color change on hover...it's pretty simple and gives the user better feedback than a simple cursor change.

ex)

a:hover {
text-decoration:underline;
color:#whaterver
}
Bondings
thame wrote:
I think it looks great, however, in FF WinXP, there is no room between the background image and the content (Ads, etc.) Maybe you could put some padding (2px) on the left?

Also, I'm a big fan of user interactivity, so maybe you could make the links at least have an underline or color change on hover...it's pretty simple and gives the user better feedback than a simple cursor change.

ex)

a:hover {
text-decoration:underline;
color:#whaterver
}

I use the same combination (ff and winxp) and the padding looks fine for me.

And about the links. I disabled the underline, but I didn't think of the hover. That's a good idea. Wink
Boles Roor
Quite nice Smile I do however think that the logo/banner could be a little touched up. But, that's just personal preference.
nilsmo
I think I have the same problem as thame with the FAQ.
Look at a screenshot:
Firefox 1.0.3 and XP Wink
Maka
Well it's fine in my firefox 1.0.4:

And in IE:

foggy
Yay! We can have a picture compatability party...

Working in safari v2

And opera8
Scott
Awesome, the new design looks better, simpler and is easier to navigate.
snowboardalliance
Nice work, it looks a lot better.
Helios
Looks better than the old one..

hmm try to bullet those blocks to the backround, just to match to the logo..

ask for the original photoshop files from the dude who made the logo and make the blocks like the logo..
also make a whole new block for the logo itself.
mathiaus
WOW Shocked
The only good Layouts I have seen before used by a hosting companyare flash based and brought of one site so all look the seame. Frihost however has a unique and individual look which looks super duper! Very Happy
(and my sites on the home page, yipee Smile )
Bondings
nilsmo wrote:
I think I have the same problem as thame with the FAQ.
Look at a screenshot:
Firefox 1.0.3 and XP Wink

This problem is probably due to the caching of the css file. Your browser probably didn't use the new css file. I had the same thing, but after clearing my cookies and refreshing the page it stopped.
n0obie4life
its not fine in my firefox 1.0.4 on a 800x600.

its just like nilsmo's case.

i refreshed several times.
Maka
n0obie4life wrote:

800 x 600? lol people still use that?. Shocked
Bondings
n0obie4life wrote:

And did you clear your cache? Because this definately looks like a problem with the css file because no background images of the css file are showing. Eventually it will load normally, at least I hope so.
dark_paladin
It's nice but kind of pale. The text doesn't really standout. I think some color management needs to be done...
nilsmo
You were right, Bondings, it was the cache.

If the FAQ does not show, you need to go to Tools, Options..., Privacy, Cache, Clear.
WickedGravity
As I was saying before my cable modem abruptly died......

I think the site has a very fluid look now. It is a nice easy transition from page to the other without any overwhelming graphics or needless images.

I like the theme as a whole and applaud the unifomity of the site as it stands now.

So again, I applaud Bondings and thank him and those who helped him for the superb job they continue to do here at Frihost.
Bondings
dark_paladin wrote:
It's nice but kind of pale. The text doesn't really standout. I think some color management needs to be done...

I was waiting for someone to say this. Wink My own opinion is that more colours should be added. Maybe not the text color, but certainly the background. By the way, do you have any specific suggestions on how to make it look better?
Quote:
As I was saying before my cable modem abruptly died......

I think the site has a very fluid look now. It is a nice easy transition from page to the other without any overwhelming graphics or needless images.

I like the theme as a whole and applaud the unifomity of the site as it stands now.

So again, I applaud Bondings and thank him and those who helped him for the superb job they continue to do here at Frihost.

Wow, WickedGravity, thanks! Very Happy
silentpark
yeah the new layout is very sweet and its campact as before...

and yeah for these who where here before it must be a bit strange with the cache but newcommers haven't got this problem ,) so no need to be 'worried' Surprised

now maybe we should do something to fill the 'directory' subsite... Smile
Bondings
silentpark wrote:
now maybe we should do something to fill the 'directory' subsite... Smile

Hehe, you noticed it.

I first need to make the categories and design. Then I have to figure out a simple way to apply to be in that category. Anyway, don't expect this in the near future as I have other priorities at the moment. But maybe in a few weeks.
noliver
Maka wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

Uhm yes, in countries not as developed as yours people also still use 14 inch monitors - and try viewing the small fonts on a 14 inch - and its a pain in the butt - thats why most people with "small" monitors use 800x600.

In my country the price of a new 17 inch monitor is almost three months salary for most people - and then its a CRT - not a flat panel LCD.

This is not because the monitor is expensive ( judged to american/uk prices ) but its because people just earn far less.

Cheers,
Nick.
meangurl
absolutely awesome... i was entirely shocked when i opened the site today (sorry of my absence btw, i've been very busy with school lately).

1. i love the way you organize the faq
2. seems like the TOS is a little bit organized too
3. the new design's totally cool... simplier and absolutely better than the old one

although it would be better to change the color and properties of the links to something that will fit the theme... the underlined blue link looks kinda out of place. but good job anyway!
mOrpheuS
noliver wrote:
Maka wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

Uhm yes, in countries not as developed as yours people also still use 14 inch monitors - and try viewing the small fonts on a 14 inch - and its a pain in the butt - thats why most people with "small" monitors use 800x600.

In my country the price of a new 17 inch monitor is almost three months salary for most people - and then its a CRT - not a flat panel LCD.

This is not because the monitor is expensive ( judged to american/uk prices ) but its because people just earn far less.

Cheers,
Nick.

lol...yeah...I had a secondhand pentium (non-mmx) 166 mhz with 32 mb ram and 2 gb hard drive and a cpu fan that needed a boost to start up, with a 14" black&white crt, until just 2 years back.
it had a max resolution of 640x480, by the way.
(did I mention a SiS 6215c pci-vga card ? 1 mb of video memory !!! but with extreme tweaking, it could manage to run quake2 at lower graphics details)
I learnt programming on a 386, mind you. Embarassed

and most people here still DO run 800x600 or lower on their 15" and smaller monitors.
The 1024x768 mode is available on small monitors, but it's not really practical as the refresh rates max out at 60 hz and the fonts get too small to be read without a magnifying glass.
and LCD's are a luxury that probably one in thousands is entitled to.
Sad
frozenhead
Cool design.. I like it than the previous one.. simple and well organized!.. but with few glitch on the right side of the pane as some of our guys here mentioned it already.. Anyways, GOOD WORK!.. Very Happy

We willl be always here for support! Wink
dark_paladin
Bondings wrote:
dark_paladin wrote:

I was waiting for someone to say this. Wink My own opinion is that more colours should be added. Maybe not the text color, but certainly the background. By the way, do you have any specific suggestions on how to make it look better?

lol...I really suck at art so don't ask me...but the text and the background in the homepage are having almost the same color so it is kind of hard to read. I think it would be wise to change the background color in the homepage or maybe even leave the background white like in the TOS and FAQ. Also, you should format the texts with links a little bit differently. Anyway, you have more experiences than I do so do what you think is best!
snowboardalliance
dark_paladin wrote:
Bondings wrote:
dark_paladin wrote:

lol...I really suck at art so don't ask me...but the text and the background in the homepage are having almost the same color so it is kind of hard to read. I think it would be wise to change the background color in the homepage or maybe even leave the background white like in the TOS and FAQ. Also, you should format the texts with links a little bit differently. Anyway, you have more experiences than I do so do what you think is best!

Maybe make the background a darker blue and the text white... I don't know though, just seems like it would look good.
redcodx
Very beatiful web site!!! Good luck my friends!
GiLaD
Really nice design, but the logo is very squareish relatively to the rest.
sibbahz
i think the new design is excellant, looks so much more professional than it did when i first came to frihost just a few months back
bombr3s
New design is much better old
thame
GiLaD wrote:
Really nice design, but the logo is very squareish relatively to the rest.

In any case, this design is a vast improvement over the previous and gives credit to a host that clearly deserves it.

Have you thought of including testimonials? You could make a new thread and I would be happy to give recognition to your great hosting.

Also, you may want to rethink the typography in the logo. It gives the site an aged '70s look t at seems out of place and is improper for a hosting company
kingy
very nice .i belive this site will be better.
Usy
to be honest this is the best free hosting iv seen in my life..cnt wait to try it out..thanks guyz!!
rollespil
I like the design but the logo "FriHost, ReDesigning free web hosting", could use a little "pepping up".
simplyw00x
Stupid question, maybe, but what is the point of the grey sidebars is there's nothng in them? They look a bit stupid blank (the left on on 'Home' and the right on 'FAQ')
Bondings
simplyw00x wrote:
Stupid question, maybe, but what is the point of the grey sidebars is there's nothng in them? They look a bit stupid blank (the left on on 'Home' and the right on 'FAQ')

There is supposed to be an adsense banner inside them. I have no idea why they don't show up for you.
simplyw00x
Ok, having disabled AdBlock I see that now. Follwing on from that, you may want to shift it right within the column a little to push it into the centre.
Also, please ditch the tables and the DIV-mania. They make my browser bleed.
mathiaus
TOS wrote:
The use of regular banner blockers (not pop-up blockers) is forbidden while 'being active' on our forums. Simply deactivate them while browsing our website.

Naught naughty Wink

How mutch time do you actually spend though on the frihost website? I'dve thought very little so i cant really see what your problem is that mutch Rolling Eyes
simplyw00x
Quote:
The use of regular banner blockers (not pop-up blockers) is forbidden while 'being active' on our forums. Simply deactivate them while browsing our website

Hey, I never said I was using it on the forums. Also, I'm giving constructive criticism to help Bondings get more signups, and good design practice is part of that.
mathiaus
Note the wink!

rollespil wrote:
I like the design but the logo "FriHost, ReDesigning free web hosting", could use a little "pepping up".

What do you mean pepping up? I like it and so do the majority of people (hence how it wont he vote to be the logo!)
DotCom
I was impressed when I fiorst saw it. Smile NICE place you have
dark_paladin
I found a error in the "News" page:

Quote:
New design (29 july 2005)

Frihost is proud to get rid of its poor-looking old design. We will keep this new design for a decent period of time, but we will gradually make some improvements.

How can it possibly be July? Shouldn't it be (29 June 2005)?
JustChilL
kooooool design I am liking it
pacslim
Looks much better, keep it up like that and You'll also being the best designed website besides the best free hosting host ! Cool Wink
Gamer4u
It looks cool, and goes with your logo Smile
anjodamorte
Very good the project. I liked very!
csbarracks
nice design. i find my way in it very fast.
csbarracks
i love the navbar on top 2. makes it match more easy to find your way fast to the site.
budazz
i want to have a link with frihost...do we have a banner...so i can use it...: )
Refrag
Site looks good looked at a few other sites and this one looks ok
Bockman
budazz wrote:
i want to have a link with frihost...do we have a banner...so i can use it...: )

You can propose one. i see you were active in other photoshop threads.
Give us a shot at what you want in your site Wink

Be Well Cool
Toshi
It looks kind icky on safari, but it's not that bad. It looks better on explorer...
ldnet
the design is awsome very easy to read and clean nice job.
ekstroom
eah the new layout is very sweet and its campact as before...

and yeah for these who where here before it must be a bit strange with the cache but newcommers haven't got this problem ,) so no need to be 'worried' Surprised
Bondings
The "new" layout is already over 2 months old.
-locked-