FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

problem from NTFS resizing

progman89
I have a Dell Inspiron 2200, I'm not sure what kind of hard drive it has. THe hard drive is 27 gigs and I wanted to use about 8 gigs to run Fedora and dual boot with Windows. I used the qtparted tool included in the Knoppix live CD to try to resize the NTFS partition Windows is on. I downloaded a guide from a Linux page that said it should take 10 minutes to resize the partition. Well, I made the changes and clicked the save changes button...the program put up a screen labeled "Step 0 of 2" that said Knoppix was reading my partition information. The computer just sat there for 45 minutes, making no progress, so i decided that since it was only reading the information on the existing partition, I could turn it off and try something that wouldn't freeze on me. I then tried Gparted to resize the partition, but I got a message that the attempt failed.
After doing all that, I tried to start up Windows. While Windows was loading, chkdsk came on with a message that the drive was dirty and that it needed to check for errors. That was fine with me, I let it run. I came back about 2 minutes later and the Welcome screen had loaded...I thought strange, chkdsk usually takes a good hour if it runs a complete disk check. I thought maybe it hadn't checked for all errors, so I decided to run it again...I set it to run, will all possible error checks, at the next boot and rebooted. Chkdsk completely failed to even come on the screen. I can't get it to run at all, and that's not a good thing Very Happy
I got online on this machine and tried to see if I could find a Windows boot CD of some sort with chkdsk on it...unfortunately the only thing I could find was a boot disk that is created from 6 floppies...my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
Ideas?
Donutey
Because microsoft is full of themselves NTFS is proprietary, thus most distros have disclaimer's when you want to resize an NTFS partition that it's "experimental" and the like.

You'll probably need to reformat and create the partitions for windows and linux, as for the floppy, I think there are programs that allow you to put floppy images onto bootable CDs, not sure about that though.
crdowner
You could also try Partition Magic or Partition Commander (www.v-com.com). Neither of these are free but $50.00 bucks to save the time of rebuilding a machine could be worth it.
Akselus
you can always try use Ultimate Boot CD (you can donload it from here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/), there are lots of tools for hdd (also partition recovery if needed).
progman89
Good news, I found the Windows CD for my desktop and ran chkdsk from it. After running chkdsk once, the computer has been absolutely the same as before. Unfortunately, now the computer seems absolutely determined to let me do nothing whatsoever to resize NTFS; when I try to Gparted just won't...does anyone know a tool that you have used on a Dell to do this?
AlexNet
Fedora should have an automatic utility in its installation process...

the k12ltsp version I used had one, and it worked perfectly dual-booting with windows.
phreakdb
I posted this in another thread on the board about more RAM without buying it.

If you went from Fat32 and converted to NTFS, you may have to follow the instructions here. http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php I myself have never tooled around with Dual Boot. I may look into it though, as everyone on here claims that it is one of the hottest things running apparently.
Bones
There is no 100% safe way to resize partitions. Some people do it 10 times and never have a problem, but it only takes once to trash the entire partition. Best thing to do is reofrmat the drive and set up your partitioning scheme then, but most people dont wanna do that, so backup the important data before trying again.
IceCreamTruck
If running windows, then use windows to set up the new partition then install the new OS to the new partition.

WHY IS THE WINDOWS HELP FILE SO HARD TO FIND FOR YOU GUYS!!
(HINT: it's on the start menu)

Microsoft Help File wrote:
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive.
In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
You can create primary partitions, extended partitions, and logical drives only on basic disks. You should create basic volumes instead of dynamic volumes if this computer also runs MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows XP Home Edition.
On a master boot record (MBR) disk, you can create up to four primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended partition.
On a GUID partition table (GPT) disk, you can create up to 128 primary partitions.

This should allow you to use unused disk space to create a new volume, NTFS or whatever file system you want on the partition, then you can install the new OS.

Do not use any other software to resize a windows partition. Use windows so that the windows registry gets the changes properly updated which probably was your original problem.
Bones
This is assuming you already have free space on the drive (free space meaning unpartitioned) You can't use disk management to resize partitions that have already been created though
tamilchild
Hiren boot cd is one of the solution for resizing the partition with no errors
Laughing