FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Comments on New Color Scheme

Tex_Arcana
Okay I've been shatching handfuls of time here and there to slowly update my site and get things in order. Today I started by installing my proposed color scheme in my Blog section so I can get used to it and generate some comments.

Could some of you knowledgable folks out there plaese visit http://www.arcanumvitae.frih.net/wordpress/ and take a look at my blog and let me know what you think of my colors? Thanks a lot.
Marston
The colors are pretty good, but the design is not... very good. Wink
Tex_Arcana
Marston wrote:

Hmmmm, using my mind reading powers to figure out what Marston doesn't like about the design.......... Darn! it's not working. Laughing

The design part comes from a wordpress theme called Barthelme. I chose it because it's pretty flexable. Eventually I'll come up with my own wordpress theme to match the rest of the site. I'm taking baby steps right now.
Marston
Tex_Arcana wrote:
Marston wrote:

Hmmmm, using my mind reading powers to figure out what Marston doesn't like about the design.......... Darn! it's not working. Laughing

The design part comes from a wordpress theme called Barthelme. I chose it because it's pretty flexable. Eventually I'll come up with my own wordpress theme to match the rest of the site. I'm taking baby steps right now.
It's not necessarily bad, but it just looks very dated. Especially the use of Serif fonts.
Donutey
the contrast between the text color and the background is not that large. (making it harder to read)
Tex_Arcana
Marston: Yeah, I can see what you mean. I do plan on making my own Wordpress template to use later on. Right now I'm getting used to Wordpress and still have to come up with my main site template. The color scheme question is my attempt to work out the issues of the color scheme before hand. There are lot's of nice Wordpress Templates out there but this one has a lot of functions I wanted to use and learn from.

Donutey: Maybe I'm being stubborn (another reason to preview a color scheme is to give me time to catch my sanity and make sure it really works before doing all the work Laughing ) but I changed the links colors to a dark green. You probably mean the whole text color thing sucks but could you take a relook and see what you think? Sometimes just a small change like that makes a whole site look different (especially since there are so many links).

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to look at my site and offer constructive comments. I mentioned you guys in my latest blog update.

http://www.arcanumvitae.frih.net/wordpress/
Donutey
it's not so much that I can't read it perfectly on my monitor, it's just that I know a lot of people have older CRTs that don't have as high contrast and that might be a problem on your site. For my site, I gave up on a color design because it looked horrible on some people's computer monitors. Rolling Eyes
Good luck!
Tex_Arcana
Donutey wrote:
it's not so much that I can't read it perfectly on my monitor, it's just that I know a lot of people have older CRTs that don't have as high contrast and that might be a problem on your site. For my site, I gave up on a color design because it looked horrible on some people's computer monitors. Rolling Eyes
Good luck!

I'm one of those folks with an older CRT (when my old monitor went down I went to a second hand store and bought one for $10 and haven't gotten around to getting a new one) Laughing. That's why I'm finding plain black on white to be a pain and wanting to soften things up a bit.
bgbg
pretty nice colors. I like the site.

good luck
GB
I like the color scheme, it definitely isn't Web2.0's bright colors, rather it is more subtle and has an organic feel to it from the rich greens and browns. It reminds me of some sort of blog about the outdoors. Why did you choose the colors you did? Was it because you just wanted to soften things out? Can't wait to see your new template design.
Tex_Arcana
GB wrote:
I like the color scheme, it definitely isn't Web2.0's bright colors, rather it is more subtle and has an organic feel to it from the rich greens and browns. It reminds me of some sort of blog about the outdoors. Why did you choose the colors you did? Was it because you just wanted to soften things out? Can't wait to see your new template design.

Well, I do have some pet peeves in web design. Stark white backgrounds with black text and blue banners are done to death and I didn't want to do that. I chose the ivory background because at least I find it more restful on the eyes . The greens, browns, and golds are very complimentary earth colors which are also restful and easy on the eyes. I was going for a color scheme that was easy on the eyes and still accessable for the color-blind (I realize that the colors I used are some of the colors that color blind folks have trouble with however I was carful about cotrasts between light and dark shades).

Hopefully I'll have a day off soon so I can break out the GIMP and do my graphics and logos and have the time to do the coding. Barring any unforseen complications (and they are always unforseen and always show up) I should have the template done in a day. Ive been doing a bunch of little things like updating my progress on the blog, installing and modifying the forums (SMF) and chat (PCPin). It's sure keeping me busy while at the same time irritating my wife; mission accomplished. Laughing

I'm getting more comfortable with the color scheme now since I've gotten more positive then negative feenback. I've applied variations to not only the blog but my forum and chat. The only thing left now is to make the template for my HTML pages. When I get that done I'll do a Please critique my site type post. Still interested in peoples opinions, Would especially like the opinions of anyone that is color blind. The concept is still a little confusing to me. I have tested the site by taking a screen shot and then converting it to grey scale but I don't think that is quite it.