FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Family Kicked Out of Buffet Restaurant

glennesau
Quote:
DES MOINES, Iowa - Wendy Dershem may think twice before leaving that egg roll on her plate at her next Chinese buffet. The Des Moines woman, her boyfriend and her two children were kicked out of a restaurant last week after management accused her of leaving too much food on her plate.

"They told us we are not welcome there anymore," said Dershem, a repeat customer at the Dragon House buffet. "We waste too much food. But the buffet is all you can eat. And you know kids. They won't always eat everything and they want something else."

Dershem said she paid her $5.95 fee on Saturday but was abruptly told to leave after eating one plate of food.

Employees said they had been watching her family on previous trips to the restaurant and were fed up with her habits.

"They just take one bite and throw it away," said cashier Lin Huyen. "They take four egg rolls and crab ragoon, take one bite of egg roll and throw the whole plate. That is wasting food."

Dershem said she was shocked by the scolding and complained to management when she paid her check. "It was embarrassing. ... If it's a one-stop buffet, post it," she said.

Dragon House manager Kent Cao said his restaurant offers all you can eat buffet, not all you can waste. Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again, he said.

"Shes done that too many times," Cao said. "We would welcome her back if she has respect and knows what she wants."

Bob Oberbillig, an adjunct professor at the Drake Legal Clinic, says the patron would have no legal case against exclusion from a business unless there are other factors such as racial discrimination or mental health issues.

"An establishment can exclude people if they smoke or waste food," he said. "It's still a private business."

-------Comcast.net Strange News

Now I find this really funny. If they got kicked out because they waste too much food, I'd hate to see any other restraunts try and do that. There are many people who don't eat everything that is on their plates. I would never eat at that restraunt. I don't eat everything that is on my plate and I still go back for more lol.
HoboPelican
glennesau wrote:

Now I find this really funny. If they got kicked out because they waste too much food, I'd hate to see any other restraunts try and do that. There are many people who don't eat everything that is on their plates. I would never eat at that restraunt. I don't eat everything that is on my plate and I still go back for more lol.

I see the owners point. If this family has a pattern of taking a plate of food, eating one bite, trashing it and going back for something else then I'd kick 'em out also. That is just wasteful and f'ing stupid. I think the point was made that it wasn't that they left some food on their plate, but that they left LOTS of food on their plate...repeatedly. I say kick 'em out and ban 'em.
xorcist
HoboPelican wrote:
glennesau wrote:

I see the owners point. If this family has a pattern of taking a plate of food, eating one bite, trashing it and going back for something else then I'd kick 'em out also. That is just wasteful and f'ing stupid. I think the point was made that it wasn't that they left some food on their plate, but that they left LOTS of food on their plate...repeatedly. I say kick 'em out and ban 'em.

Ya that's true there's wasting all of that food and only paying $5.95, I would change the rules around the store a little bit though I would just say you can get more food unless you finish your plate your eating or you can only have 1 serving of one thing.
Soulfire
I believe it's a cultural thing though, leaving food on a plate is an insult to them. They might not know any better.
HoboPelican
Soulfire wrote:
I believe it's a cultural thing though, leaving food on a plate is an insult to them. They might not know any better.

I don't think it is cultural as much as it is the economics. Look at the shops quote.

Quote:
"They just take one bite and throw it away," said cashier Lin Huyen. "They take four egg rolls and crab ragoon, take one bite of egg roll and throw the whole plate. That is wasting food."

That is a lot of food not filling someone up. For a small business, a family like that can cost you a lot of dough. I don't think they are worried about someone leaving a little on the plate, or not liking one dish.

Heck, this family, if portrayed accurately, would offend me as a consumer because not only are they wasting food, but it's people like that who drive up the cost for everyone else.

<climbs off his soapbox and slinks away>
Vrythramax
I can understand the woners actions here, and I would more than likely do the same thing...but this is the first time I have ever heard of being trhown out of a resturant for not eating enough. I do know a man who was tossed out of an all-you-can-eat lobster buffet after he scarfed down 21 lobster tails! They let him finish first then as he was leaving they told him never to come back. Not bad when you think about it, 21 lobsters (with side dishes) for $19.95 US (I'm lucky if I can finish 3)
CrimsonStrange
I've love Chinese buffet restaurants, and I see that sort of stuff all the time. People piling up plates & plates full of crab legs, lobster, thick slices of ham, etc... and most of it is tossed.
It seems to be American nature, being wasteful.
I can definitely understand why a restaurant manager/owner would take exception to such disrespect, and it's a crying shame that the rest of us are ultimately forced to pay higher prices because of other peoples' stupidity.
Apparently, people have forgotten that old saying, "Eyes bigger than your belly."
n0obie4life
"For every 500 grams of food wasted, a charge of $10 will be imposed"

That's a good way to get through these stuff Wink
Arnie
That's the way it often works - people are no longer grateful for what they have, and just want more all the time. Maybe that has lead to the popularity of those 'pay ... to eat as much as you like' restaurants.
raman
I think the family was pushing it too far. Its okay to leave some things on your plate but to constantly waste plates of food is uncalled for and I see the managers rational for asking them to leave.
gh0stface
When I visited Taiwan when I was a lot younger, there were a lot restraunts that would actually charge you for the food that you didn't eat and left behind. Which would make customers weary of taking more then you can chew.
Vrythramax
I like n4l's idea, charge them extra for wasted food over a certain amount...and on the other side, set a limit so the...umm...overeaters will also be charged an extra amount if they are just looking to binge.
lukeropro
Yeah the restaurant was right in kicking them out. That wendy woman hasn't spared a thought for those millions of hungry people in Africa by wasting food. If I were the manager I'll ban her for life. Nowadays people take everything for granted. They think everything is just there for you and they don't cherish it...
lukeropro
Yeah the restaurant was right in kicking them out. That wendy woman hasn't spared a thought for those millions of hungry people in Africa by wasting food. If I were the manager I'll ban her for life. Nowadays people take everything for granted. They think everything is just there for you and they don't cherish it...