FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Program your mind

Hobbit
I always knew this was possible, but lately I've been using it more.

For example, I was REALLY tired at school. I did not sleep much the day before, I did sports, and I got in the pool (bleach makes my eyes sleepy). But I was just thinking to myself that I wasn't tired, and that I was full of energy, and that nothing could bring me down. Well it worked. Laughing In the last period I was very energetic and finished all my work, rather than sleep in class.

Basically, I think you should all try to think positive under hard physical situations and it will work.

post scriptum - I'm not crazy.
sonam
Quote:
post scriptum - I'm not crazy.

Of course you are not crazy. In many spiritual teachings positive thoughts is most important for good and stressless life. It is not necessarly to think about God or some other poverfull energy because everything is inside us and we can easy to use this great oportunity in our life.

Sonam
Vrythramax
I get that way very often at work as the day goes on...I think it's called an "adreneline rush", either that or the half pot of coffee I sucked down after lunch Smile
Pablo Diablo
Quote:
Of course you are not crazy. In many spiritual teachings positive thoughts is most important for good and stressless life. It is not necessarly to think about God or some other poverfull energy because everything is inside us and we can easy to use this great oportunity in our life.

It is true, if you think hard about how you want to feel, chances are you will shortly start feeling that way. That's why peope sometimes try to keep a smile on their face, the act of smile unconsciously keeps us happy.

<edit: please use quotes next time for quoting>
sonam
Quote:
That's why peope sometimes try to keep a smile on their face

If is smile just empty mimic without iner peace and iner ralization of happiness then you can not trick yourself. Maybe you can chit people around you but result of your action will show your reality. I think it is much better to be angry if you are angry or sorrow if your are sorrow. Only what is important is to remove this emotion from your mind when you don't needed more.

Sonam
the_mariska
Yeah, the last two days I had my exams after secondary school. I didn't care much of it and told to everyone "Exams? What exams? It's just a big test! Laughing " I repeated this so many times that I even started to believe this. And when, after a few hours of writing, I realised that those were the real exams, that my studies' perspectives depend on, I couldn't help laughing. This was also the moment I became stressed Razz

Positive afirmation is bad. Twisted Evil
sonam
Quote:
Positive afirmation is bad.

It is bad if something in you thinking different things then is your afirmation. It is not very simple to belive in your afirmations. If you try to chit yourself they are not working. It is much better to create one longer afirmation like: "I am (little bit) afraid. This exam is very important for me but actualy this is just one long test. I am finished many test before with good results, and I can finish this exame too." Of course, sometimes this is not working because other thinks, or situations stoped us.

Sonam
Jack_Hammer
Vrythramax wrote:
I get that way very often at work as the day goes on...I think it's called an "adreneline rush", either that or the half pot of coffee I sucked down after lunch Smile

Quote:
Epinephrine is produced continuously in small amounts by the adrenal glands, but when the body is threatened in times of excitement, danger, or emotional stress, the brain sends messages to the adrenal glands, which respond by increasing epinephrine production.

This increase in epinephrine stimulates the heart, raises blood pressure, constricts small blood vessels, releases sugar stored in the liver, and relaxes certain involuntary muscles while it contracts others. These changes in the body prepare it for "fight or flight," meaning the body is more alert, physically stronger, and has greater energy. The person is now better prepared to face the danger at hand (fight) or escape from the danger or stress (flight).

ND. Ephineephrine is more commonly known as adrenaline.
Traveller
Hobbit wrote:
Program your mind

Hmmm...Didn't this used to be called "brainwashing"? Wink
lukeropro
Yeah, you should think about positive thoughts when you feel down and want to give up. In Indian tradition, people had to poke wooden and metal poles through they're mouth and body. Some of them said that it wasn't painful because 'their god is protecting them'. In actual fact they're just thinking that god is protecting them so they have a positive thought in their mind, thus not feeling the pain...
Vrythramax
@Jack_Hammer

I did not know that. I was under the impresson that epinephrine and adreneline were differant things. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info Smile
the_mariska
sonam wrote:
It is bad if something in you thinking different things then is your afirmation. It is not very simple to belive in your afirmations. If you try to chit yourself they are not working. It is much better to create one longer afirmation like: "I am (little bit) afraid. This exam is very important for me but actualy this is just one long test. I am finished many test before with good results, and I can finish this exame too." Of course, sometimes this is not working because other thinks, or situations stoped us.

Sonam

What I wrote was quite ironic, haven't you seen? The problem is that I didn't want to believe in anything, I just repeated that to make myself and other people chill. And it was a real shock to me to realise that yeah, I'm sitting and writing the real exam that there was so much fuss about. Wink Nothing more.

A few years ago I was quite interested in afirmations, cooling one's mind, positive thinking and stuff like that. I read a few of wise books and thought that from then I would conquer the world.

Well, since then I've realised that my ideas of arranging my life were just stupid, and I prefer to rely on God instead. Do you know what's the difference between afirmation and prayer? Afirmation means "I am the one who chose my path and everything around me is happening the way I want". Prayer means "I would like this and that, but I believe that You, God, know better what's good for me. So please, do it Your way.". I've experienced that He has much better plans for me than those which I created myself. And that He has never left me in need.
curnow
maybe theres something in the water... hApPy WaTeR for all who swim.
i find having a shower wakes me up give me energy.
soulman
the strength of our mind is geate, but this is base on the true condition of our body. in truth, we can do much more things that beyond our imagine, but usually we force ourself to think we are "tried".

one of my friend tried this: four days without sleep to catch his friends in the airport before final exam, after the exam he go shopping with his girl friend and even swimming at that afternoon.... he is OK after he wake up....
CWFwrestling
Now the trick is figuring out how to program your mind to do work while you sleep...
sonam
@the_mariska
Quote:
What I wrote was quite ironic, haven't you seen?

No, I didn't see ironic. Confused

But if is God (He or She or something) are omnipresent then He must be presented in your mind. In that way positive afirmations is some notice for Him, and can polute some good result in future. Of course no one can quarante for this results. Rolling Eyes

Sonam
the_mariska
sonam wrote:

But if is God (He or She or something) are omnipresent then He must be presented in your mind. In that way positive afirmations is some notice for Him, and can polute some good result in future. Of course no one can quarante for this results. Rolling Eyes

Sonam

That's right. If you do not personally believe that there is Something or Someone that may make your wishes come true, your afirmations are just rubbish. It's not the formula that makes wonders, it's your belief. There is a lot written about it in the Bible, but I also found the same in something written by buddist monk.

However, I still claim that relying on God is much safer. I have a few friends who got involved into magical stuff (yeah, they say only the white magic Confused ), and later they got into serious trouble. [They believed that they were stronger than demons, and it turned out to be wrong. I know you may not believe that magic and demons exist, so I'll leave that matter Wink ] Asking God [I don't mean Christian God only, it's up to you how you consider Him/Her] doesn't involve risk that kind.

Yeah, I know that now I turn to be crazy, but I don't care Wink
kam311
The power of positive thinking is pretty cool. I have to do that at work to keep from falling asleep some days, but even just a positive attitude or outlook changes things around you. Simply within your head, it changes your outlook. Good job, thats not always easy to do.
NjRocket
yea, i remember the days when i would tell my mind different. When i played baseball in the summer, and it was HOT as hell, my coach would tell me to visual something cold. It worked for a little bit until you saw the sweat come off your face lol.
Traveller
kam311 wrote:
The power of positive thinking is pretty cool.
I always find it interesting to talk about the "power of positive thinking" when two people are "thinking positively" about two conflicting outcomes and are each convinced that their "thinking" will guarantee the results they desire.
Vrythramax
I can attest to the power of belief and positive affirmation...but on a much smaller scale than God. My daughter is (just turned) six years old and she was deathly afraid of the water...not a bathtub or shower, but going into the water at the beach or a pool. My daughter has been raised knowing that I would not let anything happen to her, and she believes it with all her little heart. We went to a friends house to swim last year and I was trying to get her into the pool, to say she was reluctant was a gross understatement, until I told her I would catch her....she jumped right off the edge of the pool to me without even a moments thought. I understand love is a powerful motivater, but if she didn't believe that I was going to catch her, she would still be sitting poolside watching the other kids play.
Traveller
Vrythramax wrote:
... but if she didn't believe that I was going to catch her, she would still be sitting poolside watching the other kids play.
Exactly! Belief (i.e. faith) must have an object. She believed in you, and you are a true entity capable of receiving her trust. Most people who exercise "positive thinking" believe in the power of the "positive thinking," itself. Thus, the object of their faith is an abstract concept which cannot possibly receive the trust that the people are placing in it.
Vrythramax
@Traveller

very interesting reply, I hadn't really thought about it in the abstract, but you are correct...I am someone (something) she (my daughter) can reach out and touch...she knows if she has a bad dream I am going to be there or if she is cold I will keep her warm.

Very cool response, thank you...you have me given me much to think about. Cool
sonam
the_mariska wrote:

Quote:
If you do not personally believe that there is Something or Someone that may make your wishes come true, your afirmations are just rubbish.........

I am absolutely agree with all your things. Magic (black or white) is not good, and "positive" results in first moment very fast come bad in future.
Zuex
Vrythramax wrote:
...if she didn't believe that I was going to catch her, she would still be sitting poolside watching the other kids play.

I think that's a great example, also, self belief also plays a great role in our lives, but other things make us do stuff aswell as self belief, like anger, belief in others, belief in a God, determination, also the fact you want to do stuff for others pushs you to doing it like a 10km run to raise money for cancer.
ocalhoun
Reprogramming your mind can be very usefull. A couple of months ago I made pain feel good. Now I have to carefull when hurting myself not to cause permanent damage.

ps: I am crazy.
pll
This thing is really weird... But it work !!!