FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

chess

sonam
Hi,
are anybody know some free chess application for download because I would like to play this game offline. If suport levels it will be great. Thanks. Very Happy

Sonam
r_y_e_20
sonam wrote:
Hi,
are anybody know some free chess application for download because I would like to play this game offline. If suport levels it will be great.

i dnt know where to find chess applications that support levels. It there is any, i will not install it either. I want real people to play with me, especially the online game supported by yahoo.. there you can play along with real people, and it supports levelling. Basically if you will play with computers it will just make you crazy coz their moves are programmed already, and theres no excitement at all.
exarkun
Yup, I agree with r_y_e_20. It is definitely more fun to play with another people across the net, and I always played it through MSN messenger with my friends. However, if you are a newbie to it, i suggest you try playing with AI first.
OsloVest
r_y_e_20 wrote:
sonam wrote:
Hi,
are anybody know some free chess application for download because I would like to play this game offline. If suport levels it will be great.

i dnt know where to find chess applications that support levels. It there is any, i will not install it either. I want real people to play with me, especially the online game supported by yahoo.. there you can play along with real people, and it supports levelling. Basically if you will play with computers it will just make you crazy coz their moves are programmed already, and theres no excitement at all.

Search for a chess engine called crafty.

Or you can play as a guest on ICC.
Josso
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=Chess&tag=srch

Personally I'd only trust downloads from download.com or MSN, anything that requires a plugin I'm always slightly wary about. I'd prefer to play against levelled AI until I got better unless there was some kind of extreme newbie network Laughing.
ruelle4143
Playing chess in Yahooligans is also okay, since you play w/ real people, not AI.
yantrapark
I feel www.instantchess.com is the good place to play online. Max you have to wait for 1 min to get a partner to play. If you subscribe by paying then they every one can see your score too.

I love to reduce their score by defeating them.. Hope to catch some one there soon.. My id is yantrapark.blogspot.com
linkman2004
I always (used to) play on Yahoo!. I haven't done it in a while. Although I think you need a frickin' Yahoo! account to play it. Confused
PhoenixFire
Recently, Yahoo! revamped a lot of their site. One of the major things they touched up was their chess. It's a welcome change to be sure, since they finally adopted a Flash version of chess to replace the old Java version. I personally love Java just because I can program using it, but it isn't a very good medium for making attractive games. Plus, Yahoo!'s servers are all messed up at the moment, and the Java versions of many of their games don't seem to work properly. I'm not sure if I'm the only one having these problems, but the game doesn't connect to Yahoo!'s games server properly. It's rather obnoxious when you're trying to play chess on a slower computer that hangs when you play the Flash version and the Java version doesn't work.

On a small side note, has anyone tried sending any of Yahoo!'s game pages through the W3C's validator services? It's shocking how many errors there are in the HTML and CSS for those pages (I tried it with their euchre page, but I'm sure the situation is similar for other pages).

Cheers.
Magozar
Go to freechess.org register and then download a program called Babas Chess this will let you play online against real people and also allow you to get ranked against other people who are regestered.
angry_hindu
yahoo games
ClanDestine
Crafty is a great chess engine that is free, atleast I think it is still, it is mentioned above. It is great if you are just getting into the game, but if you are starting to get serious about chess you might consider getting an account at ICC, www.chessclub.com. It is a great website to play games, watch the best play, and meet new people.

If you want to stick with the offline, there are chess programs you can purchase from www.chessbase.com. I personally have Junior 9, but most chess engines there are great for learning and having some fun too. Keep Playing mate, it's a great game!
gamesnmore
I don't know any computer applications, but I have a chess computer board. It's like this small board that can play chess with you. There is no cheating, cause it's a computer. It has an LTD screen and small chess figures. activated by magnets. very good trainer too. You can also play custom chess games with it and solve chess puzzles too.

Very Happy
pokethamage
if you're willing to pay, go get chessmaster...it pwnzorz...i donno what you mean by level...do you mean [easy, medium, hard] or ranks? either way they got both. and it teaches you chess too. but if you dont want to pay then like ppl said go yahoo...
ne2 Luka
I think the best online chess server would be FICS (Free Internet Chess Server) and the best client BabasChess. Both are free.

Offline: One of the best is Chessmaster 10k for a large installment, and K-Chess Elite for small.
trongdinh
sonam wrote:
Hi,
are anybody know some free chess application for download because I would like to play this game offline. If suport levels it will be great. Thanks. Very Happy
Sonam

At http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html you can download a WinBoard/XBoard package with GNUChess and Crafty chess playing programs. GNUChess is strong, Crafty is very very strong. The newest version of Crafty is available somewhere else though if you want it.
Antek88
i play online on polish site http://64pola.pl/. this site is available in uk language: http://64pola.pl/index_en.html and us http://64pola.pl/index_en.html

when i offline i play in chessmaster 9k
PMonkey
With all the great games out there, why would you want to play chess?? Ok, I spose if your a pro chess player, it would be good for a bit of practice. :-p
fashioncrimewave
i've also seen a chess game called Fritz for sale for about $10 in the software bargain rack at Best Buy. A few years ago when I was really into chess and reading mags and such I read that Fritz had won a speed chess tournament involving other software and some IMs. so it's probably fairly good.