FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has anyone dual booted dell laptop/linux?

photographerguy
I've been getting more interested in linux as time goes on.

My dell inspiron 9300 laptop didn't come with install disks. I haven't done it yet, but I guess I can press ctl+f11 when booting and it will reset everything to the state it was in when shipped to me. I am under the impression that there is a partition that has windows OS on it and doing this will reset everything, even the .dll's and all the other changes made to windows. Just like wiping everything out and doing a fresh install.

Does this mean I can install linux without messing anything up? Technically I should be able to just hit ctl+f11 again if something doesn't go as planned. Is this correct?

Is this separate partition untouchable? Or is there something I can do to cause problems with it.

I guess I'm just being cautious, but there is nothing wrong with that. I've read some forums and couldn't find anything relating to this specific topic. Thanks for any advice.
photographerguy
Never mind, I found a good site that lists almost every laptop and instructions on installation.

Please close thread.