FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my powerbook G4 paint mod

Sharkbite86
Here are some pics of my powerbook mod that i did. I painted my Apple 12" powerbook G4 a while back and posted it on some other sites but wanted to see what you guys thought of it Rolling Eyes ! I took it completely apart, sanded it all down, primed it with "self-etching primer" from dupli-color, and painted it with carpaint from dupli-color. The color is called "Charcoal Metallic" and it looks really sweet Smile .

orno
looks like a dell/HP with the logo replaced with an apple

should have gone for a bright ferrari red or yellow or something Razz

nice professional looking job though Smile
Sharkbite86
heh heh yeah i have gotten that before, but oh well... i still think it looks really good Smile
Donutey
how did you paint the keys?
lukeropro
How did you paint that!? That is totally cool! I wish apple would manufacture their computers in that way!
Xeniczone
looks nice. Reminds me of the apple notebooks before they went to the G3 art thing.

Apple currentlly makes everything white silver and gray.

before G3: Black or white. With ranbow colored apple.

G3: Blue and white Powermac. ---- and white iMac

G4: Gray and white Powermac and iMac, Mac Cube

G5: dark Gray and Light Gray Powermac. white and gray iMac mac mini

Quote:
How did you paint that!? That is totally cool! I wish apple would manufacture their computers in that way!

Well judgeing on the first picture, he took the apple case off the computer. (the how to take your mac apart instrution manuel) then for the Apple logo if it didn't come out I would say he used the scotch tape and taped it up then used a card board cutter and cut it into the apple shape. But what do I know Wink
Lied
Very nice job! On your next attempt try 3M metalic color paint (used in BMWs and cost about 600e/kilogram).I have seen great resaults from this paint.
Balthamos
Very cool; reminds me of the ol' Wallstreet Smile. Did you sand it down or something? I've seen this done with an iBook before, and they literally took a sander to the case to get a nice surface to paint on.

~Balthamos
Lychee
Nice One!!!
Reminds me at the new MacBook Very Happy
alkady
Sweet, If I ever get an iBook or Powerbook I'm going to freakin paint it.
Xeniczone
Yeh I painted my Playstation 2 a metalic blue. Then I took the letters out and put in green lights behind it. So when you turn it on it sayz PS2 lighted up in green, but that is a different topic that I should add.

The only thing I don't like that would be really hard to do so it isn't a big deal is the keyboard and mouse.

They look odd to me being silver when everything else is black, but off course not much you could do because even if you did paint them you loss the letters and they wouldn't stay painted for long because your fingers would take the paint off them after a week.
kiranaghor
Great work.
I wonder how somebosy comes up with such finest ideas?
Good luck for such great efforts.
looksbad
Dam looks great very well finished as well Smile

If i did it id end up mucking up id do something like spill some purple into the silver and it all ends up girly.
Saber
very nicly done, I was also thinking about painting cases/a laptop, how much do you think it cost you overall?
Xeniczone
Probably cost about 20 dollars:
10 for paint
2 for screw driver
1 for sand paper

then 7 dollars for other odds and ends. Like blue painters tape to tape over what you don't want painting.

The only other thing you would pay for is time. You will need to take your time or you may end up with a load of...
henrygl
not bad at all! I really like that touch! looking nice and very clean. What paint did you use?
alkady
henrygl wrote:
not bad at all! I really like that touch! looking nice and very clean. What paint did you use?

I think he used car paint for the nice sparkly effect.
Lychee
Did someone ever cam up to you with somthing like: "Sry is this the new macbook"?

Or not…?