FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is cursing allowed?






So how can you express your feelings?
Just say it!
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Cover it with xxxx or ****
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Shorten it
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Don't even say anything if you're gonna curse!
40%
 40%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 40

mantasx
I think I shouldn't be asking or looking for help in this section, but I've seen people saying like WTF? Or something like whatever word covered in xxxx. So can you just write it freely, or do you have to cover it, or can you just shorten it?
Artemis11
Its a rare occasion that I have to curse to get my message accross. In most cases I believe that cursing just makes you look more like an idiot than it does get your point across. If it isn't on a serious topic, and I do have something .. offensive Twisted Evil to say, I normally use a **** or something of the like.
Jeslyn
I am Cleo, call me now.
n0obie4life
Okay, words like WTF, OMFG, ZOMGG!!!! are not really too offensive therefore they are allowed on the Frihost Forums

The other words, aren't Smile. Like the f-word, s-word, b-word, c-word, v-word..on the Frihost Forums.
Vrythramax
I admit, I swear in my personal life, but I have never really found the need to do so online...I have a good vocabulary and I can get my point across very well without the extras...but that's just me. People tend to judge you by your actions, and sometimes non-actions...you can make a much better impression on someone by simply curbing your tongue, or in this case fingers, at times.
the_mariska
Vrythramax wrote:
I admit, I swear in my personal life, but I have never really found the need to do so online...I have a good vocabulary and I can get my point across very well without the extras...but that's just me. People tend to judge you by your actions, and sometimes non-actions...you can make a much better impression on someone by simply curbing your tongue, or in this case fingers, at times.

A very good point of view. Unfortunately, cubring my fingers is much more easier than curbing my tongue. I've been trying to give up cursing for some time, but some days I just can't help doing this. I know it's a very primitive way of expressing myself but WTF can I do? Wink.

My boyfriend tried to help me hitting my hands when I say a swear word. It doesn't hep much. Do you know any better methods? Razz
Vrythramax
the_mariska wrote:
...
My boyfriend tried to help me hitting my hands when I say a swear word. It doesn't hep much. Do you know any better methods? Razz


ummm...no. My wife slaps me in the head when I do, and that seems to work for a little while (mostly because I can't hear out of that ear for a bit). The point I was trying to make was, we all do things in our personal lives, I just have never really found the need to swear after I have had a moment to type, read, preview, then post. Most of the time I catch myself and edit accordingly. It's kind of hard to act spontaneosly when you have to type out each word before actually saying (posting) it. Uness of course you are a speed typist.
tidruG
the_mariska wrote:
My boyfriend tried to help me hitting my hands when I say a swear word. It doesn't hep much. Do you know any better methods? Razz

Tell your boy-friend to not kiss you for a whole day if he catches you swearing...
If that happened to me, I'd stop swearing in a jiffy Razz

BTW, the big words get censored automatically, but sometimes, they escape the filter, so please try to censor your own words. I personally don't like censoring (I haven't enabled any filters on my own personal forums) because mood/tone/etc is best expressed online through language. However, on forums as large as Frihost, where we have members of very varied age groups, we have no choice but to censor certain words out.
Scorpio
tidruG wrote:
the_mariska wrote:
My boyfriend tried to help me hitting my hands when I say a swear word. It doesn't hep much. Do you know any better methods? Razz

Tell your boy-friend to not kiss you for a whole day if he catches you swearing...
If that happened to me, I'd stop swearing in a jiffy Razz

BTW, the big words get censored automatically, but sometimes, they escape the filter, so please try to censor your own words. I personally don't like censoring (I haven't enabled any filters on my own personal forums) because mood/tone/etc is best expressed online through language. However, on forums as large as Frihost, where we have members of very varied age groups, we have no choice but to censor certain words out.


I love tidrug's forum.
It is one place where you can spam your heart out(dont know if tidrug will like it though)

That is a real forum.

Personallly I swear, not a lot, but in the right places.

Right places? for swearing?

You can kinda use this as humor as well if rightly interjected.
tidruG
scorpio wrote:
tidruG wrote:
the_mariska wrote:
My boyfriend tried to help me hitting my hands when I say a swear word. It doesn't hep much. Do you know any better methods? Razz

Tell your boy-friend to not kiss you for a whole day if he catches you swearing...
If that happened to me, I'd stop swearing in a jiffy Razz

BTW, the big words get censored automatically, but sometimes, they escape the filter, so please try to censor your own words. I personally don't like censoring (I haven't enabled any filters on my own personal forums) because mood/tone/etc is best expressed online through language. However, on forums as large as Frihost, where we have members of very varied age groups, we have no choice but to censor certain words out.


I love tidrug's forum.
It is one place where you can spam your heart out(dont know if tidrug will like it though)

That is a real forum.

Personallly I swear, not a lot, but in the right places.

Right places? for swearing?

You can kinda use this as humor as well if rightly interjected.

Then how come you're not a member? Wink
Vrythramax
@tidruG

may I have the url for your forums? I'll be nice.
Jim_the_cat
I actually think it should be just shortened. Im sure EVERYONE here is over 13 years old anyways

unless if a 5 year old makes a site...
Vrythramax
if I am not mistaken, according to the coppa agreement we all agreed to when applying for an account here, you must be 13 or older. At least that's how the standard agreement reads. As for Frihost....I could easily be mistaken.
thpn
****** shit ass ******

I don't know, you tell me.
NjRocket
There really isnt a need to curse on the forums or online in general. I mean what is really proving? Your an online bully? come on lol. Just express your opinions, but it doesnt need to be through curses
alkady
When I swear I censore it myself while leaving 1 letter uncensored to give you guys an idea of what I'm trying to say.
thpn
The title isn't 'Do you think cursing should be allowed?' it is 'Is Cursing Allowed?'. So, I answered the question.
Vashni
there is no real reason to curse online. I mean yeah we all do it in real life, but in text its just stupid sometimes. So i would say no it shouldnt be allowed, not that the young kids these days dont curse anyway.
Vrythramax
the Frihost forums do employ a word filter, so that would certainly lead one to believe that cursing is not allowed, at least not the more serious or derogatory ones.
n0obie4life
Vrythramax wrote:
the Frihost forums do employ a word filter, so that would certainly lead one to believe that cursing is not allowed, at least not the more serious or derogatory ones.


We have one, but only the moer serious words. We don't really like censoring them, but we have to consider about the others like tidruG said.
tidruG
@Vrythramax, the URL is www.tidrug.frihost.net/forums/ (you can check out the rest of my site too, if you want... got some poetry, a blog, etc. The link is in the "www" button below the post.

@Jim_the_cat, while signing up, everyone, indeed, had agreed to beign pver 13. Technically and legally, there are only 13 yearl-olds (and above) on this forum Razz.
However, you'd be surprised at the number of 13 and 14-year olds who don't like cursing and get disgusted at the sight of curse words on forums and in posts... in fact, I've had PMs from members complaining about distasteful language being used in a few posts, which I had to manually snip.

Note: snipping is the word we Mods give to the action where we remove the entire contents of a post and put a "<<snipped for having too many offensive words/other reason>>"... we do this very rarely, though. In fact, I've had to do this only twice or thrice so far, and even that was after giving that particular member a number of warnings.
the_mariska
Quote:
When I swear I censore it myself while leaving 1 letter uncensored to give you guys an idea of what I'm trying to say.

Well I used to do so online, but someone wrote me "Hey, so do you want to swear or not? If yes, why are you censoring yourself, if not, can't you find any other words?" I guess that guy was right. Very Happy

tidruG wrote:
Tell your boy-friend to not kiss you for a whole day if he catches you swearing...
If that happened to me, I'd stop swearing in a jiffy Razz

OK, I'll be a good girl now, I promise Laughing Hope he won't come up with such an idea Razz
Frozen Balrog
I agree i don't cuss personally at all i've decided it's worthless so i don't do it even though like every single person i know and alot of my friends do. But i guess alot of people have it so integrated into their vocabulary that they can't talk without using those words.
Alan S
I voted that if your going to curse its best not too say anything , remember its better to speak nicely and politely than utter a bad word on a public forum where there could be young children reading it
jveezy
To me, swearing is all about intent.

If what you say isn't meant to hurt anybody, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Example: Aw s***! vs. You piece of s***!

The first is just an expression of frustration and is just as harmful/harmless as someone saying "dammit", "drat", "dag nabbit", or whatever. I've heard many substitutes but I see no point in using them if I can just speak what word comes to mind, which sometimes is the swear word and sometimes isn't.

But the second is meant to hurt someone's feelings and therefore I try to avoid it. I've used the f word in frustration many times but I've hardly ever told anyone to go f themselves.
MWANGI
I think you should be allowed to cover it with XXXX.
This way you will have expressed your feelings and you will feel much better.

I think using xxxx clearly and intensely makes sure the other people take you seriously when you are annoyed, impressed or surprised!

Yeah!
dkjut
Cursing should be allowed. People should be able to express themselves in any way they please. Just because it isnt the classiest way to go about things, doesnt mean people shouldnt be allowed. Like every part of language, it can add a different dimension to a phrase or statement.

If people dont like it, well, too bad. I dont like a lot of what I hear or read, but I'm not going to petition it to be banned just because I dont like it.
Whong
I can't stand cursing or talking bad language, its so stupid! I don't think it is a good thing at all! In my opinion people who curse are sivilised! I just hate it and don't think people should do it! Idea
Summer
i will cover it... **** * lol
Vrythramax
upon consideration, even though I will still continue my particular practice of just not saying anything at all if I feel the need to swear, for the others out there that feel so strongly about text on a page, and it bothers them to the degree of having to use expletitives...mask it with asteriks (***), at least we can try to keep it mature in a way.

Just my 2 cents.
curnow
i dontreally care as most curse words are said so often by people that theybecome socially accepted or lose their meaning for example sh*t (sorry i couldnt say s word as there are many) which has becaome socially accepted where ive seen it being said. some may just use cursing to emphasise or exaggurate a statement or even add anger, like
-oh my wheel broke-
-oh my *******wheel broke-
replace the starswith a word and youll see what i mean.
peace out--
Vrythramax
the fact that we have become calloused to some words doesn't exactly mean they are socially acceptable or should be used in front of kids. The thought that simply because "everybody says it" isn't a reason to propagate the use of such language. Not when it so easily avoided.
DeFwh
just let it out......its only a word(s).........hey if it makes you feel better then do it.......just not in public.......women cry(usually) and men swear( about 1/700000 cry)
Helios
If it's necessary for me to deliver a strict message, I will curse out and loud.
twisthigh
I curse, I do, so for me to say that you should cover it when I don't... I just think it's a waste of time to put stars, we all know what the starts stand for, like if you put f***ing, we all read the f-word, so the vulgarity is still there... if you're gonna swear, just do it, your stars will be read as a swear anyway... as for just not swearing, it's ideal, but there are always instances that just bring it out, lol....
Scorpio
DeFwh wrote:
just let it out......its only a word(s).........hey if it makes you feel better then do it.......just not in public.......women cry(usually) and men swear( about 1/700000 cry)


I atleast ensure that the other person cries..
lycadia
To who ever was asking for advice on how to reduce their own habit of swearing (I assume they were asking for advice anyhow), my mother used a "Swear jar". Every time she cursed, she put 2 dollars in the jar. That was 2 dollars less she could spend on cigerettes or coffee or whatever she wanted. Then the money in the Swear jar was instead added to the Christmas money to buy presents for others. I was a good kid, so I didn't go out of my way to make her curse at me... but I was tempted. *grins* Anyhow, any sort of "punative" scheme -I recall snapping a rubberband on my wrist being tried on me to break a bad habit when I was a small child, for example- that involves denying something you enjoy or having to do something you really don't want to would work in theory, if you stick with it and use it regularly. I recall reading that it takes 3 days to form a habit and 28 days to break one, but that might just be bunk. In any case it generally takes more time and attention then one things.
Related topics
is it allowed ?
Are russian sites allowed?
is banner display in Signature allowed?
disguised as freedom
Why am I not allowed to read How to request a web hosting th
Why are we not allowed to put in affiliate links in our sig?
Are spin-offs of other forums allowed?
Allowed to install our own paid software?
any one else think this site is CRAP!
Question about what is allowed and what isn't
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted
Which Forum/Boards are allowed/not allowed?
WHy VBulletin is not allowed
Am I allowed to install these?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.