FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Dell Networking Problem





hack_man_
I bought a Dell Inspiron 3100 on the 4/05/06. I set it up with no problems or errors apart from a missing power cable for the monitor, luckily I had another one! I came to add my USB wireless adapter and connected it with no problems. I just installed the drivers, not the useless Linksys software that comes with it. I tried to transfer my files to my new PC via the wireless network from a shared folder on my old PC. I connected to the network w no probs, but there was nothing in My Network Places!

I could get the internet, but at a painful speed; slower than 28k dial-up (I have 512k broadband). My other 2 PCs could communicate with each other, each other's printers and the net with no problems but it was my system that refused to be recognised or detected by the other systems.

Now, I can see the other computers and my shared printers and connect to them! Unfortunately, it is at similar speed to the internet, which has not decided to speed up yet. I have double checked every IP, PC Name, Workgroup, etc. and it all fits perfectly.

Could it be Dell's unknown-until-you-buy-it additions to Windows XP? e.g. Operator-assisted dialling. Could it be the Norton Internet Security 2005 (that was pre-installed) that is casuing the slow up? I had the ability to get to any Microsoft site with no trouble and I still have blinding speed for those sites, it is just everything else that is slow!

So my questions are these... wtf? And how the he** do I fix it?

P.S. This is actually the second time I have posted this because the forum connection timed out as I was posting. Just shows how slow it was! It took 20mins to load the page asking me to re-login! I am using a different PC this time!

EDIT: Fixed now! My PC thought that another PC was the Default Gateway and it was looking for DNS from that machine as well. All is well!
Bender1337
first of all i wouldn't have bought a dell they suck.
2nd don't use Norton it slows your already slow dell even more you shouldnt need anti-virus software unless you look at pr0n.

so heres your solution get a better computer dont install programs to slow down your computer
Animal
Bender1337 wrote:
first of all i wouldn't have bought a dell they suck.
2nd don't use Norton it slows your already slow dell even more you shouldnt need anti-virus software unless you look at pr0n.

so heres your solution get a better computer dont install programs to slow down your computer


First of all, that is actually the least helpful post I've ever read in my life. Secondly, it's an offtopic rant that could be classed as spam - too many of these and you'll get an official warning.

hack_man_ wrote:
I connected to the network w no probs, but there was nothing in My Network Places!

Anyway, hack_man_ - I'm pretty sure it's normal for "My Network Places" to be empty until you connect to a network location. it then saves a "network history" of the folders / computers you visit in My Network Places. Try opening any folder, and typr into the address bar (you might have to enable this if it's not already there) something like \\192.168.0.3 - the local network IP address of another computer and see if it works. If not, it's likely that firewall software on either computer could be blocking the traffic - check both software firewalls and the built-in WinXP SP2 Firewall.

You will then need to check if "File and Print Sharing" is enabled - to do this, go to START > SETTINGS > NETWORK CONNECTIONS. Right-click and PROPERTIES on your wireless connection and make sure there is a check mark next to "File and Print Sharing" on all computers. This *might* help speed up the connection, but possibly not.

hack_man_ wrote:
I could get the internet, but at a painful speed; slower than 28k dial-up (I have 512k broadband). My other 2 PCs could communicate with each other, each other's printers and the net with no problems but it was my system that refused to be recognised or detected by the other systems.

Now, I can see the other computers and my shared printers and connect to them! Unfortunately, it is at similar speed to the internet, which has not decided to speed up yet. I have double checked every IP, PC Name, Workgroup, etc. and it all fits perfectly.

This is weird. It's possibly caused by congestion on the wireless frequency - try changing your router to another channel. Are you using WEP? If so, if it's 128bit, try turning it down to 64bit to reduce the processing power needed for general network traffic. Is WEP off? Switch it on - some nasty neighbours may be hogging your web connection to download music and movies.

hack_man_ wrote:
Could it be Dell's unknown-until-you-buy-it additions to Windows XP? e.g. Operator-assisted dialling. Could it be the Norton Internet Security 2005 (that was pre-installed) that is casuing the slow up? I had the ability to get to any Microsoft site with no trouble and I still have blinding speed for those sites, it is just everything else that is slow!

I don't think so. I've used Dell machines before and never encountered this issue. It could be a problem to do with your packet size - if the packets it sends are too small, the computer has to verify the packet transaction far more often than it should. I've not experienced this problem myself, but a few friends have - you could either Google for a registry hack, or try a Windows "Tweak" program to enable web-settings for a fast connection (this increases the packet size).

This any help?
input
Had a similar problem, well I wanted to connect to a local network but couldnt, ended up just deleting norton, this took ages, so many hidden and small files around and now its better. Using F secure now

And no you can get viruses and trojons from other places besides pornographic sites, but your right it doesnt help
Related topics
Windows Networking (easy problem)
Mouse problems with Dell
Please Help Packet Problem
Backup Storage Problem Further Isolated
New Motherboard for a Northwood P4
Dell problem (not exploding battery)
DELL, and their services.
Dell Inspiron 1420 - Vista multimedia buttons problem
Ubuntu/Vista Dual-Boot AND VirtualBox
My dam dell ::
Dell Inspiron 1420 Windows 7 sound problem
Dell S2409W 24" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor - Problem
access forbidden from internet, works locally
Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop problem, pls help!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.