FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP and Vista

vignesh_natraj
can i install XP and Vista in a single harddisk and later delete any of these partitions i want to try out Vista but my ram is only 256MB
crdowner
You can certainly install both operating systems on the same drive. If you have a clean hard drive, you can create the partitions before and/or during the OS installation. After you get one OS installed, you will need to setup dual boot. I think you have to us a third-party application to accomplish this. I am sure that an Internet search will point you in the correct direction.

Keep in mind that you can only have one OS running at any given time.
Akselus
Of course you can install both on the same hdd, but on different partitions. To With 256MB of ram even don't try vista, it will be slow like hell :/
golles
you can also install them on 1 partition.
avk
You can surely install both of them..each in different partition

But yeah

it will be SLOW!!!
xkobram
Are you looking for Vista? I am NOT!! Vista will make MORE MESS on HDD, will take MORE RAM and MORE BLUESCREENS!!!! Hate Microsoft! But is the only way how 2 play... most of games like MS
anthonygerbils
well does anyone know how to do a dual booth as i am stuck and i cant do it!
Ray Salamon
anthonygerbils wrote:
well does anyone know how to do a dual booth as i am stuck and i cant do it!

Typically you need a bootloader... I'm from a *nix world, so the phrases LILO and GRUB come to mind. It's a different story when it comes to windows though...
Windows XP nativly had it's own bootloader. If you had more than one OS, a simple mod to boot.ini allowed you to select which one to load upon startup.
However, when you install Vista, at least when I did with Beta 1, things got funky again, as MS didn't even seem to like having it and XP on one box - whether it was on two partitions or two HDDs.
What I ended up doing was installing Vista on it's own drive, then installing XP on it's own. Making sure to do XP 2nd that way if all else failed, it would be the default to load.
First boot time, went straight to XP... so I went in, changed my boot.ini file to reflect that there was indeed another OS installed and to let me boot to it. Reboot, and it displayed the options (XP and Vista), and I could boot from one or the other.
That's the pain-in-the-ass way of doing it... I'm sure there's an easier way to, and I only tried it that one way, so any easier way was not found by me. In a couple of days I'll be installing Beta 2 though, so if I come up with anything I'll let you know...

-Ray
gh0stface
Heh, the computer requirements for Vista are tenatively set.

Quote:

Minimum
Processor - 800 MHz
Memory - 512MB RAM
GPU - DirectX 9 capable
GPU Memory - --
HDD - 20 GB
HDD Free Space - 15 GB
Other drives - CD-Rom

Optimal
Processor - 1 GHz
Memory - 1GB RAM
GPU - DirectX 9 capable GPU with Hardware Pixel Shader v2.0 and WDDM Driver support
GPU Memory - 128MB RAM
HDD - 40GB
HDD free space 15GB
Other drives - DVD-ROM

Taken from Microsoft's Website.
kany
WEll seems like the don't like peole with slower computers run Vista for that much higher requirements. Xp is the best . It can even be run on a Pentium I computer.
Indyan
you cant just delete the partition when you want to remove it.
You would instead need to modify the boot file entry.
If you have os other than windows then it is tougher. You would need to install a bootloader.
chirag
Vista needs higher specs. I don't think it will run smoothly in a system with 256 mb. I think u shld stay with XP. Coz its nice and will run on any system. If u wanna try vista upgrade ur pc.
Animal
Can we please get back to the topic.

This thread is not for discussing the benefits or disadvantages of XP or Vista - the user has asked for help with configuring his computer to run both WinXP and Vista as a dual-boot option.

All Vista-related discussion should go in this thread.

Please get back on topic, or I'll have to close this thread.
IceCreamTruck
This is from the windows help file on setting the default opperating system in a dual boot system. Note: you must install each OS on it's on volume (partition)

Microsoft Help File wrote:
To specify the default operating system for startup
Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer.
Select the Display list of operating systems for check box, and then type the number of seconds you want the list displayed before the default operating system starts automatically.
Notes

To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
To manually edit the boot options file, click Edit. Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not modify the boot options file (boot.ini). Doing so may render your computer unusable.

Also not that modifying the boot.ini is no a good idea, nor is it anything you should tell a new user, as it may cause your system to become unstable or unusable!! Note that this user has not posted a positive response here. I'm afraid that he may have killed his system!!
Xeniczone
Quote:
Of course you can install both on the same hdd, but on different partitions. To With 256MB of ram even don't try vista, it will be slow like hell :/

Ram will not determine the speed of your operating system.

I ran vista on a machine with these specs.

Pentium 3 933mhz
256ram
20gig hard drive
128mb Radion 9200SE

I really hate it when people say that vista will require a pentium 4 at 4ghz to run. I will even try one day to run this on a pentium 2 at 450mhz just to shut you guys up. Just need to find my pentium 2 cpu.