FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why PHP

novisdesign
Hello,
I am a fairly new web designer (less than a year) and I only know javascript for scripting. Why would I use PHP or any other server based scripting rather than user based? What can be the benifits?

Thanks
Daniel15
Basically, PHP is server-side, whereas Javascript is client-based. PHP is good for making dynamic websites. As the code is run on the server, the end user doesn't see any of the backend code (which is what happens with Javascript). Also, server-side code doesn't depend on any settings on the client, which means that it will work no matter what browser the user is using (even browsers that don't support JavaScript)

PHP is usually used with MySQL, for storing information in databases. Forums like this mainly use server-side coding, for things like storing posts in the database, and retrieving posts.
Mgccl
PHP is good because now you can prosses info provided by client and return things back
Maryndor
Imagine all the blogs, forums etc... do you think it can be done with client side javascript? If can would be unsecure and very hard to develope. A simple login form should be in PHP (or other server-side languages). So non-static pages are done with that languages.
novisdesign
Thanks guys,
I might spend a weekend learning it now. Does anybody have a good tutorial for how to use it with mySql?
tony
novisdesign wrote:
Thanks guys,
I might spend a weekend learning it now. Does anybody have a good tutorial for how to use it with mySql?

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com

PHP is very secure, open-source, updated frequently, server-side, relatively easy to learn, not picky like some languages, and compatible with many API's such as the MySQL-PHP API. If you have questions, you are welcome to PM me - I have a lot of experience with PHP and specifically mySQL applications and would love to help.
Dragate
I find... it... is just more easy to use... If you were to make something like this forum you don't want to be making every single page!!! (or do you Shocked ) see... it builds the HTML code for you and you don't have to do like a million pages of work... If you want the most best place is prolly here: (to start) http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp
or just http://www.php.net

As people have said another advatage is serverside scripting hehe who's gonna steal your code now? no one... Cool Hope you start using it,... it can also be combined with HTML and use both at same time Razz So much advatages
novisdesign
Planning on useing PHP and MySQL to do a small forum. Tony, if you want to help me, that would be great.
asteriks
PHP is easy and I think more trustworthy. And you can find extremely cheap hosting firms, this aslo another point for using PHP. But everyone should know html, because it is basic for webmaster, I think.