FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need help adding .net domain

wumingsden
OK, as most of you know I know hardly anything about servers which also extends to domains.
Anyways, I brought a .net domain and I want to add it to my DA. I spoke to Bondings yesterday and he said something about Domain Pointers Confused

I want to use this domain as my main domain, but I would also like my site to be still accessable to my .frih.net domain where possible. I however do not want to have to sets of files. If needed I can move the files to the .net domain although this would mean editing all of my databases Sad but I don't know how to add one correctly in the first place and I don't want to go wrong because I read somewhere that I could take up to 72hours to fix the error

I have look at the tutorials thread which didn't help me. Could someone give a link to a step-by-step set of instructions on how to add a new domain ? I also have no idea of what to do on the domain registers side so any help on that would also be greatly appreciate,

sorry but I have to admit that I'm such a n00b at this Embarassed
billybob
wumingsden wrote:
OK, as most of you know I know hardly anything about servers which also extends to domains.
Anyways, I brought a .net domain and I want to add it to my DA. I spoke to Bondings yesterday and he said something about Domain Pointers Confused

I want to use this domain as my main domain, but I would also like my site to be still accessable to my .frih.net domain where possible. I however do not want to have to sets of files. If needed I can move the files to the .net domain although this would mean editing all of my databases Sad but I don't know how to add one correctly in the first place and I don't want to go wrong because I read somewhere that I could take up to 72hours to fix the error

I have look at the tutorials thread which didn't help me. Could someone give a link to a step-by-step set of instructions on how to add a new domain ? I also have no idea of what to do on the domain registers side so any help on that would also be greatly appreciate,

sorry but I have to admit that I'm such a n00b at this Embarassed

Right first of all go to your domain registrar (where you purchased your domain) and edit the name servers. Set the primary name server to ns1.frihost.net and the secondary name server to ns2.frihost.net.

Now go to your cpanel and go to "Parked Domains", now type in your new domain. *note that it may not allow you to add that domain until your name servers have had time to register the change, but even if it does allow you to add the domain, it still may take up to 48 hours to show your site at the new domain.

This will not effect where your files are etc as when you park a domain, It shows the files that are directly under "Public_html". If you wanted the domain to go to a site that is saved within a subfolder (below Publich_html) You would have add a domain rather than park it (this does not mean that the parked domain cannot show files within subfolder its just where the domain initially shows the first page)

Hope that made sense and that I can actually help you out for a change Laughing

*EDIT - Are the name servers diffrent for each server? as wumingsden has noticed that they are not the same has his (in the account page) if thats right *note to bondings the FAQ needs updating (just the name server section)
NjRocket
so basically, i got my free hosting service and my domain is .frih.net......Now say i went and bought a .com domain name. What would be the steps for making my site recognzied as blahblah.com instead of blahblah.frih.net? Thanks
billybob
NjRocket wrote:
so basically, i got my free hosting service and my domain is .frih.net......Now say i went and bought a .com domain name. What would be the steps for making my site recognzied as blahblah.com instead of blahblah.frih.net? Thanks

well the same as what i said above it doesnt change on what domain you have ie .com/.net/.co.uk etc but you will have direct admin seen as your a new users (so does wumingsden wich i didnt relise) but it will be basically the same but there are diffrent names for things on direct admin Confused

*needs someone to clarifie what does what in direct admin "Parked Domains" and "add a new domain" *
Scorpio
I dont think you need to edit your databases when you change the domain/

If all your links are relative (like /images/xyz) and not absolute(www.xyz.com/images) even the links need not be changed

Your databases remain the same in both the domains.

Just add a new domain instead of parking it.

Go to Domain setup and add the new domain you purchased.

Also, point the nameservers to

1. ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net if you are on server 1 and your site is something like xyz.frihost.net

(or)

1. ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net if you are on server2 and your site is something like xyz.frih.net
NjRocket
alright, it seems pretty simple i guess. Once i buy the domain name, i'll guess i'll have some more questions. Thanks
wumingsden
scorpio wrote:
I dont think you need to edit your databases when you change the domain/

If all your links are relative (like /images/xyz) and not absolute(www.xyz.com/images) even the links need not be changed

Your databases remain the same in both the domains.

Just add a new domain instead of parking it.

Go to Domain setup and add the new domain you purchased.

Also, point the nameservers to

1. ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net if you are on server 1 and your site is something like xyz.frihost.net

(or)

1. ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net if you are on server2 and your site is something like xyz.frih.net

All of my links are relative anyways so that doesn't matter.

About the databases. Surely this would matter, I mean everything thats been installed points itself to www.mysite.frih.net/*some_folder_or_other* so surely this would need to be changed. Anyways, I'll try and "Add new domain" and see whether that works. I guess then I have to move all files to that domain and see whether any errors occur
n0obie4life
There's the domain pointers option in Directadmin.
wumingsden
Sorry, I forgot to update the post. I added the new domain instead, don't know whether that was the right thing to do but it worked.

Is there a way of using my .frih.net domain like the .net domain. Currently the 2 domains are in my DA, however, my site files are only under my .net domain. Is there a way to use the .frih.net domain for my .net domain ? So is it possible to to go my forums at www.*mysite*.net/forum as well as www.*mysite*.frih.net/forum without having two lots of files ?
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
Is there a way of using my .frih.net domain like the .net domain. Currently the 2 domains are in my DA, however, my site files are only under my .net domain. Is there a way to use the .frih.net domain for my .net domain ? So is it possible to to go my forums at www.*mysite*.net/forum as well as www.*mysite*.frih.net/forum without having two lots of files ?

Can you not setup an automatic redirect via Direct Admin? I've done that for my main page (so my frih.net domain automatically forwards a user to my purchased domain name).
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Can you not setup an automatic redirect via Direct Admin? I've done that for my main page (so my frih.net domain automatically forwards a user to my purchased domain name).

I could. I just wondered whether it was possible to go to www.*.frih.net/forum instead. It doesn't matter i guess, i'll just redirect.

Thanks for everyone thats help me in this thread, I think I've learnt all I need to know about domain names so thank you all very much. -locked-