FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bird Meat- Can We Eat?

myonline
The governments and agencies in the South Asia say that BIRD FLU is never transmitted by eating. They say not a single case of more than 200 positive people was that of a consumer. Is it true? Does anybody have any confirmed report(s) contrary to this? Further, the WHO site says that the BIRD FLUE virus is highly susceptible to heat and dies on 70 degree celcius. Almost all dishes cooked in this area requires much more heat than 70 degrees. Do you people agree that the well cooked bird meat is safe?
theo
how about chicken? Very Happy
DeFwh
i say fish is meat and catholics arent cool enough not to eat fish on lent and fridays

oh yeah chickens good
soulman
what kind of birds we allow to eat? well, chicken is good...
NuniPio
which birds have the bird flu virus? it cant be all birds... or else i would have the virus
Vrythramax
DeFwh wrote:
i say fish is meat and catholics arent cool enough not to eat fish on lent and fridays

oh yeah chickens good

can you explain to me what Catholic eating styles has to do with the bird flu, or are you just spamming for points?

Back on topic...as far as I know I haven't heard of anyone getting sick eating cooked meats, the entire scare was because the flu was highly contagious to other birds, and in some cases humans could also be infected. I'd also like to point out that many hundreds of people die, not just get infected...that number is in the tens of thousands, of the "normal" version of the flu every single year. This all happens without any of the media coverage this "bird flu" has generated.
myonline
They say the virus can be transmitted to almost every kind of bird. The most important carriers are the migrating ducks and similar birds that can carry it from region to region.

About Catholics not good enough to spare fish on certain days, we all have lost respect for religions that mostly teach us the rules of nature. This is the farmost reason why we face environment problems and many new deadly diseases. We have to respect religions and nature that protects us against many evils.
sonam
Kick out meat from your food and be vegie. This is the bes way to exclude flu from yourself.

Sonam
Jack_Hammer
sonam wrote:
Kick out meat from your food and be vegie. This is the bes way to exclude flu from yourself.

Sonam

Doubtful that you would get Bird Flu anyway, very doubtful, but if you were a veggie then you would get to eat dead animal!, Like slices of dead pig, and lamb!
Vrythramax
sonam wrote:

Sonam

the "bird flu" is only one of many types of influenza out there, some of them are air born carriers...so your diet has nothing to do with your ability to avoid catching the flu [in general].

@Jack_Hammer

Nice to see you...WB
lukeropro
Even though bird flu isn't transmitted through eating of birds, I say we still must be careful at all times and try to avoid eating poultry. We should wait for a few more months after the bird flu breakout has ended to start eating poultry again...
alkady
I doubt so, Even if heated at 70 Degrees, Don't you think if the bird was infected, Dont you think there is a small chance one of them would survive because its more resistant.
gh0stface
alkady wrote:
I doubt so, Even if heated at 70 Degrees, Don't you think if the bird was infected, Dont you think there is a small chance one of them would survive because its more resistant.

70 degrees of what? Faranheit? Kelvin? Celcius?

I remember reading an article that once you reach a certain cooking temperature for cooking the birds, the virus will die and it would be safe to consume.
lukeropro
Yeah, according to the Ministry Of Health in singapore, poultry must be cooked at 80 degrees celsius in order for the virus to completely die but I don't think it's safe although I still consume it Very Happy
Dimaod
I sometimes eat chicken< and i like it, but i think its better to buy chicken in a good shops....
Care yourself Very Happy
mying
some of the bird can eat i think. but i never eat the birds meat before. i think goverment not agree of this.
curnow
well apparently you dont have to eat it for it to be transferred to you. just handling the bird or its feces will transfer
lukeropro
mying, the 'birds' can refer to chickens and ducks, not necessarily just birds...
Sukozu
the disease transmits from intense contact with birds or the eating of raw bird meat, ex cats that eat them raw can get it.

as for humans id think as long as you cook your chicken well you would be ok!
a.Bird
i'm not infected but in fact quite tasty. grabs your forks and knives and dig in. Wink
Rmgk
Damn Australia is too close to this mess, i guess ill have to get that vacine...if its out :S
TonkPilz
well as far as i know koking att 70 degree celcius shuld kill any pesky bird flue goo in you meat
yule
The bird general present all received the country to protect, if killed has eaten me to want definitely to be able to violate the law. Everybody what thought?
Idoru
Hm, well...

A lethal flu from birds, of the wild ones, mainly sea-birds, btw... Cancer from,
well, almost everything, hiv from... you know that one Wink , grown heart
and other niceness from drinking alcohol, all sorts of funny states of mind and
body from using different drugs...

I just have to say f**k it!
As good as everything we do is in some way linked to something more or
less lethal...

Twisted Evil The most lethal of all - living in fear... Twisted Evil
windval
no

i am affraid that you can not

because of safety
marcmgeronimo
thank goodness our country is still a bird-flu free country... Very Happy
denggi
I would think that once the birds are fully cooked it would be safe to eat. Most forms of transmission are through direct contact with fresh blood of infected birds.

But...better to be safe if your area is affected I'd say.
Helios
I mostly eat cattle meat, so I don't mind not eating bird meat.
jongoldsz
It shouldn't be transmitted by eating a bird, unless it isn't fully cooked. Most of the time a person can tell if a bird is fully cooked if it doesn't show any of the following symptoms: breathing, feathered, moving, bleeding or doing any process needed by an organism to survive.
Vrythramax
jongoldsz wrote:
It shouldn't be transmitted by eating a bird, unless it isn't fully cooked. Most of the time a person can tell if a bird is fully cooked if it doesn't show any of the following symptoms: breathing, feathered, moving, bleeding or doing any process needed by an organism to survive.

words to live by there Smile

Does anybody really know how this "bird flu" is actually passed on to humans? Is it airborn, through contact, or what? I am just curious...everybody is up in arms about it, but not many seem to know that much about it.
Jaime
The Chinese eat rats, crude chickens and insects by this are infected of many disseases.
Scorpio
jaime wrote:
The Chinese eat rats, crude chickens and insects by this are infected of many disseases.

But they dont seem to be getting ill all the time or something..
da_man
I will carry on eating chicken until i told different.
ltmas
All meat is safe to eat as long as you cook it well enough. Idea
jongoldsz
Quote:
Does anybody really know how this "bird flu" is actually passed on to humans? Is it airborn, through contact, or what? I am just curious...everybody is up in arms about it, but not many seem to know that much about it.

I did some research and I found out that the virus can be passed to a human if a human eats any of the following things: Saliva, mucus, feces or bird meat, in other words anything a bird can dispose of from its body and the bird's body, that has been infected with the virus. Also, finding the bird flu in humans is rare because the virus doesn't work well with humans.
Vrythramax
jongoldsz wrote:
Quote:

I did some research and I found out that the virus can be passed to a human if a human eats any of the following things: Saliva, mucus, feces or bird meat, in other words anything a bird can dispose of from its body and the bird's body, that has been infected with the virus. Also, finding the bird flu in humans is rare because the virus doesn't work well with humans.

Thank You jongoldsz for the definitive answer I have been seeking. From your reading, is this something us Humans shuld really be worried about, or is it something we can avoid by taking the needed precautions? I, for one, will continue in my endevours to not eat bird crap Very Happy

If you could post a link for other users it would be helpful, for myself, I need no further convincing.
myonline
Yeah, there are news that in all the cases the virus was contacted at work and not through consumption of meat. But what makes this bird flu worrisome is: 1. This is deadly while the other influenzas are not. 2. There is no well-tested medicine available yet and the best one available so far is too scarce. 3. The virus is believed to be in the process of transition to a type that can transfer to any animal including goats, sheep and cattle.

Anyways, most of the people who understand this technically believe that a bird meat cooked above 70 degree Celsius is safe coz the virus dies at this temperature. I believe that most of our food around the world is cooked that way and many at a much higher temperatures like 120 degrees. We can do one thing, we can avoid food like Bar B Qs that are not cooked at a very high constant temperature and have depth for virus to hide and heat to reach. I guess pizzas, thin slices of steaks and similar food \baked at above 100 degree for half an hour or so are quite safe.