FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

i love calvin and hobbes.

dshorr
I think Calvin and Hobbes is easily the best comic strip ever. Funny, deep, cute, and awesome all at the same time. Three cheers for Bill Watterson!
exarkun
Me too. Always up to some jokes, they were. And it definitely brings the laughter out of me! Very Happy
ddukki
I used to love Calvin and Hobbes. Then the local library took out their comic section, so the only way to read them was to buy them from the bookstore. I'm broke ... End of story. Brilliant writer though.
Eiken
Calvin and Hobbes is one of the best comics I've ever read. In fact, I should really get out one of my books and read it, they always made me laugh.
rightclickscott
Bleh, everyone tells me it's the greatest, but everytime I try to read one, I just can't laugh at it. I honestly just don't find it funny.
HDirtwater
C & H was the best comic on the funny pages back when there were tons of great comic strips to choose from; The Far Side, Bloom County, Life in Hell, a fresh Fox Trot, and even Garfield was good back then. Now, there are no comic strips save Dilbert that are laugh out loud funny. Calvin and Hobbes was artistically brilliant and quite funny at times (when it wasn't a little preachy).
Dark_Jedi06
My brother owns just about everyone of the books (would you really call them books? I mean, they're really just a collections of comics...erm, whatever >_<). Anyway, I used to borrow them all the time and read them over and over again, I just couldn't get over the greatness of the humor.

I might have to start reading them over again... Wink
Guyon
It is easily the best, most creative comic in the paper. I was so sorry to see it go. But now my kids are old enough to read them so I brought out my books and we are enjoying them together as a family.

Did anyone buy the nice hard back that has all the comics in 1 book? I would have but have the entire set plus the color editions already.

Did anyone else buy the full set of books?
headoncollision
Watterson was brillant for discontinuing Calvin and Hobbes while it was still funny.
shwetanshu
Calvin and Hobbes is still the best funny comic strip i have ever read... then comes Garfield and then a local cartoon THIS IS OUR LIFE
headoncollision
shwetanshu wrote:
Calvin and Hobbes is still the best funny comic strip i have ever read... then comes Garfield and then a local cartoon THIS IS OUR LIFE

Garfield used to be funny, but now the author is just throwing out garbage to try to keep his consistancy.
HDirtwater
headoncollision wrote:
shwetanshu wrote:

Garfield used to be funny, but now the author is just throwing out garbage to try to keep his consistancy.

Jim Davis doesn't even draw or write the strip anymore. He sold his rights to it and has hired artists and writers to produce it for him. It's been this way for about 15 years. He gets to play golf and cash the checks....

If you want an interesting read, you need to read the text that comes with the C and H 10th anniversary book. Bill Watterson takes some backhanded shots at Jim Davis and other lazy cartoonists without actually naming them.
Guyon
i am not sure if Davis sold the rights or not. In many cases the creators are almost forced to give up there rights in order to get published. Watterson was an exception. Some how he negotiated to keep the rights of his comic. Which is why it no longer exists after he stopped.

Giving up your rights is very common in the comic industry, especially in superhero comics. Stan Lee finally won a court battle to get something back for all his great work. I know a guy that does covers for comics, his character that he created will never come to life because he will not give up the rights.

One huge exception is Image. All they do is market and distribute. You pay for everything else, but get to keep your rights.
corycaly
I discovered Calvin and Hobbes this year: it became my favorite books.
Every page makes me laugh to tears, sometimes it's beautiful and full of emotion, sometimes its just absolutely funny.
When I'm sad, I take those books and it heals my heart. It's rare to discover this kind of book: one that is perfect and really brilliant.
Jayfarer
Calvin & Hobbes is probably the last great comic strip. Probably the best since Peanuts.
Ranti84
I've got 3 of the collection books, they're great! ^_^

I'd definately put Calvin and Hobbes up there as one of the best comics. Some of it is slapstick humor, some is a little refined but I'd like to think there is a little something for everyone in it to laugh out loud with.
Dark_Tiger
Jayfarer wrote:
Calvin & Hobbes is probably the last great comic strip. Probably the best since Peanuts.

Calvin & Hobbes was one of the last great risky newspaper strip. Great because it delievered laughs on a regular basis (not every strip, but more than enough) gave itself over from time to time to semi-seroius subjects without losing the funny completly. Risky because it pushed what we thought could or should be in the funnies.

There are a lot of other strips that took those risks and succeded. Very early Peanuts, very late Peanuts (~years 35-45), Bloom County, some say Boondocks, etc.

The question "will there be another comic like this" is a diffrent story. Current theory is that there won't be, since newspaper editors will get fewer complaints from a cat wanting lagansa that a boy commenting on the essintial futility of their social system. Fewer complaints means fewer editiors dropping the comics, means more money, means that the sindicates won't carry the risky ones.
avanta
its gud but garfield is the best wen it comes to cartoon strips...its got fun man...
Handermier
I loved Calvin and Hobbes. It never really appeared in my paper. I ended up getting the series of books from my Aunt for various birthdays or Christmas. I would love reading those. It was funny, bur Calvin was always spewing off about some randomly intelligent sounding stuff.

Man, I got to find those books. Thanks for reminding me.

-Handermier
BHSDKP
Calvin and Hoobes, has constantly made me laugh out loud. I sometimes got in trouble for it Smile . What made it funny too me was that, Calvin randomly sounded smart. WHile Hobbes would sometimes find something too say back. Calvins imagination made it even funnier.
This comic or book of comics,has always made me laugh,even if I already read it over and over