FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email Certificates

TheGeek
I recently downloaded Enimail for thunderbird 1.5 and i was wondering, it gives me an option to send email with a certificate and I would like to do this, however, I do not know how to go about getting a certificate for this feature. I have heard that you can get them online, but i dont remember how, if you can please advise me i would appreciate it.
orno
i assume you are refering to Enigmail
I've not used it myself but im assuming the Help pages would be a good place to start: http://enigmail.mozdev.org/help.html
Animal
TheGeek wrote:
I recently downloaded Enimail for thunderbird 1.5 and i was wondering, it gives me an option to send email with a certificate and I would like to do this, however, I do not know how to go about getting a certificate for this feature. I have heard that you can get them online, but i dont remember how, if you can please advise me i would appreciate it.

You're talking about an email certificate that allows you to sign and encrypt your email. There are actually two methods for this:

S/MIME (This involves downloading a certificate from a Certification Authority) and PGP (this uses enigmail, like Orno said).

I'd recommend using the OpenPGP (Enigmail) version since you can generate your own keys and have more control over it - I've got a pretty complete setup guide for this on my website. With PGP (or OpenPGP), you don't have to download the certificate, it's self-generated. To do this though, you need Enigmail and GnuPG.

However, if you want to use S/MIME, you can quite easily download a free certificate from Comodo or Thawte. However, you can't use these for business purposes - you would need to pay about $20 for a yearly business certificate (OpenPGP is always free). You'll also need to download and install the certificates using Internet Explorer, then import them into Thunderbird. I've got another pretty complete guide on how to do this on this page of my site.

Send me an email or post in this thread if you need any more help (I'm the resident Crypto-Geek on Frihost!).

Very Happy
TheGeek
Thank you both, ill look into this PGP thing, the only trick would be getting the key to the recipiant....I have yet to figure that one out, but ill bookmark your site and look around and read some more to see what i come up with thanks

and yes i did mean enigmail...sorry, typo.