FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Defender ??!!

varun_dodla
I was just updating my Microsoft Antispyware yesterday when it said newer version available....and woooo when i installed the so called newer version I see nomore Antispyware but a new thing called Windows Defender

Has anyone had the same experience??
Is this Defender thing another step by Microsoft into building antivirus in the future or is it just the Antispyware in a new costume. It is definitely faster than the Antispyware but I don't see tools like Browser Hijack , Tracks Eraser etc.

Antispyware was better though it lacked speed I guess!!
golles
We had to install it on or school computers, but I haven't done anything with it yet.
{name here}
It'd probably not going to be that great in the long run...
TheGeek
wow....you just found this?

I have had that running as part of my WindowsLive One Care beta test for atleast the last....6 months if not slightly less.

Windows Defender is the new name of windows Anti-Spyware. It is now an official program so they had to give it some fancy sounding name to make it marketable. Its the same thing but it has a slightly different user interface and it is a little more user friendly in my opinion. And since the WindowsLive One Care beta requires me to run that with no other scanning software or it gets mad since it wants to be the only thing running on my machine, i have only been using that for quite some time and i havent had any problems, it scans automatically about every 4-5 days and it hasnt found anything yet and i havent had any problems and even after checking it with Node32 i havent found anything, so it must be working.
manumiglani
Well,

Windows Defender is the new name for Microsoft's Antispyware. Its really cool and effective. After all, who knows viruses and spywares better than Microsoft.
izcool
If no-one knew this before, Microsoft AntiSpyware was owned by a company named GIANT, it was purchased by Microsoft and edited a little. I'm guessing in order to comply with copyright laws, they changed the name completely when it was getting out of Beta stages.

See this :

http://article.pchome.net/2004/12/23/ms_antispyware_preview_02.jpg

Notice the name ?

- Mike.
manumiglani
izcool wrote:
If no-one knew this before, Microsoft AntiSpyware was owned by a company named GIANT, it was purchased by Microsoft and edited a little. I'm guessing in order to comply with copyright laws, they changed the name completely when it was getting out of Beta stages.

See this :

http://article.pchome.net/2004/12/23/ms_antispyware_preview_02.jpg

Notice the name ?

- Mike.

Ah! Didn't knew that.

Well the worth of any product will increase if it is with Microsoft label.